The Student Room Group

Tired of being treated like a bad driver

I live in Northern Ireland and I passed my test last week, we have this atrocity of a thing where you have to drive at 45mph for a year. Anyway I drove today for 20 miles and stuck to the speed limit, constantly I had these idiots behind me that would not overtake me and would drive behind me for miles and miles before they'd do it.

There was one person who actually waited to he got to a church and then pulled over, I turned round and drove home and unsurprisingly I drove past him at the roundabout. He may have taken a phone call but considering I was driving for 3 miles with him on my tail the likelihood is that he was waiting for me to stop. This happens to me constantly!

It is such a knock on the self esteem, obviously these folk must think I am a crap driver and can't handle them overtaking me.

My parents say it is all in my head but my instructor himself has told me that he is continually treated like an idiot when he has his L plates up.
I don't know why you being a new driver would stop people overtaking you? If the person in front of me is too slow I overtake. Maybe it was actually a couple of bad drivers behind you too scared to overtake.
Reply 2
Original post by Frostyjoe
I live in Northern Ireland and I passed my test last week, we have this atrocity of a thing where you have to drive at 45mph for a year. Anyway I drove today for 20 miles and stuck to the speed limit, constantly I had these idiots behind me that would not overtake me and would drive behind me for miles and miles before they'd do it.

There was one person who actually waited to he got to a church and then pulled over, I turned round and drove home and unsurprisingly I drove past him at the roundabout. He may have taken a phone call but considering I was driving for 3 miles with him on my tail the likelihood is that he was waiting for me to stop. This happens to me constantly!

It is such a knock on the self esteem, obviously these folk must think I am a crap driver and can't handle them overtaking me.

My parents say it is all in my head but my instructor himself has told me that he is continually treated like an idiot when he has his L plates up.

Why do you care?

At the end of the day if you know that you're not a bad driver, and you're simply driving slowly because it's a legal requirement then what other people think doesn't matter a ****ing damn.

If anybody judges you for simply obeying the law then they can go **** themselves with a cactus.

wat :confused:
Reply 4
Original post by AJExeter
Why do you care?

At the end of the day if you know that you're not a bad driver, and you're simply driving slowly because it's a legal requirement then what other people think doesn't matter a ****ing damn.

If anybody judges you for simply obeying the law then they can go **** themselves with a cactus.

Because it makes me feel like there is something wrong with my driving or I am wobbling all over the road and they are too scared to overtake.
Reply 5
Because it makes me feel like there is something wrong with my driving or I am wobbling all over the road and they are too scared to overtake.

Ignore them.

If people choose to get angry at you for doing nothing other than obeying the limit then they're not even worth the energy it takes to get annoyed by.

As long as you're driving safely and within the speed limits that apply to you then what other people think of you is completely and utterly irrelevant.
I live in Northern Ireland and I passed my test last week, we have this atrocity of a thing where you have to drive at 45mph for a year.

What? Are you not allowed on motorways then? What a joke!
Reply 7
Original post by mikeyd85
What? Are you not allowed on motorways then? What a joke!

I know its so mortifying. A lot of people just take their plates off and drive at the ordinary speed limit.

I stick the limit though because it took me a lot of money and time to get the test so I am not going to lose it. I will admit its very hard to be stuck at 45mph.. To me if you have passed your driving test then you are capable of driving at the normal speed limit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending