The Student Room Group
You could talk about any authors and books you've particularly enjoyed reading in your spare time and what you liked about them, and maybe how the skills you've acquired through your study of language will help you in your study of literature.
Well try thinking about why you want to study English Language and Literature at degree level, and not just English Language which would compliment your A-Level choice. From this you can begin to decide what it is about English Literature which particularly appeals towards you; of course mentioning a couple of authors and novels which you have read will further reinforce your application. :smile:

and maybe how the skills you've acquired through your study of language will help you in your study of literature.

Very slick, i like it :biggrin:
Reply 3
Reinforcing the above, I think the best way to go about it would be to mention some of the literature that you have particularly enjoyed and perhaps attempt to offer some analysis of the language (as one of many literary devices) or link it up to your knowledge of the language aspects. Not to be in an essay style, but more about what you find appealing.
Reply 4
I applied for Lit/Lang (while studying both). I went into lots of detail about language within literature (use of dialect for characterisation eg Wuthering Heights etc) but didn't analyse any literary texts in any depth. I talked more about language.

They'll know that you haven't done Lit, so talk about why you want to do it. Be honest. You like the course, doing straight Lang bores you (ok, maybe not THAT honest), you were really inspired by reading X, you heard your friends discussing set texts and regretted your choices. Just talk from the heart - they know you haven't studied it so if you trot out anything too clever they might get suspisious!

When you've written it post it in the PS forum and I'll take a look at it (unless anyone else gets there first).

*oh, sorry for typing. Leetle bit sleepy*
Reply 5
thanks alot guys thats really helpful! :smile:

When you've written it post it in the PS forum and I'll take a look at it (unless anyone else gets there first).

that'd be great, i'll do that! (just as soon as i write it lol...)

Latest

Trending

Trending