The Student Room Group

Travel Grant

Hello Mark,

I work with outgoing exchange students at my university and I'm wanting to prepare some information for them regarding the Travel Grant as this is something we get a lot of questions about.

I've read the information available online here:
https://www.gov.uk/travel-grants-students-england

However, there's just a couple of things I'd like to check.

"You can apply for:
up to 3 return journeys between your home and the overseas institution during a full academic year abroad
help with essential expenses, medical insurance and travel visas"

For students studying for one semester only, what is the entitlement (1 or 2 return journeys)?

What does essential expenses cover? I applied for a travel grant in 2013 for travel undertaken academic year 2012/13, and I was able to apply for things like local travel to my host institution. Is this still the case?

In 2013 I believe the household income limit to receive maximum grant was around £30,000 a year. Is this still the case?

Basically I am worried about sharing false information in case anything major has changed since I applied for a grant.
But students are regularly confused about the grant and/or get conflicting information when they ring SFE, so I thought it might be helpful to write a short guide.

Thank you for your help
Hello,

If students were just studying abroad for 1 semester then it would just be 1 return journey they would be entitled to.

Essential expenses would cover local travel.

The household income limit is now £39796. If the household income is above this figure a contribution will be deducted from any travel grant payable at a rate of £1 for each additional £9.27.
So, for example, if the household income was £39805.27 (£39796 + £9.27), we would pay whatever the student claimed for minus £1 (as it would be expected the household would contribute this extra funding).
So basically, even if the income is higher than £39796, they probably will be entitled to some travel grant so it is still worth applying.

Does that make sense?

Below is the information we have on our system to help us answer student queries regarding the travel grant. It may be of some use to you.

You can apply for a travel grant to assist with costs relating to study abroad or clinical placements, however you should be aware that to apply for the travel grant your application must be income assessed. The amount you will be eligible to receive will depend on your household income. The threshold for the household income is £39,796, for example, a household income under £39,796 there will be no contribution, however for a household income of more than £39,796 there will be a contribution of £1 for each additional £9.27 of household income. The maximum contribution is £6,210.

You must cover the first £303 of travel costs, however any costs above this will be reimbursed pound for pound.

Eligibility:

Must be entitled to income assessed support

Must be studying abroad or attending a clinical placement as an integral part of a medicine/dentistry course. Elective study abroad does not qualify for a Travel Grant - it must be compulsory (i.e an approved part of the course). *

Overseas study must be for at least 50% of the academic quarter (term)

*The Travel Grant is a supplementary grant so students on Graduate Entry medicine can potentially receive travel grant if they are on clinical placement in their first year only. From year 2 onwards they are eligible to receive NHS funding so will only receive Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan only.

The first £303 of travel costs per academic year are to be met by the Student

There is a threshold of £39796; if the household income is above this figure a contribution will be deducted from any travel grant payable at a rate of £1 for each additional £9.27. Maximum contribution of £6210.

Any costs above £303 are reimbursed pound for pound

Mileage is paid at a rate of 27p for 12/13 AY, 28p for 13/14 AY and 29p for the 14/15 AY.

The cost of mandatory visas, medical tests and medical insurance are also not subject to a disregard. They should be reimbursed in full.

What can be claimed?:
Acceptable claims for travel may include:

For a full year placement up to 3 return journeys between the UK and an overseas institution. The class and method of travel should be deemed reasonable (i.e. no business class flights)

Any necessarydaily travel costs while abroad for the purposes of attending the institution

Travel costs for the dependant children of a single student, where the student has to take their children with them.

Childcare Abroad: Student’s who are abroad can only receive the childcare grant if their childcare provider is approved by the Ministry of Defence’s accreditation scheme.

For travel costs associated with clinical training, where the student is required to attend at a hospital or other premises outside of their institution in the UK

Mileage claims (Please check the number of miles being claimed onhttp://maps.google.com)

The cost of medical insurance purchased for the purpose of studying abroad*

40% of the cost of travel insurance (must include medical coverage)**

The cost of visas and medical tests where these are a mandatory condition of entry to the host country

The cost of any vaccinations required

Evidence:

Letter from the university confirming the clinical placement/study abroad is an integral part of the course

Receipts

* We would pay for full medical insurance or health insurance provided by the host University as this is usually a condition of acceptance.

** We would pay 40% of the travel insurance premium as the cost of medical cover (providing the travel insurance policy includes medical cover).

Hope this helps!

Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser

Eligibility:

Must be entitled to income assessed support
Must be studying abroad or attending a clinical placement as an integral part of a medicine/dentistry course. Elective study abroad does not qualify for a Travel Grant - it must be compulsory (i.e an approved part of the course). *

Hi Mark,

Thanks so much - that's really helpful.

Just a couple of further questions related to the criteria above:

Does this mean students must be receiving a maintenance grant in order to be eligible for Travel Grant? (basically, what is the maximum income before a student does not receive travel grant?)

We have students undertaking a compulsory Year Abroad (eg. language students), but the majority of our one semester students chose to go abroad when they could have remained in the UK. However, all placements form part of their degree studies and they do transfer credits back to us which will appear on their transcripts and potentially count towards their degree classification.
Are these students covered? Technically they elected to go abroad, but the study period is an approved part of the course and bears credit.

Thank you very much for your help
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending