The Student Room Group

Keep away from drugs

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2918308/Father-supplied-fatal-batch-MDMA-17-year-old-daughter-delayed-taking-hospital-just-three-miles-away-began-die.html

So my parents took great care to ensure i did not embark on a drug-fuelled lifestyle. This unfortunate young lady met her death due to her Dad's encouragement to take drugs.

Scroll to see replies

I don't think that parents should be particularly encouraging drug use, but MDMA is actually a relatively safe chemical. Proper education on drugs (not schools trying to scare kids away from doing drugs by providing misleading propoganda) and a regulated supply would have saved this girls life.
Reply 2
Original post by DaveSmith99
I don't think that parents should be particularly encouraging drug use, but MDMA is actually a relatively safe chemical. Proper education on drugs (not schools trying to scare kids away from doing drugs by providing misleading propoganda) and a regulated supply would have saved this girls life.

ridiculous. any parent who gives drugs to their children should be locked up.
Original post by the bear
ridiculous. any parent who gives drugs to their children should be locked up.

What about what I said is ridiculous? Why are you more concerned with punishing the parent (which I didn't actually say anything about) than you seem to be about prevening people from dying needlessly?
Reply 4
What about what I said is ridiculous? Why are you more concerned with punishing the parent (which I didn't actually say anything about) than you seem to be about prevening people from dying needlessly?

why are people so desperate to allow drugs to flourish ? the world has gone mad.
I remember when my dad encouraged me to drink when I was 9, good times
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2918308/Father-supplied-fatal-batch-MDMA-17-year-old-daughter-delayed-taking-hospital-just-three-miles-away-began-die.html

So my parents took great care to ensure i did not embark on a drug-fuelled lifestyle. This unfortunate young lady met her death due to her Dad's encouragement to take drugs.

Despite your persistent anti-drug tirades that are fuelled by the fire of ignorance, I still have respect for you as a poster. Don't mess that up.

Now:
- "Keep away from drugs". Why? It wasn't "drugs" that caused this girl to die, it was a combination of a bad reaction to MDMA and her fathers irresponsibility. Even the prosecutors say that ('The prosecution case has always been that the actions of Jason Wilkes have played a significant part in her demise.").
It's also worth mentioning that MDMA is one drug that is not only vastly different from many other drugs, just as they are as different from each other as they are to it, but is also taken safely by millions of people over the globe.

- You cannot attempt to censor/ban drugs and expect it not to produce the Streisand effect. People should be educating themselves on how to take drugs safely, and thoroughly researching any drugs they take prior to taking them. Negative effects shouldn't be overlooked in the face on positives, nor should negative effects give an unbalanced and fear-inducing account of what taking any given drug is like.

- "Drug fuelled lifestyle". Roflcopter. I smoke cannabis a couple of times a week, does that mean I also have a "drug fuelled lifestyle"? :rolleyes: Don't be so disparaging.

- For the love of god, I wish people would stop using ONE EXAMPLE to make a blanket statement on drugs, it's infuriating. There are many many many many more positive drug stories than there is negative, FACT. I have no need to dispute that with you, it is a fact. Another fact is that the media, for the most part, only ever pick up on the negative ones and try to create a story out of it. Why? Why not reflect on the positive ones? Surely if we're playing a game of "someone died after x then x is bad" then I can turn around and say "Ahh, but thousands more didn't die after x therefore x is good :awesome: ".

I would await your reply anxiously but you've never responded to me seriously in the past regarding these matters :colonhash:
why are people so desperate to allow drugs to flourish ? the world has gone mad.

Drugs flourishing is not a new phenomena, it has been happening for hundreds of years. The world has gone mad yes, we've decided to hand over a multi-billion pound industry over to career criminals and allow them to run a completley unregulated market, to the detrement of this 17 year old girl and thousands of others like her. The populations desire for drugs is not the thing that has changed, how we supply that demand is.
Reply 8
Original post by Drunk Punx
Despite your persistent anti-drug tirades that are fuelled by the fire of ignorance, I still have respect for you as a poster. Don't mess that up.

Now:
- "Keep away from drugs". Why? It wasn't "drugs" that caused this girl to die, it was a combination of a bad reaction to MDMA and her fathers irresponsibility. Even the prosecutors say that ('The prosecution case has always been that the actions of Jason Wilkes have played a significant part in her demise.").
It's also worth mentioning that MDMA is one drug that is not only vastly different from many other drugs, just as they are as different from each other as they are to it, but is also taken safely by millions of people over the globe.

- You cannot attempt to censor/ban drugs and expect it not to produce the Streisand effect. People should be educating themselves on how to take drugs safely, and thoroughly researching any drugs they take prior to taking them. Negative effects shouldn't be overlooked in the face on positives, nor should negative effects give an unbalanced and fear-inducing account of what taking any given drug is like.

- "Drug fuelled lifestyle". Roflcopter. I smoke cannabis a couple of times a week, does that mean I also have a "drug fuelled lifestyle"? :rolleyes: Don't be so disparaging.

- For the love of god, I wish people would stop using ONE EXAMPLE to make a blanket statement on drugs, it's infuriating. There are many many many many more positive drug stories than there is negative, FACT. I have no need to dispute that with you, it is a fact. Another fact is that the media, for the most part, only ever pick up on the negative ones and try to create a story out of it. Why? Why not reflect on the positive ones? Surely if we're playing a game of "someone died after x then x is bad" then I can turn around and say "Ahh, but thousands more didn't die after x therefore x is good :awesome: ".

I would await your reply anxiously but you've never responded to me seriously in the past regarding these matters :colonhash:

yes, yes it does.
Reply 9
Drugs flourishing is not a new phenomena, it has been happening for hundreds of years. The world has gone mad yes, we've decided to hand over a multi-billion pound industry over to career criminals and allow them to run a completley unregulated market, to the detrement of this 17 year old girl and thousands of others like her. The populations desire for drugs is not the thing that has changed, how we supply that demand is.

the population demand all sorts of things; that does not mean they should be allowed to have them.
the population demand all sorts of things; that does not mean they should be allowed to have them.

I don't see any reason why what I choose to consume should be anything for the state to concern itself with. But even ignoring that, what purpose does an ineffectual ban on a relativley safe substance serve? Especially when it only leads to needless suffering and a massive, massive waste of resources.
Solid arguments based on a trustworthy Daily Mail article I see.
Didn't that professor nutt of psychopharmacology at imperial prove MDMA is less harmful then alcohol, not only to the consumer but also people around them.
Reply 13
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
Solid arguments based on a trustworthy Daily Mail article I see.

even less upright organs than The Daily Mail carry this terrible story:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/chloe-wilkes-death-dad-admits-5009194

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/20/father-jason-wilkes-daughter-chloe-fatal-ecstasy-dose
Reply 14
Original post by ParadiseFound
Didn't that professor nutt of psychopharmacology at imperial prove MDMA is less harmful then alcohol, not only to the consumer but also people around them.

The good professor should apologize to poor Chloe.
Proper education of the use and non use of drugs would be far more beneficial IMO.

Just outright saying drugs are going to kill you, is not helpful and will put kids into a position that they might try it later on in life if friends take it etc.

So yeah education on the problems with taking drugs rather than just outright saying they're going to kill you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Don't know about MDMA but a bit of marijuana every now and then is harmless.

The media love a good MDMA scare story but if you consider the figures, MDMA is one of the safest (legal or illegal) recreational drugs and there are proportionally more deaths from horse riding.

If you look at this stories anyway, in the majority of cases MDMA is not the cause of death.
why not give the young folk lessons on how to copulate with donkeys in a safe way ? that would be far better than saying that donkey sex is wrong. they may be tempted to experiment later on in life in friends do it.

Maybe we should stop giving kids contradictary messages by telling them that drugs are bad when we're all on drugs anyway?
:lolwut:

cf:

Maybe we should stop giving kids contradictory messages by telling them that killing hedgehogs is bad when we're all killing hedgehogs anyway?

[scrollr]WE ARE NOT ALL ON DRUGS PAL[/scrollr]

How many people in this thread do you think had a cup of coffee or tea this morning?

Quick Reply

Latest