The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lewis-HuStuJCR
Craig and de Burca has fallen out of favour with Notts, they used some travesty for my year but are using some brand new book which was only just published in its place now. I wish they would stop doing this, as it means I can't sell my books to any unsuspecting year-below ppl :wink:. They keep using us as guinea pigs flor crap books.

Shame I do like Craig and De Burca. I also liked Craig's work, good to read.
Reply 81
Oh, so generous!

Regarding EU law.....the fact is this. As an academic subject EU law is rather dry. What makes it really interesting is when what you learn in your lectures and seminars or in your private study, is reflected in real political situations as reported in the leading broadsheets and news broadcasters. Just wading through hundreds of pages of EU law text books is for me rather dull. I much prefer to glean my knowledge of EU law from "other" sources.
SSU Ambassador
Oh, so generous!

Regarding EU law.....the fact is this. As an academic subject EU law is rather dry. What makes it really interesting is when what you learn in your lectures and seminars or in your private study, is reflected in real political situations as reported in the leading broadsheets and news broadcasters. Just wading through hundreds of pages of EU law text books is for me rather dull. I much prefer to glean my knowledge of EU law from "other" sources.

I agree that EC law is made fun when you look at 'other' sources to the textbook/casebooks. But this is exactly what makes EC law so good. There are so many internet sites on which there are papers written by some great academics that show the pracitical side of EC law. All those working papers etc on the Jeanmonnet site.

With regard to EC law in the newspapers: It depends what paper you read really!. There are some good broadsheets like, The Times which provide good coverage of EC law developments both constitutional and up-coming legislation (i.e. directives). Other newspapers like Daily Mail and the Torygraph just slate EC law outright. Although the Torygraph isn't that bad actually. But then there is the tabloids who absolutely do not know what the hell it is they are talking about and make rash assumptions from good plainly written legislative material. Makes me want to scream, :mad: there was a sit somewhere about this but sadly I can't find it anymore. :frown:
Lol, yeah ur right. I also found EU law to be dull as hell when we were doing the principles etc but once we hit free movements and competition suddenly it enthralled me to think how it could apply to so many people at so many points, very very important.

As for the torygraph and the daily mail ... ur always gonna find far far mroe extreme comments in the latter. The torygraph isn't quite as bad as it's nickname suggests! Although it's hardly neutral, but then again the times isn't either...
Reply 84
Goddamn I hated EU law. The only redeeming feature for me was competition, as it was more interesting than discussing the differences between apples and pears (FMG). I hated how vague the judgments were, that whole principle of letting member states apply it to their instant facts. It's just a big subject of wishy-washy concepts: direct effect, harmonisation, proportionality, blah blah blah.

We also had a really arrogant French lecturer for some of it who was a complete tool.

Lastly I loved how the migration figures were reported - half the papers cried "mass influx", the other half cried "mass exodus"! Amazing.
And you thought United Brands wasn't totally stupid and arbitrary when it said that there was a "distinct market for bananas - babies, the sick and the elderly don't interchange them with others". Absolute crap, no-one can seriously argue that... if the price of banans goes up, everyone will buy apples... simple as. (Anyone who knows the ECJ Jurisprudence, I am referring to the "interchangability" element for establishing the market, and whether the correct market was fruit or bananas were specific). Also, punishing companies for vertical integration (eg United Brands did packaging blah blah) is punishing them for efficiency, their activities in other sectors of the same market shouldn't be taken into account in assessing "dominance" imo.
Reply 86
Lewis-HuStuJCR
And you thought United Brands wasn't totally stupid and arbitrary when it said that there was a "distinct market for bananas - babies, the sick and the elderly don't interchange them with others". Absolute crap, no-one can seriously argue that... if the price of banans goes up, everyone will buy apples... simple as. (Anyone who knows the ECJ Jurisprudence, I am referring to the "interchangability" element for establishing the market, and whether the correct market was fruit or bananas were specific). Also, punishing companies for vertical integration (eg United Brands did packaging blah blah) is punishing them for efficiency, their activities in other sectors of the same market shouldn't be taken into account in assessing "dominance" imo.

Ha, I remember that! Ridiculous decision.

Seem to remember something about fruit liqueurs too.....Cassis de Dijon? Mutual Recognition and all that - "so prostitution and cannabis should be imported over here legally? Oh wait........no we can't have that, we need to retain state sovereignty....oh bugger this EU business doesn't seem such a good idea afterall.."
Dimebag
Ha, I remember that! Ridiculous decision.

Seem to remember something about fruit liqueurs too.....Cassis de Dijon? Mutual Recognition and all that - "so prostitution and cannabis should be imported over here legally? Oh wait........no we can't have that, we need to retain state sovereignty....oh bugger this EU business doesn't seem such a good idea afterall.."

LOL :biggrin:
lol yeah, hence why we have exceptions carved out to the FM rules, like the genius of germany in Omega Spielhallen (context of services), where they ban laserquest on the basis that the right to life is so strongly entrenched in their constitution.

im guessing everyone else does the same with drugs and crap.
Public Law and Equity have been my two most disliked modules so far.
Reply 90
Contract!! It's terrible....
Reply 91
Swiss Constitutional law - it's horrific.
Reply 92
I can't stand Constitutional & Administrative Law... Ugh!
I don't especially hate Admin law but I never got my best marks in it.
K Abraham
Oh, so generous!

Ditto to everything you just said. UK Constitutional Law is just as dull, if not moreso. (Even if the lecturer is hot) :biggrin:
CAREFUL!! When we started to make jokes about Hull lecturers being hot, suddenly a Hull lecturer showed up on here. At least you have a screen name.
I don't care. He knows I fancy his ASS.

He's a Durham Uni law lecturer called Roger who owns my soul. :p:
Sounds nice. Fair to say, most the women at Hull did fancy a lecturer called Chris. This was because he worked out in the gym all day and wore tight t-shirts. I have a feeling that his presence contributed to the large number of entries for mooting. However, in case he makes a surprise visit, I should stress that he is happily married now.
I bet that broke a few hearts :wink:

However I know from a reputable source that my lecturer is NOT married.

That fact = me with a face like this >>> :biggrin:
he, he. Can we see a picture?

This is the nearest I got to a tutor this semester. I don't fancy him and I am sure he is blissfully in love with a gf but just saying. I can't even remember his name but I think the Chinese students like his dark hair.

Latest

Trending

Trending