The Student Room Group

Most of the main Green policies are terrifying

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aph
I think if you asked a North Korean they would say it's better. The point is it is imposible to compare societies objectively because your current society will manipulate your thinking.

does it count when a society is brainwashed? surely the fact itself that brainwashing goes on is a clear display that they're *not* as good when an obvious criterion of quality is liberty or rationality?
Reply 81
Original post by zippity.doodah
does it count when a society is brainwashed? surely the fact itself that brainwashing goes on is a clear display that they're *not* as good when an obvious criterion of quality is liberty or rationality?

And you just applied your societal veiws to judge a different culture, because that's what you were belived to think. And liberty is a very western value so it cultural thus cannot be applied and rationality is subjective (e.g. a left wing person might accuse a right wing person of being irrational

Posted from TSR Mobile
i'm not really bothered by what they think or purport.....I don't agree with it, but then no armed forces is a bit silly.
Original post by Aph
And you just applied your societal veiws to judge a different culture, because that's what you were belived to think. And liberty is a very western value so it cultural thus cannot be applied and rationality is subjective (e.g. a left wing person might accuse a right wing person of being irrational

Posted from TSR Mobile

north korean values aren't based on a free market of ideas, it's based on a dictatorship's injections of propaganda and terror. propaganda being judged as a cultural value is insane.
Reply 84
north korean values aren't based on a free market of ideas, it's based on a dictatorship's injections of propaganda and terror. propaganda being judged as a cultural value is insane.

What?
Original post by Aph
What?

you're saying that north korean values are just as valid as western ones because of your insane post-modernistic view of things, but the north korean society's values aren't based on the consent of the people so how can you call them just as valid as our values?
Reply 86
you're saying that north korean values are just as valid as western ones because of your insane post-modernistic view of things, but the north korean society's values aren't based on the consent of the people so how can you call them just as valid as our values?

Because ours aren't either, our values aren't inherent but taught and imposed by mob mentality.
Original post by MatureStudent36
I'll give you an example of a zero growth economy.

A company employs 10 people. Through an efficiecy saving and the introduction of better management techniques, you can do the same job with 5 people.

If you keep ten people on yiuve just expanded the economy.

If you let 5 people go to maintain a zero growth economy, there's now 5 people unemployed who will never find work elsewhere because other company's aren't growing to take them on.

Simple: ban making people redundant, tie people to the land, make jobs heritable. The end result of ideologies like that of the Greens is feudalism. Zero growth - or close to it - will come naturally once the market economy is gone.
Original post by Aph
Because ours aren't either, our values aren't inherent but taught and imposed by mob mentality.

how are our values imposed on us?
Original post by Aph
I think if you asked a North Korean they would say it's better. The point is it is imposible to compare societies objectively because your current society will manipulate your thinking.

I'm not entirely sure it's as simple as that. I think the media exaggerates the extent to which North Koreans are brainwashed.
Reply 90
how are our values imposed on us?

Our values are imposed by the colective. At the prospect of social rejection and ridicule.
Reply 91
Original post by Chlorophile
I'm not entirely sure it's as simple as that. I think the media exaggerates the extent to which North Koreans are brainwashed.

Maybe not and there will be some people who wish to change society (me:biggrin:)
and yes, they seem more free thinking these days.
Original post by Observatory
Simple: ban making people redundant, tie people to the land, make jobs heritable. The end result of ideologies like that of the Greens is feudalism. Zero growth - or close to it - will come naturally once the market economy is gone.

Great. A feudal society.

Who's going to work in the hospitals whilst everybody is tending the land?
Original post by Aph
Maybe not and there will be some people who wish to change society (me:biggrin:)
and yes, they seem more free thinking these days.

There have been people with your views for many years, communism is not a new idea.

Unfortunately it doesn't work, it's alright in principle but everybody is already on uneven footing, there are people that own vast amounts of land and assets and people with nothing. But it's not fair to take something from somebody who owns it, it is theirs.

It's like saying footballers shouldnt get paid so much, yes they should, because people pay to watch them, their skills are highly valued and therefore they are high in demand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aph
Our values are imposed by the colective. At the prospect of social rejection and ridicule.

that's not "imposition" in an actual sense - ridicule isn't something that actually "forces" you to not do something
Original post by Aph

I agree with what's said above.

You are able to think for yourself and be who you want to be, if you are different it is not forced upon you to change.

Of course, it is human nature to see things that are different as weird, but if you had any stones you'd be your own person instead of complaining that society imposes values.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Original post by reallydontknow
There have been people with your views for many years, communism is not a new idea.
It's like saying footballers shouldnt get paid so much, yes they should, because people pay to watch them, their skills are highly valued and therefore they are high in demand.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why does everyone seem to be of the opinion that I'm a communist:frown:
but they don't contribute in the perfect world farmers and cleaners would be payed more then 'sports stars' as they do more.
Original post by Aph
Why does everyone seem to be of the opinion that I'm a communist:frown:
but they don't contribute in the perfect world farmers and cleaners would be payed more then 'sports stars' as they do more.

No, that's your childish idea of a so called "perfect world"

Economics state that things which are in high demand yet low supply are valuable.

Farming and cleaning are unskilled jobs, anybody can do them, they are in demand but also have very high supply.

Footballers have a rare talent, but are in high demand. People are paying money to buy tickets and subscriptions to watch them, and there is no reason they shouldn't get paid a lot, because people are ensuing to see them, if you want to stop that, you will have to make football illegal.

It's not just footballers, anybody, engineers, doctors, lawyers, accountants or anybody else with a sought after skill/talent such as CEO's

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
Original post by reallydontknow
No, that's your childish idea of a so called "perfect world"

Economics state that things which are in high demand yet low supply are valuable.

Farming and cleaning are unskilled jobs, anybody can do them, they are in demand but also have very high supply.

Footballers have a rare talent, but are in high demand. People are paying money to buy tickets and subscriptions to watch them, and there is no reason they shouldn't get paid a lot, because people are ensuing to see them, if you want to stop that, you will have to make football illegal.

It's not just footballers, anybody, engineers, doctors, lawyers, accountants or anybody else with a sought after skill/talent such as CEO's

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well economics are messed up, the contribution to society is Importent not the people who want to see them. Also seeing as football has little positive impact I wouldn't be adverse to banning it. Much like. TV wrestling.
Original post by MatureStudent36
I'll give you an example of a zero growth economy.

A company employs 10 people. Through an efficiecy saving and the introduction of better management techniques, you can do the same job with 5 people.

If you keep ten people on yiuve just expanded the economy.

If you let 5 people go to maintain a zero growth economy, there's now 5 people unemployed who will never find work elsewhere because other company's aren't growing to take them on.

Alternatively, you keep 10 people on working half as many hours each, they make just as much, the economy stays the same size and they have much more time for recreation, family and personal development rather than sitting in an office doing not-very-much as a middle manager. In theory it isn't a bad idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending