The Student Room Group

Good modern debaters

I'm looking for some examples of really good modern debaters about politics. I have devoured every Hitchens video there is and now I want to read and watch what I can of people of the same calibre.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kelpieG1
I'm looking for some examples of really good modern debaters about politics. I have devoured every Hitchens video there is and now I want to read and watch what I can of people of the same calibre.

Don't watch Hitchens then.
I like Hitchens but he's not a great debater. He's very witty and clearly very clever but that isn't the same as being a great debater. He's more known for the Hitchslaps which are just clever putdowns often on minor points, than outboxing his opponent so to speak on the subject as a whole.
Nobody comes close to Peter Hitchens. It is as simple as that.

How Mark Steyn is good, Dennis Prager, Tarek Fatah, Gregory Lauder-Frost, William Frazer, Victor Davis Hanson, Thomas Sowell, Bill Whittle, Ben Shapiro and Michael Coren. I would also add Douglas Murray, Niall Ferguson and Andrew Roberts even though I don't like them.
Original post by Fizzel
I like Hitchens but he's not a great debater. He's very witty and clearly very clever but that isn't the same as being a great debater. He's more known for the Hitchslaps which are just clever putdowns often on minor points, than outboxing his opponent so to speak on the subject as a whole.

You must not have watch Peter Hitchens debate with some scientist about abortion. It was annihilation. However I do agree on some point Peter Hitchens makes. However much of that is down to people who don't understand what he thinks so he has already worked out how to rebut their false statements about him.
Original post by william walker
You must not have watch Peter Hitchens debate with some scientist about abortion. It was annihilation. However I do agree on some point Peter Hitchens makes. However much of that is down to people who don't understand what he thinks so he has already worked out how to rebut their false statements about him.
When people talk about Hitchens, the people talking about Peter, are in the minority.
[video="youtube;O6FHNbRIabk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6FHNbRIabk[/video]
Original post by Fizzel
When people talk about Hitchens, the people talking about Peter, are in the minority.

I am perfectly happy to be in the minority. Peter Hitchens is better than Christopher Hitchens at debating. One of them changed my views on basically everything to do with the nation state and social issues, the other did nothing.
Original post by william walker
I am perfectly happy to be in the minority. Peter Hitchens is better than Christopher Hitchens at debating.
Wtf has this got to do with my original point. The OP stated Hitchens, I stated Hitchens, (and specifically 'hitchslap' which is limited to Christopher). You type Hitchens into youtube, Peter doesn't even feature on the first page. So why you would assume Hitchens meant Peter I cannot see. That's before you get into the fact my post was a criticism of Christopher's debating style. So having been informed I (and most other people) would be referring to Christopher, there is no reason for this series of quotations. Peter being a better debater than a man I just suggested was not a particularly good debater is also not a great deal of praise.

One of them changed my views on basically everything to do with the nation state and social issues
That would merely suggest you are either very impressionable or your original views had very little in the way of solid grounding. Not to mention his views on multiple issues particularly social are antiquated and ultimately guided by his roughly equally antiquated illogical faith, and hence are not and cannot ever be rationally based. I guess at best the fact he's won you round to such positions speaks positively to your claims of his quality in debating.
(edited 9 years ago)
George Galloway perhaps?
David Starkey. Though in public debates I'd class him more as a good rhetorician.
Original post by Fizzel
Wtf has this got to do with my original point. The OP stated Hitchens, I stated Hitchens, (and specifically 'hitchslap' which is limited to Christopher). You type Hitchens into youtube, Peter doesn't even feature on the first page. So why you would assume Hitchens meant Peter I cannot see. That's before you get into the fact my post was a criticism of Christopher's debating style. So having been informed I (and most other people) would be referring to Christopher, there is no reason for this series of quotations. Peter being a better debater than a man I just suggested was not a particularly good debater is also not a great deal of praise.

That would merely suggest you are either very impressionable or your original views had very little in the way of solid grounding. Not to mention his views on multiple issues particularly social are antiquated and ultimately guided by his roughly equally antiquated illogical faith, and hence are not and cannot ever be rationally based. I guess at best the fact he's won you round to such positions speaks positively to your claims of his quality in debating.

Fair enough.
Reply 12
I would have to disagree, Hitchens is without a doubt one of the great debaters of our time. I disagree with what he said about the Iraq War but when you see him debate the subject I find it hard to rebuke his points.

His debate with Peter Hitchens was absolute crucifiction of his brother, as with Tony Blair and jusy about everyone.
David Starkey

peter Hitchens

Douglas Murray

Nigel Farage

Clegg
Original post by democracyforum
David Starkey

peter Hitchens

Douglas Murray

Nigel Farage

Clegg

P-/pol/. is that you?

[video="youtube;bQY4BuYWD4s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQY4BuYWD4s[/video]

"too bad we didn't bring out our champagne our here, we actually considered it *snort scoff*" - 3 liberals vs. Peter Hitchens, they get slapped
Original post by kelpieG1
I would have to disagree, Hitchens is without a doubt one of the great debaters of our time. I disagree with what he said about the Iraq War but when you see him debate the subject I find it hard to rebuke his points.

His debate with Peter Hitchens was absolute crucifiction of his brother, as with Tony Blair and jusy about everyone.

In one of their debates Peter says he couldn't hear what Chris was says.
Reply 16
My favourite is Sam Harris.
Reply 17
Original post by miser
My favourite is Sam Harris.

I agree. Watching his arguments is like watching a surgeon doing stand up.
Original post by HigherMinion
P-/pol/. is that you?

So you DO go on pol on 4chan.

Called it. Get out of that den of cancer and live a real life.0, then maybe you'll stop liking Britain First.

BoT

Christopher Hitchens, ken Clarke, David starkly, Galloway, sometimes farage, sometimes Clegg, paddy ashdown (who put Douglas Murray in his place about Osama bin laden), chomsky...
Original post by Messiah Complex
[video="youtube;O6FHNbRIabk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6FHNbRIabk[/video]

Top pillock

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending