The Student Room Group

Advice? Travel and Work to improve speaking French.

Hi there.
I finished uni in July and I have been working/volunteering at home since. I am very keen to live abroad in France and then possibly travel around other parts of Europe. I'm currently having french lessons and trying to improve my level before I go. So I am trying to plan what to do.

Working in a camp.
I have thought about doing this. As it would help me adjust to living abroad, meet new people, but most of these places speak English and from things I've read, you less likely to speak french. But maybe i'm wrong.

Overall I've thought about working in a holiday camp, other seasonal work, au pairing, volunteering through workaway.org

My biggest dilemma is that I want to find an opportunity that enables me to be immersed in the french language and push me to speak it. But I don't think my level is good enough to get a job that uses french.

Does anyone who has worked abroad or wanting to do a similar thing to me have any advice. Thanks.
Reply 1
Hello, i am french so i think than maybe i can help you. I live in Paris and there is very much stangers who don't have a perfect french but actually they find a job in bar and coffee.
You should maybe spend some holiday in france, in little city , speak with french student, improve your french and learn a vocabulary appropriate for the job you search. You will probably try first " au pair " to improve and work in the same time, i think this is the best thing to be completly in the french language. I don't really help you but if you have any question about something formal from France, don't hesitate. I'd like do the same thing in England , so i'll take all your advice too ! ( oh and sorry for my ,maybe, bad english )
Bye!
Reply 2
Original post by Gemzaar
Hi there.
I finished uni in July and I have been working/volunteering at home since. I am very keen to live abroad in France and then possibly travel around other parts of Europe. I'm currently having french lessons and trying to improve my level before I go. So I am trying to plan what to do.

Working in a camp.
I have thought about doing this. As it would help me adjust to living abroad, meet new people, but most of these places speak English and from things I've read, you less likely to speak french. But maybe i'm wrong.

Overall I've thought about working in a holiday camp, other seasonal work, au pairing, volunteering through workaway.org

My biggest dilemma is that I want to find an opportunity that enables me to be immersed in the french language and push me to speak it. But I don't think my level is good enough to get a job that uses french.

Does anyone who has worked abroad or wanting to do a similar thing to me have any advice. Thanks.

Take a French boyfriend. :dontknow:

"La meilleure façon d'apprendre le français, c'est sur l'oreiller."
Reply 3
Original post by lorine
Hello, i am french so i think than maybe i can help you. I live in Paris and there is very much stangers who don't have a perfect french but actually they find a job in bar and coffee.
You should maybe spend some holiday in france, in little city , speak with french student, improve your french and learn a vocabulary appropriate for the job you search. You will probably try first " au pair " to improve and work in the same time, i think this is the best thing to be completly in the french language. I don't really help you but if you have any question about something formal from France, don't hesitate. I'd like do the same thing in England , so i'll take all your advice too ! ( oh and sorry for my ,maybe, bad english )
Bye!

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have been thinking that the au pair option may be the best, as it will probably be the best way to learn french.
I don't know if you have any advice on this but I was slightly unsure about going to Paris, one reason being the price but also, people are more likely to speak English to me.

Good Luck with your plans to come to England. Are you thinking of au pairing also?
Reply 4
Original post by Josb
Take a French boyfriend. :dontknow:

"La meilleure façon d'apprendre le français, c'est sur l'oreiller."

Yes, I wish I could find one :wink: Great quote.
Reply 5
Original post by Gemzaar
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have been thinking that the au pair option may be the best, as it will probably be the best way to learn french.
I don't know if you have any advice on this but I was slightly unsure about going to Paris, one reason being the price but also, people are more likely to speak English to me.

Good Luck with your plans to come to England. Are you thinking of au pairing also?

Yes price can be very expensiv.. but if you are au pair I think you will not have problem ( aucun rent actually ? only some marketing no? ) and don't underestimate the lazy side about french people they will speak french to you because they'll probably don't want make an effort to speak english :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest