The Student Room Group

Dietetics 2007

I am looking to apply for a Dietetics course this year.

Although I know it is not compulsary, I know most universities ask for some kind of work experience in this area. I have written off to 10 hospitals, and the short story is that I will be unable to get work experience before I send off my UCAS statement

However, I have been a service user within a Nutrition and Dietetics Department. Is it worth mentioning this in my personal statement?
Reply 1
I think it is, you can relate it to personal experience and show knowledge of the area. You could also state your application for a work placement.

Thats what I think anyway, though I have no idea what admission tutors would make of it. There are people here more in-tune than I on the matter.
Reply 2
Groovy chick
I am looking to apply for a Dietetics course this year.

Although I know it is not compulsary, I know most universities ask for some kind of work experience in this area. I have written off to 10 hospitals, and the short story is that I will be unable to get work experience before I send off my UCAS statement

However, I have been a service user within a Nutrition and Dietetics Department. Is it worth mentioning this in my personal statement?

You can state in you're personal statement that you've shadowed a dietician (without giving a specific name of the hospital/surgery you did the experience) and then send it off. After you've sent it....do the work experience. As a result that wouldn't be lying and the interviewers wouldn't catch you out! :smile:
Reply 3
I don't know whether or not it would be a good or bad idea to say something like, "I intend to complete a period of work experience..." or "In December, I will shadow a dietician for a period of..."

On the one hand, no bending the truth is involved; on the other, it might seem a bit vague and wishy-washy!

At the end of the day, by the time you do start your course, you will hopefully have completed the work experience. If you can't get work experience in the field which you want now and are keen to have something hard and fast to write in your statement, try an allied discipline. You can show the skills and initiative university admissions tutors will be (presumably) looking in other ways.
I applied for Nutrition and Dietetics last year, even though I hadn't managed to gain any work experience in a hospital before I sent my personal statement off. All I said was that I had arranged to shadow a Dietician for a day and what I hoped to gain from it.

Please don't lie in your PS about already having gained experience if you haven't, because I know that most universities that offer the course interview applicants where it is funded by the NHS, and if you don't manage to secure anything before an interview you would (most probably) be screwed!

Just be really enthusiastic about the course and show a genuine interest in it, I got offers from all my 6 choices without work experience, even though I decided in the end it wasn't for me. If you need any help or have any questions about it though, feel free to contact me as I still have all my info about it.

Good luck!:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending