The Student Room Group

BDO assesment centre 2015

I was just wondering if anybody who has been part of a BDO assessment centre either this year or last, could give me some help as to what to do for the presentation? how did u present it as powerpoint is not an option, and how long did yours last?

Scroll to see replies

Hi there! I did mine last year and made it through! I did mine on Netflix but it doesn't really matter which company you do, it's more about how you research whichever you do pick and whether you have the confidence to deliver it well. Really they just want to know if you can speak to clients in a way they'd approve of. It'll be done in a meeting room, almost certainly with just one manager for you to present to. So don't worry about a daunting judges panel;-) just be confident and very clear, and if they say you can either stand or sit to present (they did with me) then definitely stand, you look more prepared! I just wrote my whole presentation word for word and took it in with me to look off. Obviously you can't just read and eye contact and body language is essential, but it's good to have the actual words you'd like to say in front of you! Hope this helped! Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also it won't be long, mine was definitely no longer than 6-8 mins😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thankyou for your reply very helpful! in the assessment centre are the other candidates all going for the same position and job role as you? I am applying for school leaver scheme btw for BS&A
(edited 9 years ago)
Also what would you say chances of being successful in the AC are , is it low and lots of people make it to AC but only a few get through or is it that quite a good amount of people get offered a contact obviously upon doing well during the day
There'll be a mix of grads and school leavers (I'm one too) and ther

Posted from TSR Mobile
*There should be about ten in, there was only one other guy going for my position but obviously there'll be more school leavers in England (I'm in Scotland) because of uni fees

Posted from TSR Mobile
And by the assessment centre they want you so it's yours to cock up really! Hahaa!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay thanks for your help, I have mine Wednesday and this is the one I want the most out of PWC EY and BDO so any help or advice would be appreciated!
Well best of luck to you! My only advice other than what has already been said is absolutely make sure you know this is for you, at 18 it's hard to know what's definitely for you and what's not but I can say that BDO is a fantastic company to work for, incredibly friendly people and you'll always get a good laugh out of them! The issue comes with changing your mind; it'll cost you a bomb to drop out after any Icas/icaew work!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
okay thank you and yes a lot of consideration has gone into this and I understand that it will be hard work and balancing work and studying will be key. can I ask what you do exactly? are u in audit? do u find you have a lot of interesting work and clients?

also any tips on the in tray exercise at AC
Sorry for all the questions
Yeah I work in audit, some of the work is boring I'm not going to lie to you. But you constantly meet different clients and see how different businesses work, so it's an unrivalled way to gain business experience! If you've put the thought in then I'd say go for it!

Just make sure you aren't quiet in the exercise, give them something to judge you on! The worst thing you could do is be shy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah fair enough what are some of the biggest companies you've audited for? And yes I'm quite nervous about the in tray exercise as that's what I feel I could mess up on, what exams are you currently sitting and how many hours a week do u study
Also do u feel at a disadvantage to those working for a big 4 firm? or that in anyway you might be losing out on experience in bit 4
The biggest one I've worked on was 2 weeks ago, £300m turnover! But they do plenty of big companies, football clubs, etc. Honestly the key to the in tray is confidence, it just measures how well you'll be with clients, be confident and you'll be fine! I'm doing Icas rather than icaew but the structure is fairly consistent. I did one exam in December, I've got another in June, and then three next December. Then obviously more after that but at a more advanced level. If I'm honest I don't study much, it's certainly nothing in comparison to A levels! But then again this is only the first difficulty level. I studied maybe an hour a night for a few weeks before the exam! I'm sure some will do more and some will do less, it's all relative I suppose!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm actually really excited to hopefully make this step and not be working part time and a college as I feel I want a career to work towards. sounds like you do enjoy your time at BDO as well? so your yet to start studying for you ACA then
I don't think you're disadvantaged at the moment, you'll learn more as a whole I think. I've heard big 4 employees work on one section of an audit for ages as they're just so big. However, I'm not naive enough to not see that some top banks and the likes will favour big4 training. The large, large majority will see your ACA and jump at you though! So you'll never be out of work in your life! Yes I have to say I enjoy it, but there are times where you'll be up for work as all your pals that went to uni will be just getting in from nights out and the likes! That's definitely a pain to get used to! I'm doing the CA rather than the ACA, it's no different just the Icas exam board rather than icaew, but yes I've started my CA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah that's understandable if you don't mind me asking what was your starting pay like? and has it changed over the last year, that's surprising to hear because iv actually been told the ACA is very very challenging compared to A levels! also what was the interview like in AC was it same as the first stage one
****e!😂 mines £14.5k, but I've moved out, most school leavers live at home, and it increases the further south you go. It will become difficult, but the first few tests aren't so much. The second interview is with a partner, sounds daunting but I found it easier than the first, mine was more of a chat!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending