The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
arod
Also depends on your course... It would be nice if the halls of residence were closer to the lecture halls. e.g. if you're in science, the lectures are all the way down at the King's buildings. So it's a long walk.....Sci students seem abit isolated.

true, but you can get this free bus from George Square to KB area and back...
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Boo at the KB bus, etc.
arod
Also depends on your course... It would be nice if the halls of residence were closer to the lecture halls. e.g. if you're in science, the lectures are all the way down at the King's buildings. So it's a long walk.....Sci students seem abit isolated.

rite well I'll do chinese, Ive been told lectures will take place in george square..so which campus is the nearest n best?
Warrender Park Crescent is a slow 15min walk to George Sq...
yossarianlives
Warrender Park Crescent is a slow 15min walk to George Sq...

or 7 minutes to the library plus 2 mins to appleton tower if you're always running late for lectures...

---

if you apply for catered accommodation, you only have a choice of Pollock. Catered people literally select Pollock on their accommodation form, then if you want en suite (thus to be in Chancellors, Holland or Masson) you select that option. You can't actually apply to be in Chancellors Court, its Pollock Halls you apply for.The uni doesn't have campus accommodation as its a city, not a campus uni.

That said, apply for self catered. If you look on the tsr edinburgh wiki (sticked at the top of the page) there is loads more information about the catered and self catered residences.

The uni accommodation is spread out around the George Square area. Basically george square is what the area where the main university buildings are such as the big lecture theatres, library, unions, student advice centre etc, and then on all the surrounding streets there are department buildings and smaller lecture theatres. I just generally refer to the whole area as 'george square' even though in reality it is a strech of streets all containing uni buildings within a 5 minute walk.
Tsk tsk.
Reply 26
What are the self catering flats like for communal areas like living room/lounge? From the pictures I've seen there isn't much space, only enough to accommodate a dining table. I was hoping for the full sofa, widescreen TV set up! I've applied to New Arthur's Place, Darroch Court and Hermit's Croft. Any info is greatly appreciated!
Reply 27
http://img293.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kitchen1pj7.jpg
http://img256.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kitchen2ln0.jpg
http://img144.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kitchen3mk8.jpg
http://img89.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kitchen4jq2.jpg

4 shots of my living area thing at Darroch, split between 5 of us. Some flats use it more than others, I'm rarely in there except for cooking and occasional poker nights. Some customise it, depends how well you get on with your flatmates I guess, the guys over the other side of the court have 3 armchairs and a 3 seater sofa in there :biggrin:
matt2689
What are the self catering flats like for communal areas like living room/lounge? From the pictures I've seen there isn't much space, only enough to accommodate a dining table. I was hoping for the full sofa, widescreen TV set up! I've applied to New Arthur's Place, Darroch Court and Hermit's Croft. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Ha ha, you wish...

At Darroch you don't get the amazing "lounge" chairs, which actually aren't that comfy, you get the wee bar stool things instead. In my kitchen we have a kitchen area (obviously) table and 5 chairs, and then 5 "lounge" chairs, which I personally find abit excessive as the room isn't that big yet we have 10 chairs in it! Although i guess they have to provide one for everyone.

You can fit a tv in somewhere, all of the kitchens have an aeriel point, but sofa... the uni won't provide one, put it that way. And dragging one up several flights of stairs yourself doesn't seem like fun.

I'd take photos of my kitchen but a) my camera is broken, and more importantly b) it looks like a bomb has hit it, its actually disgusting atm.
Reply 29
Thanks for the info! :biggrin: I don't really mind if theres nt as much room as I hope, as long as theres a big enough fridge to accommodate my love of beer! Are the flats good for parties? How many folk can you get in without breaching health and safety? hehehe...
Some fridges are huuuuge and are seperate fridge freezer things, others are fairly small. We had a really tiny one when we first moved in and then we complained loads as we couldn't fit anything in it, then we got a new one but its still tiny in comparison to other flats in our building.

Party wise, I have no idea how many, we can usually fit 30ish in our kitchen and hallway. That seems to be about the general amount for the parties I've been to, unless you join up with a flat next door to you then you can use both flats and the main stairwell. I've been to a few like that, some work really well and were so much fun, others fall appart as everyone stays in one flat, or splits up into little friendship groups so isn't really a party-party.
I've just finished my first year studying Law at Edinburgh uni. I'm glad to say I lived in DARROCH COURT over this period. This self-catered accommodation is one of the newest, with large bedrooms etc. The resident assisstants are very laid back and generally you are left to your own devices but always have someone there to ask for help.

Other self-catered flats I visited seemed more run-down, much smaller and generally had less sense of community.

Pollock Halls is all fine and well if you want to walk that extra 15mins to lectures, have your meal times dictated to you and a flat party consisting of only your bedroom.

Good luck with accomm, guys!
Reply 32
...hey Steven :tongue: Gone home for easter?
The_Despoiler
The resident assisstants are very laid back and generally you are left to your own devices but always have someone there to ask for help.

I know one of the guys who is being the RA next year in Darroch, he's really lovely so hopefully that will continue. Didn't Darroch have a bring and buy sale or something like that? I got a facebook invite for it for some reason, but I think you had to live there to go. Looked like a cool idea though. My RA's are hopeless, they moaned at us for phoning them when my friend got locked out, which is supposed to be their job.
Reply 34
if edinburgh is my insurance choice then do i have to apply for accommodation now...or only if i dont get into my firm choice in august?! any help gratefully received!
Is it still possible to get into Darroch if I apply very soon?
Reply 36
I think you'll have to same chance of getting into Darroch whenever you apply! cause I don't think accommodation is given out on a first come first serve basis but just by random, so yeah you'll still have as good a chance as any! I really hope I get into Darroch! fingers crossed anyway, hope everyone else gets what their wanting too!
"We will commence the allocation process at the beginning of June. From
June onwards we plan to issue offers of accommodation, to unconditional
and firmly accepted (UF) applicants to the University within two weeks
of receiving the accommodation application and/or confirmation of
unconditional acceptance. "

That's what it says in the e-mail I received after I'd applied for accommodation.
elisabethbridge
"We will commence the allocation process at the beginning of June. From
June onwards we plan to issue offers of accommodation, to unconditional
and firmly accepted (UF) applicants to the University within two weeks
of receiving the accommodation application and/or confirmation of
unconditional acceptance. "

That's what it says in the e-mail I received after I'd applied for accommodation.

Be aware that this was also the dealio last year...

However, the unconditionals didn't hear until the week prior to A level results day, so mid August, and the conditionals didn't hear until the first week in September. Bear in mind that we moved in on the 9th September.

Accommodation is allocated completley at random. You have the same chance of getting your first choice whether you've already applied or don't apply for a few more months.
Tbh, we are the teething year, so I could only assume this year is going to be better.

Latest

Trending

Trending