The Student Room Group

Taking an exe file into my school

Hi tsr. Basically my school blocks any exe files put on to the computers. I want to take in a exe file with a usb is there any way i could convert it/pack it so the system does not recognize the exe file?
Original post by alidoge
Hi tsr. Basically my school blocks any exe files put on to the computers. I want to take in a exe file with a usb is there any way i could convert it/pack it so the system does not recognize the exe file?

well what executable are you trying to run that you are so desperate to run. I don't think you can necessarily just package it as something else because at the end of the day its an executable file that still needs to be opened, even if you hid it in a zip or RAR file. And besides, on a school network they would sniff out the application right away, either by a tutor monitoring the computers on a master screen by seeing you mis-using the PC OR the network admins will sniff you out because something new has emerged on the system that they haven't authorised.
Original post by alidoge

Whatever tool they're using to enforce this ban will probably find the unpacked exe when you reinflate/unpack it (not to mention you don't have a good way to unpack it without using another application.

What are you trying to bring in?
Reply 3
im trying to bring in a portable browser
Browsers are first initialised by exes, and thus you cannot run them without removing the ban.
Reply 5
Try renaming it so it has a .scr(screensaver) extention.
Try rename it explorer.exe they might have explorer on a safelist.

I bet you can fool it somehow just experiment.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by INTit
Try renaming it so it has a .scr(screensaver) extention.
Try rename it explorer.exe they might have explorer on a safelist.

I bet you can fool it somehow just experiment.

File extensions are meaningless. Whitelisting looks for PE headers to decide whether something is executable. And whitelisting usually works on hashes, not filenames/paths.
Reply 7
Original post by Mad Vlad
File extensions are meaningless. Whitelisting looks for PE headers to decide whether something is executable. And whitelisting usually works on hashes, not filenames/paths.

Damn things are sophisticated these days. Sounds like it would be a pain to keep everything in sync - won't the hashes change often when something gets updated causing false alarms ?
Original post by INTit
Damn things are sophisticated these days. Sounds like it would be a pain to keep everything in sync - won't the hashes change often when something gets updated causing false alarms ?

File extensions are a contrivance of user functionality - you can call a word document "i_love.penis" and it'll still open. They're just a convenient way to get the OS to know what to open a file with and for humans to have an idea what a file is.

It's actually relatively easy, especially if you don't support much software in your environment. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending