The Student Room Group

Set theory

Let c be the set of all prime natural numbers.
Let e be the segment [7,-7].

Write the following set in list form... C(prime) N D

= [7,-2) U (2,3) U 3,5) U (5,7)

the above answer is from the mark scheme, I have a question about the part in bold there is no ( before the 3 so does this mean 3 is included?

It shouldn't be included?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by khanpatel321
Let c be the set of all prime natural numbers.
Let e be the segment [7,-7].

Write the following set in list form... C(prime) N D

= [7,-2) U (2,3) U 3,5) U (5,7)

the above answer is from the mark scheme, I have a question about the part in bold there is no ( before the 3 so does this mean 3 is included?

It shouldn't be included?

It's a typo - there should be a bracket there.

3 is prime so it's not included in CDC'\cap D and therefore writing (2,3) U (3,5) is fine since 3 is not included.

Try to be clearer in future questions: You've mixed up e's and D's and you used 'N' to represent intersection which isn't clear. If you plan to make further threads, I recommend you learn LaTeX or use e,g, this site to copy and paste the symbols.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by notnek
It's a typo - there should be a bracket there.

3 is prime so it's not included in CDC'\cap D and therefore writing (2,3) U (3,5) is fine since 3 is not included.

Try to be clearer in future questions: You've mixed up e's and D's and you used 'N' to represent intersection which isn't clear. If you plan to make further threads, I recommend you learn LaTeX or use e,g, this site to copy and paste the symbols.

Ok, will try to make it clearer in the future :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest