The Student Room Group

BT Apprenticeship 2015

Just wondering if anyone has completed a BT Engineering Apprenticeship, curious as I've recently just applied for one with a keen interest in telecoms. Be good to hear your thoughts.

Josh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not a engineering apprenticeship, I was on the advanced business and IT stream.

Graduated last year into a 3rd line team within IT support.

It was hard work but really worth it. Any questions just shout.
Reply 2
Original post by ichak
Not a engineering apprenticeship, I was on the advanced business and IT stream.

Graduated last year into a 3rd line team within IT support.

It was hard work but really worth it. Any questions just shout.

Ahh very nice, congrats on that! Quick question then, do they pay and put you on further courses once you're an apprentice?
Reply 3
Original post by Josh182
Ahh very nice, congrats on that! Quick question then, do they pay and put you on further courses once you're an apprentice?

The pay grades have recently changed and are different dependant on job role and line of business but generally...

You get paid a working wage which is usually slightly less than the normal starting wage for that grade. Over the years of your apprenticeship you will then get pay rises so that you are on the correct money when you leave your apprenticeship and join your team fully.

There is generally a separation of apprenticeship and operational teams (you'll have two managers) so the apprenticeship team deal with your coursework etc and operational actually train you for your job role.

It depends on what role you are doing but my team for example put me through a lot of additional vendor based training over and above the apprenticeship stuff (degree, nvq etc).
I started as an apprentice service delivery engineer for openreach in September, if your interested just ask away and I'll tell you everything I know
Reply 5
Original post by lvjamestervl
I started as an apprentice service delivery engineer for openreach in September, if your interested just ask away and I'll tell you everything I know

Yeah that's the same one I've applied for, I did last year but they weren't recruiting in my area :/ Just reapplied tho and waiting till they look at my area. Just wondering, how long it takes for them to select you? and what's the procedure once they've selected you, like on the 'hub day' what happens there? Hope you're enjoying it, looks like a class apprenticeship.
I applied on BT4ME in february 2012, and they finally got back to me in the middle of april 2014, offering me an interview at the end of the month, in the hub day it was around an hour of introductions to what Openreach do and stand for, and any questions. Then we went into the interviews there where we were asked about previous employment, and situations where we had to make decisions or challenges, just standerd interview questions... Then 1 month after the interview they rang and offered me the job, and 4 months after that I started on my first day, so it did take around 2 and a half years from applying for me to have a start day
Reply 7
I applied on BT4ME in february 2012, and they finally got back to me in the middle of april 2014, offering me an interview at the end of the month, in the hub day it was around an hour of introductions to what Openreach do and stand for, and any questions. Then we went into the interviews there where we were asked about previous employment, and situations where we had to make decisions or challenges, just standerd interview questions... Then 1 month after the interview they rang and offered me the job, and 4 months after that I started on my first day, so it did take around 2 and a half years from applying for me to have a start day

Wow that's a crazy time scale, glad you got it in the end. Ahh so the hub day is to see what you're like as a person, seems fair. Guess I'll just have to sit and be patient then could take between a week to 2 years..who knows? Hah, what's it like now you're fully working for them, what sort of stuff do you do etc?
Original post by Josh182
Wow that's a crazy time scale, glad you got it in the end. Ahh so the hub day is to see what you're like as a person, seems fair. Guess I'll just have to sit and be patient then could take between a week to 2 years..who knows? Hah, what's it like now you're fully working for them, what sort of stuff do you do etc?

Yeah just any standard job interview really, there were also current apprentices there that you could ask questions and they'd share there experiences.
talking to some other people who started the same time (but not as apprentices) they joined as 1-man installers, and they do exactly the same thing as us apprentices, except they're a better starting wage for the time being, speaking to them they just seen there jobs advertised online and applied online for them, they seemed to have a much shorter starting time.
When I started in did 8 weeks training at Yarnfield, then did 4 weeks on the job buddying, then since then I've been out by myself doing both line provides and fibre installs. Next I do 2 weeks on the job fault training and start picking faulting jobs up.
As for my normal day to day, I get up and sign on with the iPhone, my jobs then come through an openreach app, the apps on the iPhone then help with navigation / testing. You can go for days working solo with no interaction or even seeing / speaking to any of your colleagues.
But then if you ever need a hand doing a job, then you just call another one of your team and they come and give you a hand. If you ever get stuck there are call centres that you can ring and they talk through what you need to do. Your left to manage and do your own day, but your never ever alone if you ever stuck or need an extra pair of hands doing something.
Reply 9
Yeah just any standard job interview really, there were also current apprentices there that you could ask questions and they'd share there experiences.
talking to some other people who started the same time (but not as apprentices) they joined as 1-man installers, and they do exactly the same thing as us apprentices, except they're a better starting wage for the time being, speaking to them they just seen there jobs advertised online and applied online for them, they seemed to have a much shorter starting time.
When I started in did 8 weeks training at Yarnfield, then did 4 weeks on the job buddying, then since then I've been out by myself doing both line provides and fibre installs. Next I do 2 weeks on the job fault training and start picking faulting jobs up.
As for my normal day to day, I get up and sign on with the iPhone, my jobs then come through an openreach app, the apps on the iPhone then help with navigation / testing. You can go for days working solo with no interaction or even seeing / speaking to any of your colleagues.
But then if you ever need a hand doing a job, then you just call another one of your team and they come and give you a hand. If you ever get stuck there are call centres that you can ring and they talk through what you need to do. Your left to manage and do your own day, but your never ever alone if you ever stuck or need an extra pair of hands doing something.

Wow that sounds class! I already have 2 years experience already within the telecoms industry so it wont all be alien to me! But that sound really good, hope I get a look in this year because it seems like a great career opportunity!
Just to throw an alternative option in there in case BT doesn't come through for you.

Network Rail have just opened applications on their advanced apprenticeship scheme, and there's a telecoms discipline available. Take a look at the Facebook page for more details.

Its a three-year course, with the first year classroom-based residential training, and the other two working with a team from your depot.

NR has the largest private network in the UK, and going through a period of massive investment, so the job prospects are really good at the end as well.

I'm a first year telecoms apprentice at the moment, and loving it so far! Any questions, shout up!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
hi everyone, i'm currently applying for a BT apprenticeship and am having a little struggle with the application.. under the "qualifications" section am i supposed to list my GCSE results? I have already attached my CV with my GCSES on it, but on the dropdown menu to select the type of qualification (NVQ, A level etc) GCSE isn't there?
Original post by Jammstar
hi everyone, i'm currently applying for a BT apprenticeship and am having a little struggle with the application.. under the "qualifications" section am i supposed to list my GCSE results? I have already attached my CV with my GCSES on it, but on the dropdown menu to select the type of qualification (NVQ, A level etc) GCSE isn't there?

Is there an equivalent of GCSE? What options do you have?
Reply 13
From memory BT does an initial sift of applicants based on an automated process so your cv probably doesn't get looked at untill a real person looks at the application.
Hey I have applied for an engineering apprenticeship this year with BT and I was wondering if any other people have been notified about the hub/interview stage yet. I went to an apprenticeship convention recently and was told that as I showed commitment I would have my application looked over to help with any mistakes so that may be some help to some people
Original post by SamWoodward
Hey I have applied for an engineering apprenticeship this year with BT and I was wondering if any other people have been notified about the hub/interview stage yet. I went to an apprenticeship convention recently and was told that as I showed commitment I would have my application looked over to help with any mistakes so that may be some help to some people

I applied back in March 2013 and didn't receive a reply until July which is when they sent me an invite for the hub day. Have to say it was worth the wait, I'm a 2nd year engineering apprentice so if you have any further questions about the BT apprenticeships give me a shout.
Reply 16
Any finance apprentices???, what kind of thing are they looking for in a finance apprentice?
Reply 17
Oh wow nice to meet you all!!

I am soo panicking because I really want an apprenticeship in IT sector but this big companies make it hard lol.
I am having some hard time completing my application for an apprenticeship.
I am struggling a bit with grammar and use of words because english is my second language, is there anyone kind enough to give a shout and help me out?
Reply 18
Has anyone had a hubday at ipswich yet this year
Original post by Cazi7
Oh wow nice to meet you all!!

I am soo panicking because I really want an apprenticeship in IT sector but this big companies make it hard lol.
I am having some hard time completing my application for an apprenticeship.
I am struggling a bit with grammar and use of words because english is my second language, is there anyone kind enough to give a shout and help me out?

Just write what you have, be honest and explain your situation, if you have any trouble post what your struggling on and I'm sure you'll get some help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending