The Student Room Group

Which unis are best for students with anxiety?

Scroll to see replies

I have really bad anxiety as well and am going to Exeter in September and was just wondering how introverts actuall cope at Uni considering it's practically a constant social situation?
The collegiate system is a good way to make friends because your college becomes like your little family within uni :smile: Other than Oxbridge, the universities which have this are Lancaster, York and Durham (unless there's any more I'm forgetting!)

I'm at Lancaster and I think you might like it- it's not an inner city university and it's great for welfare. We have a counselling service, and each college has welfare officers that you can speak to if you're having difficulty with anything or if you just want to talk. I know plenty of people who don't go out and are still perfectly happy with lots of friends, and there's over 200 societies to meet people with similar interests :smile:
Original post by Exceptional
I fifth that.

I sixth that
Reply 23
University of Bath. All the way.

I was in the same spot as you not 4 months ago. I get social anxiety sometimes, although it's very mild. Before going to uni, I was extremely worried about going into university especially because of how some aspects of uni life seem to be potrayed in the media, and on TV and whatnot. Suffice to say, I am pretty insecure at times, and I thought I wouldn't be able to participate in anything come uni time, and that everyone would be nothing but short of being overtly extroverted.

That wasn't the case in bath. I've met people from all walks of life, and personalities I thought I would never come accross in university. It has been incredible so far. The atmosphere, and the people in it, has so far been nothing but stellarly supportive and friendly.

If I could recommend anyone a university for any reason whatsoever, it has to be University of Bath. It's no surprise really after I found out it has won the no.1 student's satisfaction award in the UK for 2 years running :P
(edited 9 years ago)
I agree with Royal Holloway.

Also agree with collegiate unis, I'm at York and from what I've experienced the support system's really good. We have a post-graduate student living in every block who's on call throughout Freshers to help you settle in, and the college team are really good too. There's someone in my flat doing History and he seems to like the department and course. :smile:
When these universities come into threads its like the big boss is talking:eek:
Original post by BCMFM16
When these universities come into threads its like the big boss is talking:eek:

That marketing. :wink:

Thanks to RHU & Keele for responding though! :h: :yy:
Oh my gosh, I'm getting so many replies, haha :biggrin:

Thanks to everyone who's responded! You're all being so helpful, it's lovely! I'll be taking everything everyone has said into consideration. I'm making lists like crazy of things to look into and research haha!

Thanks so much! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by FreyaGreaves
I'm currently doing my AS levels, and am only really just starting to think about which university I would like to go to.

I have struggled with anxiety and various other mental health issues for a number of years, and I was wondering which universities would be most supportive?

Of course, I'll be going to open days later on in the year, but it would be useful to know anyone's honest experiences and recommendations. Are there any unis with a particularly relaxed atmosphere? :smile:

I'm looking into doing a degree in history, so one with a good history department would be good, and also I'm not sure how I'd cope in an inner city university, so more rural or out of town ones would be nice too. I'm not fussed about it having good nightlife anyway, as I'm not really into that. :smile:

Im applying to physics not history so im not sure about its reputation for history but when i was on the lancaster open day i was shown round by a phd student who had anxiety and did her undergrad degree at lancaster, and she said they went out of their way to help her and get extra time for her in exams ect. because of her mental healt issues and how supportive they were. She also said she started her post grad studies at Durham but they were so unsupportive and didnt really help her even when she made her problems know to them so she moved back to lancaster. An i loved the rest of the uni as its campus and collegiate, and the town isnt very far away but it seems quiet and really nice!! i really recommend it
Reply 29
If you are looking into Exeter make sure to check out applying specifically to the Cornwall Campus. I heard very good things about the history department when I was there. The campus is down in Penryn near Falmouth and quite small, I prefered this as it was more intimate and the community was great. Super relaxed atmosphere as it is right near the sea as well. The student union there - FXU - (the campus is shared with Falmouth University) are truly great with everything including tackling mental health issues among students and providing resources. They actually have a "Mind Your Head" campaign running at the moment.
Original post by abimoon
Im applying to physics not history so im not sure about its reputation for history but when i was on the lancaster open day i was shown round by a phd student who had anxiety and did her undergrad degree at lancaster, and she said they went out of their way to help her and get extra time for her in exams ect. because of her mental healt issues and how supportive they were. She also said she started her post grad studies at Durham but they were so unsupportive and didnt really help her even when she made her problems know to them so she moved back to lancaster. An i loved the rest of the uni as its campus and collegiate, and the town isnt very far away but it seems quiet and really nice!! i really recommend it

I'm really surprised to hear that about Durham actually! It's nice to hear that Lancaster is so supportive though :smile:
Original post by Jen92
If you are looking into Exeter make sure to check out applying specifically to the Cornwall Campus. I heard very good things about the history department when I was there. The campus is down in Penryn near Falmouth and quite small, I prefered this as it was more intimate and the community was great. Super relaxed atmosphere as it is right near the sea as well. The student union there - FXU - (the campus is shared with Falmouth University) are truly great with everything including tackling mental health issues among students and providing resources. They actually have a "Mind Your Head" campaign running at the moment.

That sounds lovely! Were the SU quite active and were there many societies and activities to join in with? :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by FreyaGreaves
I'm really surprised to hear that about Durham actually! It's nice to hear that Lancaster is so supportive though :smile:

Its terrible that happened at Durham, it's totally unlike my experience. I did my undergraduate and postgraduate studies there. I had some difficulties and used their counselling service. It was great for me, very supportive and really helped me deal with the issues I was having. The collegiate system was also great, colleges each have their own welfare teams, run by the students, with drop in hours and excellent formal pastoral systems. I work at Durham now and am part of the pastoral team in one of the colleges. I can honestly say that there is a real focus on student experience and support. Moreover the colleges have a fantastic range of clubs, societies and events (in addition to the university wide ones), it is definitely like having your own Durham family. Most colleges allocate their students mentors (the role I am involved in), so you will have a point of contact outside the formal hierarchy, in case you need someone to talk things over with. You also get college parents (students in higher years) who help get you orientated when you arrive and make you feel part of the community. Finally you will have a departmental tutor who is there to help with your academic and personal development. If your interested I'd definitely come to one of the open days.
Reply 33
From what i've heard, i'd really recommend St Andrews or Durham. Really great small town feel with both places, but you already seem to have a few suggestions. Good luck with finding somewhere you do like !
Whilst I have never been diagnosed with anxiety, I have suffered from it in the past, and I found Royal Holloway to be very helpful- despite no 'official' diagnosis, even. Plus it's the sort of university that in and of itself tends to be a calming place; the small, pretty campus and great community mean that you have this feeling of safety and homeliness that larger, city-based universities struggle to emulate.

I also agree with the suggestion of collegiate universities, though I'm not sure I'd recommend Oxford or Cambridge, despite the collegiate systems meaning that both have a strong community feel. I actually think the university (referring to Oxford here) is relatively poor at dealing with mental health issues, so other collegiate universities like Durham and York might be nice alternatives.
Going to Uni is probably one of the most stressful events you can think of.
For someone with anxiety no University is going to be 'relaxing'.

If you aren't already receiving treatment for your anxiety, you really do need to get on top of it BEFORE you even think of applying to Uni.
First stop is your GP.
Original post by d41k57
Its terrible that happened at Durham, it's totally unlike my experience. I did my undergraduate and postgraduate studies there. I had some difficulties and used their counselling service. It was great for me, very supportive and really helped me deal with the issues I was having. The collegiate system was also great, colleges each have their own welfare teams, run by the students, with drop in hours and excellent formal pastoral systems. I work at Durham now and am part of the pastoral team in one of the colleges. I can honestly say that there is a real focus on student experience and support. Moreover the colleges have a fantastic range of clubs, societies and events (in addition to the university wide ones), it is definitely like having your own Durham family. Most colleges allocate their students mentors (the role I am involved in), so you will have a point of contact outside the formal hierarchy, in case you need someone to talk things over with. You also get college parents (students in higher years) who help get you orientated when you arrive and make you feel part of the community. Finally you will have a departmental tutor who is there to help with your academic and personal development. If your interested I'd definitely come to one of the open days.

That all sounds really great! I'm just scared I won't get good enough grades to get into Durham, as the requirements are so high! But I'll give it a look anyway :smile:
Original post by llacerta
Whilst I have never been diagnosed with anxiety, I have suffered from it in the past, and I found Royal Holloway to be very helpful- despite no 'official' diagnosis, even. Plus it's the sort of university that in and of itself tends to be a calming place; the small, pretty campus and great community mean that you have this feeling of safety and homeliness that larger, city-based universities struggle to emulate.

I also agree with the suggestion of collegiate universities, though I'm not sure I'd recommend Oxford or Cambridge, despite the collegiate systems meaning that both have a strong community feel. I actually think the university (referring to Oxford here) is relatively poor at dealing with mental health issues, so other collegiate universities like Durham and York might be nice alternatives.

Royal Holloway is definitely top of my list at the moment, I think :smile:
Original post by sydneybridge
Going to Uni is probably one of the most stressful events you can think of.
For someone with anxiety no University is going to be 'relaxing'.

If you aren't already receiving treatment for your anxiety, you really do need to get on top of it BEFORE you even think of applying to Uni.
First stop is your GP.

I know it won't be relaxing, I'm not expecting that. Though I do think it will be an experience I will enjoy overall, and will be beneficial to my future.
I've been receiving treatment for a number of years now, but thank you for your concern :smile:
Reply 39
Whatever the location university can be very stressful and can push some people over the edge. I would suggest if you have an official anxiety/MH diagnosis then apply for disabled students allowance (DSA). DSA can provide a bit of funding for extra support if you require it; a study skills tutor, mentoring, study buddy, etc. Also having DSA often facilitates easier arrangement coursework deadline extensions or sheltered exam conditions should you ever require them.

People can give you their experience of each Uni but I think the only way to tell is to go and visit... making sure you go and meet the staff at the health and welfare service while you are there. My own experience is Coventry = Bad. Loughborough = Good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending