The Student Room Group

Halls during midwifery/nursing?

Hi!
I'm stuck between living at home or in halls when I go to university, I was thinking that halls would give me a better experience, but with midwifery do you really get to enjoy this social side of it? Or are you just too god damn busy?!:confused:

What is it like living in halls as a nursing/midwifery student?
Original post by Courtney1996
Hi!
I'm stuck between living at home or in halls when I go to university, I was thinking that halls would give me a better experience, but with midwifery do you really get to enjoy this social side of it? Or are you just too god damn busy?!:confused:

What is it like living in halls as a nursing/midwifery student?

Hey,

I'm a 3rd year student nurse. I spent my first two years in Halls, which may make you think that it's not all that bad, but for me personally, both years were really difficult. (The only reason I stayed in Halls was because all my friends at uni already lived locally with parents/partners so weren't looking to move, whereas I had left home to go to uni).

To be honest, I really struggled with halls. It was difficult being woken up in the early hours of the morning, and I was late to placement and uni a few times because of this. Even though I tried to explain it to them, my flatmates just didn't understand the intensity of my degree.

I'm a very clean person and cook a lot, so I also struggled with having to clean up the kitchen lots, especially after a 12 hour shift, just so I could cook my dinner. This might not bother you as much though.

If I had my time again, then I wouldn't live in Halls. That said, it's all about who you live with. If you get on with them then it can be great. If you don't, and they play loud music & are disrespectful, then it can be really awful, and difficult to get out of.

Please bear in mind though, that this is just my experience. Plenty of other student nurses will have had good experiences in halls. Some universities offer accommodation specifically for nursing and midwifery students, so if you can get in there that may be better as they understand the nature of the course.

Hope that's helpful!
Joel
Reply 2
I would move into halls. I shared my flat with 4 other nurses and midwives and it was fine. Yes, you get woken up. But by the time you move out you will be able to sleep through just about anything.

I think halls is a better experience and less isolated. However this is just my personal experience.

Amy, third year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply