The Student Room Group

Which unis are best for students with anxiety?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sydneybridge
Since you are only doing AS levels at this stage, then doing some Open Day visits in May/June before would be a very good move.

You would then be able to see the size/scale of most Universities and think about the reality of being there, and you would be able to quiz the Disability section about what facilities they have for MH issues.

I know. That's what I'm planning on doing. Thanks for the useful advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just don't underestimate the stress of leaving home and 'going to Uni'
What may seem perfectly manageable 'at home' often isnt somewhere new.
Original post by sydneybridge
Just don't underestimate the stress of leaving home and 'going to Uni'
What may seem perfectly manageable 'at home' often isnt somewhere new.

I'm not, don't worry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So personally for me, I myself have suffered from anxiety and other mental health issues for some years, found that emailing around the universities you like the look of and asking about what service and support they have can really help. I found the Open University best for me. With someone who isn't good in new places, large crowds or public transport being able to do it in the comfort in my own home and a my own pace, excluding deadlines was so helpful and really gave me confidence that i could go do a degree and my mental health issues were not stopping me :smile: good luck!
Original post by beth19939
So personally for me, I myself have suffered from anxiety and other mental health issues for some years, found that emailing around the universities you like the look of and asking about what service and support they have can really help. I found the Open University best for me. With someone who isn't good in new places, large crowds or public transport being able to do it in the comfort in my own home and a my own pace, excluding deadlines was so helpful and really gave me confidence that i could go do a degree and my mental health issues were not stopping me :smile: good luck!

Thank you for your advice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree with Lancaster- I can't say anything about support directly related to anxiety, but in general it is a very supportive uni- there is always someone you can turn to if you have a problem! I'm in my first year here and I don't like going out and don't drink, but I've not had a problem with that being here, everyone has supported my decision, also there is everything you could possibly need on campus (literally- even a hairdressers!) so you can pretty much survive without even leaving the campus at all if you wanted to! It's a really friendly uni, you get to know lots of people and the city itself is really lovely and quite small so it isn't overwhelming at all! Sorry for the essay, hope this helps 😊
Original post by Jessicak96
I agree with Lancaster- I can't say anything about support directly related to anxiety, but in general it is a very supportive uni- there is always someone you can turn to if you have a problem! I'm in my first year here and I don't like going out and don't drink, but I've not had a problem with that being here, everyone has supported my decision, also there is everything you could possibly need on campus (literally- even a hairdressers!) so you can pretty much survive without even leaving the campus at all if you wanted to! It's a really friendly uni, you get to know lots of people and the city itself is really lovely and quite small so it isn't overwhelming at all! Sorry for the essay, hope this helps 😊

It sounds lovely at Lancaster. I've been looking into it quite a bit :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FreyaGreaves
It sounds lovely at Lancaster. I've been looking into it quite a bit :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It really is lovely, I feel so strongly about it and I've only been here for 3 months! Such a happy and caring place, if you want any more information just message me 😊
Original post by Jessicak96
It really is lovely, I feel so strongly about it and I've only been here for 3 months! Such a happy and caring place, if you want any more information just message me 😊

Thank you so much! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by llacerta
Whilst I have never been diagnosed with anxiety, I have suffered from it in the past, and I found Royal Holloway to be very helpful- despite no 'official' diagnosis, even. Plus it's the sort of university that in and of itself tends to be a calming place; the small, pretty campus and great community mean that you have this feeling of safety and homeliness that larger, city-based universities struggle to emulate.

I also agree with the suggestion of collegiate universities, though I'm not sure I'd recommend Oxford or Cambridge, despite the collegiate systems meaning that both have a strong community feel. I actually think the university (referring to Oxford here) is relatively poor at dealing with mental health issues, so other collegiate universities like Durham and York might be nice alternatives.

Really? I've had a lot of support from them and I'm not even at the university yet.
I have visited Kent and the atmosphere seemed to be very supportive - but I have no idea about the history department.

I am at Sheffield and they are constantly promoting their support services but I have never had to use them. They are not a campus university but they do have lots of student accommodation which i think can be helpful.

I would say that being somewhere within short travelling distance (say an hour or so) from home would probably be high on my list of priorities so that you can regularly go for some TLC.

Good luck in your choice.
Reply 91
Original post by FreyaGreaves
I'm currently doing my AS levels, and am only really just starting to think about which university I would like to go to.

I have struggled with anxiety and various other mental health issues for a number of years, and I was wondering which universities would be most supportive?

Of course, I'll be going to open days later on in the year, but it would be useful to know anyone's honest experiences and recommendations. Are there any unis with a particularly relaxed atmosphere? :smile:

I'm looking into doing a degree in history, so one with a good history department would be good, and also I'm not sure how I'd cope in an inner city university, so more rural or out of town ones would be nice too. I'm not fussed about it having good nightlife anyway, as I'm not really into that. :smile:

Hey,

I made very good experience with the University of Southwales. Their counsellling team is great and the lecturers are very supportive. Not sure about their history department though. But it might bee on one of the campuses outside the city.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending