The Student Room Group

HELP! Just 3 AS's??

Ok, today I dropped PE at 6th form (im 7 weeks in and arent allowed to change... so I just dropped it). So i now only do 3 AS subjects (Maths, Computing and Business Studies) I spoke with my colleg and they say that in my second year I can do AS Geography therefore getting an AS in it, whilst carrying on and comleting my other three A levels.

At the moment I have a really easy timetable(13 hours a week.....)

This is basically what I was going to do but the other way round (instead of dropping one subject at the end of my first year and doing 3 subjects next year and 4 this year, I am doing 3 this year and 4 next year.

Will this effect my university application at all? Will I still be able to get into University?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

I don't see why not, although I can't be sure because I don't know. Providing you get the points you need and the grades you need where's the problem? I know plenty of people doing 3 AS's who will then be doing 3 A2's but you're a little bit different.
:ditto:
It shouldn't put you at much of a disadvantage, particularly if you would get three better ASs overall than four; unless you were applying to top Uni's, who may ask for four/five.
It won't affect it at all, you'll just be doing the 4th AS in the second year instead of the first, but lots of people have a pending AS on their UCAS form because they're doing resits.
Reply 4
I wouldn't worry about it. That said, if you've got an easy workload (which isn't something you'll hear a lot of people say!) it might be worth attempting an extra AS level in your own time. I taught myself AS physics in the Lower Sixth year, and got a high A - as a mathematician I found it particularly easy. It's just an idea...
Reply 5
well im just taking 3, full stop, i dropped one and im sticking with 3 for good.

is this ok? x
Reply 6
i got an offer for aston management with only 3 alevels.
Nymphonia
well im just taking 3, full stop, i dropped one and im sticking with 3 for good.

is this ok? x

Yep.

richard321
Will I still be able to get into University?

Yep.

The UCAS form has a section where you state which qualifications you've done and which you're going to do. I put down quite a good mix of GCSEs, ASs and A2s on my UCAS form all over the place, so I'm quite sure they won't particularly be bothered if you do 3 in one year and 4 in another or whatever. As for just doing 3 - I've never known a university to reject someone for not doing 4, in fact almost all offers are for 3 A-levels.
Woah, generalebriety - you are really good at Maths aren't you. :p:

[sorry for being random. :smile:]
Nymphonia

is this ok? x

Looking at your excellent GCSE grades, you should really be aiming for the top unis, so only having 3 AS levels with no good reason for taking a 4th could well be a disadvantage when the vast majority of applicants will have 4 or 5.
Reply 10
Maybe I could do an AS next year that I'd find alot easier than French? Any ideas?
Nymphonia
Maybe I could do an AS next year that I'd find alot easier than French? Any ideas?

What do you want to do at uni? What sort of subjects interest you?
Reply 12
I dont think it will have an effect on uni application as long as you have done 4 As Levels...
but if you wish you could do geography externally with your 3 as levels at college. There are evening classes you can attend, try searchin google to find out more about places to do the subject in your area. :smile:
Reply 13
Most people at my college do 3AS, i was doing 4 but dropped one. I dont think it will be a problem, look at what degrees you want to do, most of my offers ask for GRADE/GRADE/GRADE so I will achieve that.
Reply 14
kellywood_5
What do you want to do at uni? What sort of subjects interest you?

I want to do music... maybe at a conservatoire if I can get in.
Nymphonia
I want to do music... maybe at a conservatoire if I can get in.

Are there any subjects that would be particularly useful for that? Maybe another practical subject like drama or dance?
Reply 16
kellywood_5
Are there any subjects that would be particularly useful for that? Maybe another practical subject like drama or dance?

I'd love to do drama, but I haven't really done any drama-related things since I was about ten lol. I got grade 5 drama then and then had to stop taking lessons. Would it be possible for me to take it even though I'm rusty - very rusty?
If the talent is still there, I don't see why not
(Opinion from the crappest drama student ever :p:)
calcium878
If the talent is still there, I don't see why not
(Opinion from the crappest drama student ever :p:)

Check with your school/college because they might require GCSE, but if you really want to do it and you've done it before, albeit a long time ago, I'm sure you could talk your way in.
It shouldn't make too much of a difference! i was going to to the same thing, last year i hated law, i was just completely bored with the thing so i went to see someone about dropping it and they convinced me to keep it on. Anyway come summer exam time i stopped going to law to revise chemistry, i didn't care if i failed law, i ended up with AABC (C in law) and i was gob smacked, i mean...come on...i didn't do ANY work, i even got a B in one of the modules...shows how easy that subject is :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending