The Student Room Group
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website

Fashion buying management

Hi! I've got an interview for this Wednesday coming for the fashion buying management course. This is my first interview so I'm quite nervous about this. Has anyone else got an interview or had an interview for this course, so I know what to expect for the interview to prepare myself. I finding it hard to prepare answers for questions other than why I want to be on the course!
I have applied for this course too and I haven't received an interview yet but I was just wondering do they ask you to bring a portfolio or any work with you?
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey! I have my interview on the 4th of feb for this course. The questions I've seen so far that people have previously been asked are:

what recent film has influenced a recent fashion trend?

favourite designer?

favourite high street shop and why?

what is involved in a buying/merchandising job?

good qualities a fashion buyer should have?

if you were a fashion buyer in charge of a department how would you find out about trends for the next season?

this seasons trends?

next seasons trends?

style inspo?

what collections are in high street & designer stores?

name some influential fashion buyers?

what skills does the fashion industry expect a buyer to have?

what inspires you?

what are your aspirations for the future?

where would you like to see yourself in 5-10 years time?

what are your personal strengths?

why do you want to do a degree?

what are your weakest points?

why do you want to study here in particular?

which shops on the high street are doing well at the moment

​Also, I've been asked to bring either a piece from a portfolio to show my creative flair or some of my business acumen. As someone who takes no creative, nor business related subjects I have no idea what to present to them?! Please let me know if you have any ideas!
I also have my interview the following Wednesday however I have no fashion background. Any ideas if they take on students without any fashion experience for this course? taking into consideration I do have design experience in product design and do a business a level.
You should look at bringing together a design piece of some sort. This can be easily done by tracing a design you like and working around that changing the design slighty, with this you could add fabric samples etc. From the research I have done you don't have to be incredible creative
Hi,

I had my interview in January. I am an international student applying for BA Fashion Buying Management
I had the interview via the phone. It took only 10 to 15 minutes.
Few days after I got an conditional offer!
The questions that they have asked me was to explain the current courses that I take and relate it to the course I want to apply to. I also had to talk about my favorite fashion designers and retailers, explain why they are significance as well. I recommend that you read through the course carefully, the interviewers like that you ask them questions regarding the course because that shows that you've studied.
Reply 6
Original post by monishabegum
I also have my interview the following Wednesday however I have no fashion background. Any ideas if they take on students without any fashion experience for this course? taking into consideration I do have design experience in product design and do a business a level.

Hey, so I had my interview yesterday. It takes place in the form of a group interview and your asked only one question individually and one question as a group. My question was: how do I research the industry? The only fashion experience I have is a part time job at Topshop but they didn't seem to want any but they do prefer it if you have a retail job; they said the course is 30% creation & design, 70% business & academic demand so I'm sure you'll (monishabegum) be fine! Also to anyone wondering there's no maths or english test :smile:
Reply 7
I had my interview then as well, have you heard anything yet, i'm getting worried?!
Reply 8
Original post by kblood1
I had my interview then as well, have you heard anything yet, i'm getting worried?!

nope, nothing, but they said it could take two weeks or more so don't worry! I'm sure we'll hear something soon :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by narsmac
nope, nothing, but they said it could take two weeks or more so don't worry! I'm sure we'll hear something soon :smile:

okay phew! i thought they said we would hear a couple of days after so was worried!
Reply 10
has anybody heard anything back from their interview yet??
hi guys have you heard back from your interviews yet?
It took a week after the interview to get the offer for me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
i have an interview in 2 weeks, i am soo nervous
How do we dress
how long does it take

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending