The Student Room Group

AQA Core 2 Logarithms Question

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me, I'm stuck on Q10(f) from Chapter 8 (Exponentials and Logarithms) of the book "Core 2 for AQA" by Cambridge The School Mathematics Project.

10. Solve these equations for x:

(f) 6x-4 = 2x+3

I've done all the other 1 - 14Qs in this exercise, I don't know why I'm struggling with this question so much (though I have been out of education for 4 years so I'm a little rusty!).

Any help would really be appreciated :smile:

Thanks
I would take the natural logs of both side:

ln(6(x4))=ln(2(x+3))ln(6^{(x-4)})=ln(2^{(x+3)})

(x4)ln(6)=(x+3)ln(2)(x-4)ln(6)=(x+3)ln(2)

Since ln(6) and ln(2) are constants, this is a linear equation in x in the form ax+b.

Rearrange to find x.
What have you tried?

Hint: the chapter is about logs ... how could they help?

SamK - we aren't supposed to post solutions, just hints!
Reply 3
Original post by SamKeene
I would take the natural logs of both side:

ln(6(x4))=ln(2(x+3))ln(6^{(x-4)})=ln(2^{(x+3)})

(x4)ln(6)=(x+3)ln(2)(x-4)ln(6)=(x+3)ln(2)

Since ln(6) and ln(2) are constants, this is a linear equation in x in the form ax+b.

Rearrange to find x.

Thank you so much :smile:, I made things way too complicated for myself and had gotten in a complete mess.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
What have you tried?

Hint: the chapter is about logs ... how could they help?

SamK - we aren't supposed to post solutions, just hints!

Oh I know the chapter is about logs, I have completed all the other 13 questions in the exercise, I was just having troubles rearranging this one.
Original post by alyyspp
Thank you so much :smile:, I made things way too complicated for myself and had gotten in a complete mess.

For extra understanding, you might want to do the question without using the natural log. Take log base 6 on the left side, and log base 2 on the right side, then use the log law to change the base of one to be the same as the other, and solve that.
Reply 6
Original post by SamKeene
For extra understanding, you might want to do the question without using the natural log. Take log base 6 on the left side, and log base 2 on the right side, then use the log law to change the base of one to be the same as the other, and solve that.

Ah ok, that's a good idea, I'll give that a go now. Thank you :smile:
I'd suggest taking logs (base 10) is a better approach.

Quick Reply

Latest