The Student Room Group

What sort of things do you write on your index cards/sticky notes?

Evening all :biggrin:

Kind of new to this so I hope i'm posting in the right way!

I've recognised that a lot of people seem to use mindmaps, index cards, sticky notes and such to revise. I've bought a tonne of both index cards and sticky notes but I'm not quite sure where to start!

I have a bit of a tendency to write a bit too much (i'm doing it now!), so I want to keep it short and sweet so it's easier to remember. I want to stick them around my room and I'm studying GCSE Triple Science, GCSE Mathematics, GCSE English (lang and lit), GCSE RE and GCSE Psychology off my own back due to health issues so I REALLY need to keep myself in gear to learn all this stuff :awesome:

ANYWAY, what sort of things do you write on your index cards/sticky notes? Formulas? Definitions?

PS. I'm in year 11 if that is of any help...:yes:

Thanks in advance \(^.^)/ x
Reply 1
Key words with definitions for maths general rules formula example graphs. For English lit you can do a character mindmap with quotes and reactions will help get in depth with the characters quotes on post it notes and page numbers for key events

Posted from TSR Mobile
You don't always have to write down! You can type! Use Quizlet or ExamTime, they really help me study and get some decent grades in subjects. If you still feel like you're struggling even trying those out then you can try out audio files, some people have different techniques for learning. Try them all out, explore them! (btw I am in year 9, in the stage of thinking about options!)

-MrMackyTv
I think it's really easy to write too much, especially because you don't want to forget anything or miss anything out. I find it helpful using a combination of techniques to help me with this. I like using index cards with key definitions and questions on them that I can answer but I also like making revision notes to go along with them (which are more detailed). When I write things out, it really helps me to take things in even though you might prefer to type them out. I know this is a bit of a long process but I think if you start revising earlier enough it is worth doing.

I read a blog last week which had some revision tips, which you might want to look at http://www.beatexamstress.co.uk/blog/

They recommend that you go over topics a few times to help you to understand them and memorise them. I think it is also good to test yourself on your notes - I do this by preparing questions based on the notes and then answering them a few days later. It helps me to check if I have actually remembered it. Hope this is helpful.
Whatever works for you is good, but, for me personally, I cannot stand all of these revision methods, such as 'colour-coding', 'mind maps' and writing key terms on post-it notes, which do not aid your understanding (and therefore memory) in the slightest.

What worked for me was use of CGP, the good old-fashioned textbook and LOADS of past papers.
Original post by Cadherin
Whatever works for you is good, but, for me personally, I cannot stand all of these revision methods, such as 'colour-coding', 'mind maps' and writing key terms on post-it notes, which do not aid your understanding (and therefore memory) in the slightest.

What worked for me was use of CGP, the good old-fashioned textbook and LOADS of past papers.

I partially agree, so many people I know make huge colourful mindmaps etc with organised sticky notes all around their bedroom, I'm just trying again at these to make sure this is definitely not the way I learn. It doesn't seem any different from a textbook :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest