The Student Room Group

Study abroad Erasmus social anxiety

Hi if someone could have a read of my situation and offer some advice it would mean a lot

I am pretty sure I have social anxiety. At least I am very shy, and this is something I am working on. Has been the case for many years now..

Anyway, I decided to do an Erasmus year in Spain, even though I am a science student because I thought it would be a great opportunity to learn a language, learn about myself, have good experience, also to delay my final year since I was struggling in second year

The problem is, I found out from a course mate I missed an exam in December... For that first semester I was very flaky... I was trying many classes and took on a lot and in the last month felt kind of burnt out and I skipped many classes.....
For my final exams in February are the same modules. So I think I will just take the exams and hope for the best.

Luckily. my uni doesnt require me to pass the Erasmus year. Since on top of Erasmus, I will have done 3 years in England.. getting Bsc+Erasmus if that makes sense...

BUT my tutor told me before I have to attend all my classes and exams....

So im terrified I may fail the year..on my advisor will say you missed that exam so we cant let you have the Erasmus qualification

i have come out of my comfort zone many times, and am planning to attend all classes for next semester.... but have I made a huge mistake? :frown:
Firstly, if you feel like your suffering from some form of mental health issue, you should really talk to someone about it. Maybe see someone at university first like a counsellor (if they have those in spain too?) or a residence abroad co ordinator. If not, just go to the doctors and explain your situation

You should probably also clue yourself up a bit more on your university's Erasmus requirements. Mine said a similar thing to yours, that it didn't count but we still had to go and at least try and pass the exams, I didn't bother with any of mine, due to laziness but also because I felt very out of depth on my Erasmus year (even though looking back on it it was one of the best experiences of my life so far)

Erasmus Year is a challenge, talk to your university, explain your situation. Also throw in a 'my university's admin is terrible' for good measure, a lot of brit universities take pride on our system being better than the one in many parts of the continent and I found it really helped me out a lot when I had to explain why so and so wasn't done.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi if someone could have a read of my situation and offer some advice it would mean a lot

I am pretty sure I have social anxiety. At least I am very shy, and this is something I am working on. Has been the case for many years now..

Anyway, I decided to do an Erasmus year in Spain, even though I am a science student because I thought it would be a great opportunity to learn a language, learn about myself, have good experience, also to delay my final year since I was struggling in second year

The problem is, I found out from a course mate I missed an exam in December... For that first semester I was very flaky... I was trying many classes and took on a lot and in the last month felt kind of burnt out and I skipped many classes.....
For my final exams in February are the same modules. So I think I will just take the exams and hope for the best.

Luckily. my uni doesnt require me to pass the Erasmus year. Since on top of Erasmus, I will have done 3 years in England.. getting Bsc+Erasmus if that makes sense...

BUT my tutor told me before I have to attend all my classes and exams....

So im terrified I may fail the year..on my advisor will say you missed that exam so we cant let you have the Erasmus qualification

i have come out of my comfort zone many times, and am planning to attend all classes for next semester.... but have I made a huge mistake? :frown:

Hey:smile:

Are you currently in spain now yeah? Well done for deciding to go, its a scary thing to do! I came home from my erasmus in Finland last June, and I can honestly say I came home 10 times happier and more confident.
Though I would check what your requirements are in terms of passing modules on ERASMUS, as I got marked on all my modules I did in Finland, and they were added to my results for back home.

If you think you have anxiety, I would definitely recommend speaking to a doctor, or even a uni counsellor? My best friend has social anxiety and after she spoke to a counsellor and starting having regular sessions she was able to cope with it a lot more!

I would speak to your organiser of studies on erasmus as well as your uni back home to explain your situation and how you where feeling when you missed the exam as they will hopefully be able to make allowances for that, and find some way to sort it all out for you.

Hope this post was some use!

x
Reply 3
Original post by mmq02
Hey:smile:

Are you currently in spain now yeah? Well done for deciding to go, its a scary thing to do! I came home from my erasmus in Finland last June, and I can honestly say I came home 10 times happier and more confident.
Though I would check what your requirements are in terms of passing modules on ERASMUS, as I got marked on all my modules I did in Finland, and they were added to my results for back home.

If you think you have anxiety, I would definitely recommend speaking to a doctor, or even a uni counsellor? My best friend has social anxiety and after she spoke to a counsellor and starting having regular sessions she was able to cope with it a lot more!

I would speak to your organiser of studies on erasmus as well as your uni back home to explain your situation and how you where feeling when you missed the exam as they will hopefully be able to make allowances for that, and find some way to sort it all out for you.

Hope this post was some use!

x

Hey,yes I am :smile:
Well, my advisor is quite nice. he said make sure to go to all classes and exams, but said the you dont have to pass

I think I will focuss on trying to do well in these february exams and then see what the result is. I hope there will be no problems, but if there are maybe I could explain to him about my social anxiety..... the problem with having it though is the idea of telling someone else about it is the worst!

Then next semester I will try my hardest to be a good student.

I think erasmus is a great experince too.. ive met quite a few people, and even done language exchanges and met people this way.. so i know its a great thing for me, i just hope i dont get into trouble

thank again.. i feel better now
Reply 4
Original post by tillytots
Firstly, if you feel like your suffering from some form of mental health issue, you should really talk to someone about it. Maybe see someone at university first like a counsellor (if they have those in spain too?) or a residence abroad co ordinator. If not, just go to the doctors and explain your situation

You should probably also clue yourself up a bit more on your university's Erasmus requirements. Mine said a similar thing to yours, that it didn't count but we still had to go and at least try and pass the exams, I didn't bother with any of mine, due to laziness but also because I felt very out of depth on my Erasmus year (even though looking back on it it was one of the best experiences of my life so far)

Erasmus Year is a challenge, talk to your university, explain your situation. Also throw in a 'my university's admin is terrible' for good measure, a lot of brit universities take pride on our system being better than the one in many parts of the continent and I found it really helped me out a lot when I had to explain why so and so wasn't done.

the idea, of going to see a doctor in a foreign country telling them i have social anxiety sounds like a nightmare for me! but i bet the university has good counselling services...it just really doesnt appeal to me

i dont have to pass, i have to attend classes and exams... so i havnt been doing great with that. but i have february exams so im trying to work hard for them

thanks for sharing your experience, do you feel like it was worth it in the end?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Hey,yes I am :smile:
Well, my advisor is quite nice. he said make sure to go to all classes and exams, but said the you dont have to pass

I think I will focuss on trying to do well in these february exams and then see what the result is. I hope there will be no problems, but if there are maybe I could explain to him about my social anxiety..... the problem with having it though is the idea of telling someone else about it is the worst!

Then next semester I will try my hardest to be a good student.

I think erasmus is a great experince too.. ive met quite a few people, and even done language exchanges and met people this way.. so i know its a great thing for me, i just hope i dont get into trouble

thank again.. i feel better now

Hey :smile:

So are you staying in Spain till june, what city are you in?

Its always hard having to tell someone and you don't have to as i know it can make it worse, but if you ever feel like going to a counsellor it may work out it may not, but i know for many people it can be great:smile: But obviously do whatever suits you best!

I would try make the most out of erasmus in terms of other experiences...yes ok the exams and workload is important, but I would maybe even let a teacher in spain or back home know if you are struggling..maybe you don't even have to say about your anxiety?
I would give it all you can to do well, but if you feel its putting your health at risk and making your anxiety worse, doing badly insome exams etc, may not be the worst thing. I know you maybe won't agree just my own opinion lol

For me Erasmys was incredible, I met some of the best friends who are still close to me now. I was nervous as I went on my own but came home ten times bettter more confident, and i am stilll in a state of depression that I am back home honestly ahah!

Surround yourslef with good friends, try and go to events, even if you don't like certain things like clubbing, or where there are loads of people (depends what personally makes you anxious) , I am sure there will be something for you to meet great people :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest