The Student Room Group

Law Vs English Literature/philospohy

Help! I'm completely undecided whether to do law or a joint honours in englit/philosophy. I think I would really enjoy philosophy, when asking about the subject in the open days i got really excited at the thought of studying it. English literature has always been my best subject in school and one I have immensly enjoyed aswell. Saying that, I have always considered being a barrister, as it sounds right up my street, and I beleive i would find it a great challenge and i thrive under pressure. However I have been told that Law in university is pretty damn boring and alot of work to boot. Therefore my dilemma is born. Do I....
1) Do law, a subject i presume i wouldn't enjoy immensely in university, but would set me off to a great career path.
Or..
2) Do a joint honours in english lit/philosophy and love my course to bits, adn either go into media (which I am equally interested in) or then have to do a post grad in law after to follow a law career (which I hear the process of being called to the bar is a long and expensive one as it is, without having a previous degree to fund aswell).

Sorry to burden this on you people, but i was just wondering if anyone had a similar dilemma as i did and wondered how they overcame it?
(also, did i post this in the right forum?!)
Thanks so much! x
If you don't enjoy law, don't do it purely for career reasons .. you can be equally successful in law as a career without a law degree, and it wil be 3 years you will hate, and probably do worse as a result.
Reply 2
If you go to a "top" uni and get a good degree classification you would be able to do the CPE and become a barrister with an English and Philosophy degree.

If you dont think you will enjoy studying Law to a great extent dont do it, there is an incredible amount of work and extra reading as you will be able to see from the other threads in this forum.

Philosoophy and English Literature would be a good degree to then go and do the CPE with, they are both strong academic subjects which will develop skills needed for a successful Law career, I am sure in Philosophy you argue points? Probably moreso than you do in a law degree. Go for the degree you will enjoy then choose your career path. The CPE only takes a year and you can get sponsorship for it and the BVC (which is another year, which you would have to do even if you had a law degree). If you weren't able to get sponsorship you could always work and do the CPE part time over two years.

Where would you be looking to apply?
Reply 3
kirstinx

Where would you be looking to apply?

Thanks for your help Kirstinx. I'm looking to apply to Trinity College(Dublin), Liverpool,Birmingham and Edinborugh (although I know you can only do scottish law in a scottish uni, so to do law there wouldn't be a good idea for me). So no oxbridge, but pretty good uni's none the less. I'm hoping to get all A's in my subjects (psychology, drama, eng lit). Yeh, I do feel more inclined to do the joint honours and then perhaps the post grad. I've been told Philosophy has about 5 hours of arguing a week(in bham anyways), so i thought it would be pretty good practise if i decided to become a barrister!
All essay based degrees are going to involve a fair whack of argument, do whatever feels right ... an actual law degree isn't for everyone who wants to be a lawyer.
Reply 5
RhiDD
Thanks for your help Kirstinx. I'm looking to apply to Trinity College(Dublin), Liverpool,Birmingham and Edinborugh (although I know you can only do scottish law in a scottish uni, so to do law there wouldn't be a good idea for me). So no oxbridge, but pretty good uni's none the less. I'm hoping to get all A's in my subjects (psychology, drama, eng lit). Yeh, I do feel more inclined to do the joint honours and then perhaps the post grad. I've been told Philosophy has about 5 hours of arguing a week(in bham anyways), so i thought it would be pretty good practise if i decided to become a barrister!

How about Durham? It is a highly rated university for both English and Philsophy.
Reply 6
Havn't really considered Durham, I don't know why, probably because I've been looking for city universities so far. Do you go there? what's it like?
Reply 7
No I am not at uni yet, but I did visit, it was a nice city, the uni was nice and its close to Newcastle.

The Durham forum could probably give you better answers, but you should loook into it:biggrin:
Reply 8
Warwick also offers a Philosophy and Literature course.
Reply 9
Philosophy is pure argumentation. In terms of argumentation, you couldn't get much better training than a philosophical one.

Do what you enjoy the most: fundamentally you need good grades and you won't get them if you don't like the subject. Whatever you do, it's the grades that will get you furthest.

Latest

Trending

Trending