The Student Room Group
Reply 1
college

:rolleyes:
Reply 2
Well, this is a UK forum with a small percentage of American members, so it is unlikely anyone here will know about a lot of colleges in America (unless you mean universities?).
UCSD. Scripps Institute is ace. They discovered global warming & are top notch in stem cells & biotechnology.
Reply 4
Nessyfencer
Well, this is a UK forum with a small percentage of American members, so it is unlikely anyone here will know about a lot of colleges in America (unless you mean universities?).

don't americans mean university when they say 'college'
Reply 5
_GUESS_
don't americans mean university when they say 'college'

Think so, just realised that, which is why I added in the bit in brackets "(unless you mean uni)."
Yes college refers to any post-high school institution.
Reply 7
ok thx
Reply 8
Gryffindor isn't quite correct. UCSD does have an excellent program (the best, along with MIT/WHOI)- but it's a graduate program.

I wouldn't recommend choosing a college based on its marine biology program. An undergraduate degree in marine biology is not required, nor is it recommended. It is difficult to branch out from marine biology into other fields for grad school. What is far, far more important is getting the necessary biology (cellular biology, molecular biology, comparative physiology, genetics, developmental biology, ecology, evolutionary biology, vertebrate and invertebrate zoology, microbiology, and botany), biochemistry, organic chem, physical chem, physics, calculus, statistics, computer science and possibly geology and differential equations that you need to succeed in the field. There are many summer programs (Scripps, Duke, Shoals, and Woods Hole spring to mind) that one can and should participate in to gain some background in marine biology, which will be far more helpful than marine biology courses. Independent research is often strongly recommended, if not required, for marine biology grad programs, so seek out schools that actively support undergraduate research.

Many, many schools can provide you with the proper undergraduate background for a career in marine biology. Many of these schools, like Wisconsin-Madison, are not located on the coast. I strongly suggest picking a school strong in the basic sciences and math. Specializing at this point is a very bad idea.

Brown, Cornell, Stanford, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSB, Duke, UNC Chapel Hill, Swarthmore, Bowdoin, and Williams are the elite colleges strong in ecology/marine biology. For a longer list:
http://marinebio.org/MarineBio/Careers/USschools.asp

I'm an Earth & Ocean Sciences major at Duke, which has an awesome biology program with a marine lab on the coast. :cool:
http://www.env.duke.edu/marinelab/programs/

Latest

Trending

Trending