The Student Room Group
by commercial law do you mean the large firms, or the specific deparment commercial contracts? by financial I assume you mean banking etc. Most jobs at the top, "commercial" firms pay extremely well in every department, with corporate (of which financial is a division normally I think) earning the most, arguably. As for criminal I think the solicitor wages are generally lower, but as a barrister you would make quite a bit ... the difficulties in becoming a barrister however are massive, it is totally totally varied.

To be honest you shouldn't be basing your career choices on money, get experience in all the sectors once ur at uni and then make a reasoned decision on your own behalf...
Reply 2
In terms of LNAT score, you want more then whatever the national average is that year :smile:
Reply 3
The first distinction you need to make (as Lewisy-boy highlights) is whether you want to be a solicitor or a barrister. This is a decision which comes before the type of law that you want to practice. As a solicitor, criminal law is for most solicitors, the least profitable of the three examples you mention. In terms of being a student, there will be compulsory subjects as part of the Law degree and for the optional subjects, choose as broad a range of subjects as possible. I wouldn't encourage thinking about the money you'll earn at this stage (it is a few years away...) but if you want to think along those lines then at law school and during the LPC you should probably stay away from criminal law subjects (other than the compulsory elements of this), personal injury, family etc.
Very good advice from the above poster. Options are more important at LPC stage than during undergrad. Use undergrad to study as wide a variety as you can to get broader grounding.
Reply 5
As for the LNAT: aim for full marks. I can't see why you'd want to go into an exam aiming for anything less than that. It's unlikely to happen but you should still be trying to reach that.

Latest

Trending

Trending