The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
just gt a conditional offer from manc
salki

:party: WOO well done salki
Gregorian IV
Well i suppose i'm going to have to right rather small and be concise - not one of my strongest features

Edit: anything on the Biology syllabus (all the examples they gave were related to biology)
salki

W00t! :party:

The offers are really rolling in now :p:
Mustard-man
Edit: anything on the Biology syllabus (all the examples they gave were related to biology)

Oh well that's OK then. I was planning to do about the immune response but when you said about the bordered box then i thought again:rolleyes: :p:
Reply 65
well done salki !
Just got back from an interrview and all I can say is - What a DAY!!!! :mad: :biggrin:

It all started this morning when I woke up with an awful blocked nose (of all the days!). After taking some medication and getting ready I set off at 8am. Traffic was absolutely awful and got lost looking for the university. Anyway, we (dad and me) got to the university and had plenty of time to spare so we went on an accomadation tour of fallowfield halls (if thats what they were called). Not bad, Not good.

Anyway, went to coupland building 3 and had the welcome lecture with the parents (Oh doesn't manchester know how to boast:p: ) and then our parents left us with the lecturers where they told us about the different careers in pharmacy. WHen we entered the lecture theatre, we were given a sheet where we were all designated into specific groups. WE were also told at this stage that we should write about somethign from our a-level course and a recent health topic that has been on tv or the radio.

So just the prospective students had a lecture and then we went to the common room with lots of orange chairs. Quite a nice place actually. From there group B (my group 3B) went on a campus tour where we went to the library, the dispensary, sterile rooms etc. just showing us around. This lasted about an hour. It was really good how you could talk to other students along the way...really nice people.

After the tour I sat in the common room filling out my questions (I did about homeostasis and the liver cells). Not too difficult although not enough space. At 3.25pm I was called to professor houston's office where he asked me about manchester uni, if i can name any prescription drugs and what they are used for, the changing role of a community pharmacist, where we get drugs from and about my A-levels. That was it. I asked him a few questions, went back to the common room and filled out the rest of the questions. Free crisps, drinks, chocolates etc. I'll say it again, the people there were indeed very nice.

All in all a good day out and fingers crossed :biggrin:
Aww sounds like it went great mate! :biggrin:

:marchmell
Greg!! I saw your name on the sheet and I was trying to stalk you but you were in 3B so I couldn't find you haha. Sorry if that sounds abit scary :p: :rolleyes:

Anyway, I took the train there on my lonesome and got there with about 2 and a half hours to spare- ended up trying to find the place, which took me about an hour lol and I was wearing black ballet pumps which hurt like a mofo because i ruined my other black shoes (running around after customers in m&s does terrible things to your shoes).

I was in group 2A so I was had to stay in the common room to write about something from my biology syllabus and current health news whilst group B people went for their tour. The girl who took me to have my interview was VERY friendly (infact all of the students there were), which made me really relaxed BUT she took me to the wrong person (Professor Douglas) and took another girl to the Dr who was supposed to interview me. Oh what a mistake that was. I ended up getting asked about methadone and what it's for...ok so I managed this one and said it's used to wean addicts off heroine and then he started asking me about the biochemistry of methadone and how exactly it works etc :mad: . I was really annoyed when I find out the other girl was asked about things like prescription drugs and roles of a pharmacist in hospital because I know those like the back of my hand :frown:. Also it didn't help that since we got switched, Prof Douglas didn't have my ucas info with him so the only thing he had to go on was the way I answered the questions and presented myself there and then. He was really friendly though...for what it's worth.

Ah well... c'est la vie.
Gregorian IV

After the tour I sat in the common room filling out my questions (I did about homeostasis and the liver cells). Not too difficult although not enough space. :biggrin:

I did homeostatis too! For the health news I wrote about the artificial pancreas. :proud:
BeesKnees

Anyway, I took the train there on my lonesome and got there with about 2 and a half hours to spare- ended up trying to find the place, which took me about an hour lol and I was wearing black ballet pumps which hurt like a mofo because i ruined my other black shoes (running around after customers in m&s does terrible things to your shoes).

I was by myself as well!

:rofl: You matched my record! :biggrin:

Yeah, my feet hurt like hell after all the walking as well! :biggrin:

BeesKnees

I was in group 2A so I was had to stay in the common room to write about something from my biology syllabus and current health news whilst group B people went for their tour. The girl who took me to have my interview was VERY friendly (infact all of the students there were), which made me really relaxed BUT she took me to the wrong person (Professor Douglas) and took another girl to the Dr who was supposed to interview me. Oh what a mistake that was. I ended up getting asked about methadone and what it's for...ok so I managed this one and said it's used to wean addicts off heroine and then he started asking me about the biochemistry of methadone and how exactly it works etc :mad: . I was really annoyed when I find out the other girl was asked about things like prescription drugs and roles of a pharmacist in hospital because I know those like the back of my hand :frown:. Also it didn't help that since we got switched, Prof Douglas didn't have my ucas info with him so the only thing he had to go on was the way I answered the questions and presented myself there and then. He was really friendly though...for what it's worth.

Ah well... c'est la vie.

Awww... sounds like they were pretty tough on the interview :hugs:. I'm sure you'll get an offer though, they don't expect you to know the pathway of methadone, even 4th years don't! (From what I heard.) They're just testing your reactions, to see if you can give an educated answer, rather than saying, 'I dunno'.

But yeah, the students at Manchester who volunteer are really friendly. Manchester seems really organised as well, i.e. the early interviews and quick replies. Fingers crossed :smile:
lol the very elite 1 hour club! A lady who gave me directions told me it was quite a trek and advised me to take a bus but then I thought if Mustard-man can do it, so can I. Curse you Mustard-man!! And may all the lakes and rivers of mustard across the land dry up :p: :eek4:

Yeah, the people there were really organised. Everyone seemed to have their interviews at their allocated time, on the dot. The students were also way to efficient, i'm starting to think they were robots. One girl was in tears right before her interview by the way :eek:. The girl who took me to my interview also told me that the Nottingham interviews are much worse because they ask really academically based questions, not trying to scare all of you Nottingham people but just thought i'd let you know.
Reply 72
Gregorian,BeesKnees and Mustard man: I'm glad you had a great day and yes we are a nice friendly bunch of students!!:p:

Anyone who still has an interview to come and is stuck on directions once you get to Manchester (by public transport): PM me and I'll try and help out if I can.
BeesKnees
The girl who took me to my interview also told me that the Nottingham interviews are much worse because they ask really academically based questions, not trying to scare all of you Nottingham people but just thought i'd let you know.

She told me that too :eek: Oh well :redface:

Sharon, I think i might have seen you but now i can't quite remember. I was wearing a leather jacket with a black and white striped shirt (basically the only lad there without a shirt and tie on!)
Gregorian IV

Sharon, I think i might have seen you but now i can't quite remember. I was wearing a leather jacket with a black and white striped shirt (basically the only lad there without a shirt and tie on!)

:rofl:
BeesKnees
lol the very elite 1 hour club! A lady who gave me directions told me it was quite a trek and advised me to take a bus but then I thought if Mustard-man can do it, so can I. Curse you Mustard-man!! And may all the lakes and rivers of mustard across the land dry up :p: :eek4:

:rofl::biggrin: I'm sorry :p: :hugs: You asked 1 person for directions? I had to ask 5!!! :biggrin:

Nooo, they've all dried up :eek: :bawling:

BeesKnees

The girl who took me to my interview also told me that the Nottingham interviews are much worse because they ask really academically based questions, not trying to scare all of you Nottingham people but just thought i'd let you know.

Ah dear :rolleyes:. I don't really like the excessive boasting and the bad talking of Nottingham (which I heard was even worse last year :eek:).
Reply 76
Mustard-man
:
Ah dear :rolleyes:. I don't really like the excessive boasting and the bad talking of Nottingham (which I heard was even worse last year :eek:).

Why not complain to the Admissions people about the excessive boasting and put them right if it bothers you so much?

And in my time as a student at Manchester, I've never heard any bad talk of any school of pharmacy from any lecturer. The things you hear from the people showing you around is just their personal opinion.
HannahD
Why not complain to the Admissions people about the excessive boasting and put them right if it bothers you so much?

And in my time as a student at Manchester, I've never heard any bad talk of any school of pharmacy from any lecturer. The things you hear from the people showing you around is just their personal opinion.

Well it was only for 4 hours... :p:

No, it's only those interview days. They wouldn't deter you from Nottingham if you were already in Manchester, would they?
I actually asked about 5 people aswell lol (probably more)... usually to make sure the previous person had given me the right info so I just kept getting the same info from different people over and over again hehe.
Reply 79
BeesKnees
I actually asked about 5 people aswell lol (probably more)... usually to make sure the previous person had given me the right info so I just kept getting the same info from different people over and over again hehe.

Did you ask any of the staff?

Mustard-man
Well it was only for 4 hours... :p:

No, it's only those interview days. They wouldn't deter you from Nottingham if you were already in Manchester, would they?

Well if you couldn't stand the four hours of boasting at the interviews, I advise you to stay well away from Manchester!! You'll hear a lot of boasting over the four years but I guess it doesn't bother me much (in one ear...).

And who do you mean by "they"? Pharmacy school staff? Please expand on that last comment a little.

Latest

Trending

Trending