The Student Room Group

AS Biology OCR QUALITATIVE task 2015

Hey guys I have my qualitative task TOMORROW and need urgent help my teacher only told me today...

Has anyone done it/what do you think I need to know for this coursework?

He said we'll be apparently drawing and have to know stuff about osmosis... any tips/advice??? thanks
Original post by lenamedic
Hey guys I have my qualitative task TOMORROW and need urgent help my teacher only told me today...

Has anyone done it/what do you think I need to know for this coursework?

He said we'll be apparently drawing and have to know stuff about osmosis... any tips/advice??? thanks

I'm guessing you will probably be drawing cells. Drawing tasks are usually cells so make sure that you follow the general drawing guidelines such as filling more than half of the space given, using a sharp pencil, clean lines not broken, no shading, etc... You should know all that already! Label all the key things you see such as nucleus, cytoplasm, etc.

If it's about osmosis, make sure you know about water potential and can get your head around what high water potential means, what low water potential means and which direction the water molecules will move down the concentration gradient. Remember pure water has a water potential of 0 and low means negative. So -200 is higher than -700 so the water will move from -200 --> -700. You may need to do a simple calculation on water potential maybe.

Know about plasmolysis, what affects osmosis rate such as avaliability of aquaporins, and other external factors such as temperature. It shouldn't be too bad just make sure you are on point with the theory in your textbook on the topic.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!!

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest