The Student Room Group

Can mature 'non-students' undertake work experience?

I completed my Access to Science and Health course last year but due to lack of experience (along with personal reasons) in my chosen field I did not end up applying for university. Now I'm looking to apply for Vet Nursing next September, however most ask for 'atleast 2 weeks work experience in a veterinary practice.' Can I do work experience even though I am no longer affiliated with a college? On the CareCompanion website, it only mentions arranging work experience for school goers.

If I'm not able to undertake this work experience, should I just carry out volunteer work instead? I do want to volunteer during the next 12 months anyway but not really sure there is a point chasing after this if I'm not likely to get a place due to not being a student.
Reply 1
I can't see why volunteering externally would be an issue as you would still be getting the valuable experience. It's worth contacting the places you'd like to volunteer and explain the situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Try contacting local vets to see whether they could oblige, if they are not interested I expect your nearest RSCPCA, PDSA or animal shelter would appreciate some help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending