The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Another good link is
http://www.geography.btinternet.co.uk/thamesgateway.htm
It has a whole series of other links which might help with the whole Thames Gateway thing!
Reply 61
Bumping this up again. Anyone with useful ideas or queries, please post here! :smile:
Reply 62
jag_jatt
:rolleyes:

LOL sorry got a bit sidetracked, will post the pre-mentioned list by 6/7pm this evening; got 2 hrs of Global Challenge revision to do first :tongue:
Reply 63
For jag_jatt

PROS:
Offshore runways meaning minimalised impact on wildlife around the Cliffe marshland area in general.

Potential to expand to demand meaning that the scope for future expansion/need to reduce pressure on existing airports, exists.

Capable of operating 24/7, making it an all round air travel resource.

Position of runways lowers the potential noise/visual pollution as a result of planes landing over built up areas.

Both runways and onshore terminals will create jobs for local as facilities such as hotels and offices are proposed (15,000 jobs is the estimated figure)

No houses or listed buildings require demolishing.

CONS:
Man made island in the Thames Estuary will interfere with the natural water currents in the area potentially changing the existing pattern on erosion.

High speed rail link would arguably result in change to the natural surrounding features + potential for increased noise pollution/visual pollution.

More of Londons greenbelt disappears.

While the aircraft operational noise contours fall within the estuary water area thus 'in theory' not affecting humans, the reality could be very different with regards to the damage done to wildlife (afterall animals have ears as well :tongue: )

Visual pollution; island will be visible from the mainland.

The cost: £34 billion isn't pocket change and would have to be raised from somewhere, this could in theory even lead to the Government subsidising foriegn companies in the future in order to attract their investment now.

Personally I don't like the idea of the marinairport, the need for more airports is debateable in the first place and the potential disturbances to tidal flows and sedimentation patterns don't appear to be fully known.
Reply 64
neva knew u cud deduce that frm this thread!!

Other airports you :
can look at are Kansai, Kobe, Qatar, Sidney

personally i dont know how to use info i find for these airports as comparisons? geoger - wat wud i b looking for? ne one?
Reply 65
I gather all the airports you suggest as comparisons are similar in style the proposed one? I guess you could therefore look at the social/ economic/environmental impacts of them and see whether there is any sort of similarities in the impacts of their development. This in turn could be used to either back up or dismiss the marinairport.
Reply 66
Dajoruna
I gather all the airports you suggest as comparisons are similar in style the proposed one? I guess you could therefore look at the social/ economic/environmental impacts of them and see whether there is any sort of similarities in the impacts of their development. This in turn could be used to either back up or dismiss the marinairport.

Agree - BUT be careful you don't spend too much time on the others to the detriment of your argument for this one. Whilst it is an Issues anlysis and thus looking at locations which have had similar ventures might prove helpful in picking up general impacts, you MUST then apply this to the Cliffe area.
Reply 67
Hey,

Has anyone divided the impacts of Cliffe and Thames Gateway into National, Regional and Local?

I'm having a bit of a prob!!!

I've got a good conflict matrix and environmental assessment thing so i'll put it up if someone would be up the impacts stuff

Reply 68
cud it b possible 2 jst simply state :

....a similar off shore project that went ahead in Japan (Kansai International Airport) has contributed significantly to Kansai generating about 20% of the nation's GDP and 3% of the world's. Kansai International airport has also attracted some of the biggest corporate names in Japan, such as Matsushita (National/Panasonic), Sharp, Kyocera, Nintendo, and the Sumitomo Group. More international companies are also likely to set up operations in the area now that the Kansai International Airport has become an important 24-hour connection to the rest of Asia.

??
Reply 69
jag_jatt
cud it b possible 2 jst simply state :

....a similar off shore project that went ahead in Japan (Kansai International Airport) has contributed significantly to Kansai generating about 20% of the nation's GDP and 3% of the world's. Kansai International airport has also attracted some of the biggest corporate names in Japan, such as Matsushita (National/Panasonic), Sharp, Kyocera, Nintendo, and the Sumitomo Group. More international companies are also likely to set up operations in the area now that the Kansai International Airport has become an important 24-hour connection to the rest of Asia.

??

Fine, but what about any negative impacts eg rising house or land prices, impact on offshore areas etc as well to try to gain a balance?
Reply 70
Geogger
Fine, but what about any negative impacts eg rising house or land prices, impact on offshore areas etc as well to try to gain a balance?

thanx - will try searchin on net if i gt ne - will let u knw
Reply 71
Bumping this up again - keep adding to it, please.
The more ideas you have thought through before the exam, the easier you will find it to respond to the brief that is given to you. The brief (often a letter or outline) contains lots of hints and suggestions for the way you then have to answer each section - look at it carefully and read it for hints about the way you should be writing the report/ investigation/analysis - whatever they are asking for.
Look at the mark allocation to organise your time carefully.
Write coherently and cogently - don't waffle.
Reply 72
This makes me feel a bit daft, but my entire class couldn't figure out why the statistics for figures 1 and 2 in the pre-release are different. Surely passenger numbers = demand for air travel? :confused:
Geogger
Bump - keep adding ideas, people. I will email people who have pm.ed me later on this evening with my emails

my e-mail is [email protected] i am a bit stuck and would be immensely grateful for any info you have!!
i have some info i can post but need to have a good sort through it!!
i have posted you a pm and also could you give me insight as to what everyone is talking about when they say matrix?? we have not learned anything about a matrix or how to plan an investigation and analysis. We did coursework in AS but this is very different. I know what a cost benefit analysis is, is this somehow linked??

please send me a private message to explain this to me when you have the time, please.. the exams are in 2weeks time and I feel ambiguous about the whole idea of this geography synoptic unit, with which it seems that teachers have not made that much of a great deal to actually pin-point what we should be analysing and how we should be reading in between the line of the stimulus material. I mean, I would have just gone into the exam believing we just had to know the advantages and disadvantages.

Please inform me on the use of techniques. Are all the questions essay based? How do we structure our answers.. and what are we to expect? please help!!
Reply 75
shelly-anne
i have posted you a pm and also could you give me insight as to what everyone is talking about when they say matrix?? I know what a cost benefit analysis is, is this somehow linked??

a matrix (if i'm right) is just a grid, comparing aspects of a subject. in this case, i think people are using matrices to compare the positive and negative SEE impacts of the Cliffe / Thames Gateway proposals.

shelly-anne
Please inform me on the use of techniques. Are all the questions essay based?

as far as i can remember (i already sat one such paper in january) the exam is essay based, although with varying lengths.
Thanx for all your help this website has proved to very useful. I now understand what is meant by a matrix and I have received all the information from geogger which I have had a skim read through already. This is very useful and I hope it will be useful for the exam. I am aiming for a grade A you see so I need to grab all the help that is available to me. Thanks all the same. Im going to continue my revision now!! :smile:
Reply 77
hello Geoger
just wondering if you could send me some information that you have please, my email is [email protected]

thanks
Reply 78
stuey5555
hello Geoger
just wondering if you could send me some information that you have please, my email is [email protected]

thanks

I shall later on today - if vcs3 is reading this - I have sent you a pm but I need your email address if you want me to send you the info!
Just wanted to move this up the list so it's easier to find next time. It's been really useful because I've been really struglling to know how to prepare. Just out of interest did anyone else find this by typing in Cliife airport into google? it worked for me!

Latest

Trending

Trending