The Student Room Group

The Murder Game, BBC, 2003

Does anyone remember the reality show, The Murder Game, on TV way back in 2003? It was really good, where 10 ordinary people had to solve a fictional murder in a town, and all the suspects were played by actors.

Each episode, two had to play the 'killers game' at some scary location, and only one would come back.

Some angel has uploaded the series onto youtube, and I have just re-watched it. I think it was so good, I wish the BBC would do a show like this now!

The first episode is just their training/getting to know the contestants, but from episode 2 onwards you see the murder they have to solve!

Did anyone else see this, or was it just me? :tongue:

[video="youtube;LCdypqCdydE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCdypqCdydE[/video]
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Suzanne123
Does anyone remember the reality show, The Murder Game, on TV way back in 2003? It was really good, where 10 ordinary people had to solve a fictional murder in a town, and all the suspects were played by actors.

Each episode, two had to play the 'killers game' at some scary location, and only one would come back.

Some angel has uploaded the series onto youtube, and I have just re-watched it. I think it was so good, I wish the BBC would do a show like this now!

The first episode is just their training/getting to know the contestants, but from episode 2 onwards you see the murder they have to solve!

Did anyone else see this, or was it just me? :tongue:

OH MY GOD I used to be obsessed with this when I was small.

Can't wait to watch it all again - thanks for sharing the link!

The lead detective was hilarious.
Reply 2
Original post by Mackay
OH MY GOD I used to be obsessed with this when I was small.

Can't wait to watch it all again - thanks for sharing the link!

The lead detective was hilarious.

Haha, I am glad someone else remembers it :smile:
Before I found them on youtube and I could only remember vague details, I was beginning to think I had imagined it!

Do you mean that Bob Taylor guy who was a real detective? Who used to keep them all in line when they messed up lol.

The killer games used to scare me so much! Especially the hospital one :hide:
Reply 3
Haha, I am glad someone else remembers it :smile:
Before I found them on youtube and I could only remember vague details, I was beginning to think I had imagined it!

Do you mean that Bob Taylor guy who was a real detective? Who used to keep them all in line when they messed up lol.

The killer games used to scare me so much! Especially the hospital one :hide:

Yeah, Bob Taylor! Didn't he have a really strong Yorkshire accent?

Yeah, the killer games were always pretty frightening. With the rise of Broadchurch and True Detective, I'm surprised they haven't tried to do this again.
Reply 4
Original post by Mackay
Yeah, Bob Taylor! Didn't he have a really strong Yorkshire accent?

Yeah, the killer games were always pretty frightening. With the rise of Broadchurch and True Detective, I'm surprised they haven't tried to do this again.

Yea he did.

I would love to see a series like this on TV again! I don't know why, but apparently this series didn't do very well when it was on in 2003, because I think there was talk of a second series for a while, but nothing ever came from it.

I thought the show was great though, especially the actors playing suspects, which must have been hard to do sometimes.
Reply 5
Going to start this tonight I think...
Reply 6
Original post by Mackay
Going to start this tonight I think...

Just a warning, don't look at any youtube comments until you have seen the series as I have seen the murderers name dropped in a few times (unless you can remember who it is!)
Reply 7
Just a warning, don't look at any youtube comments until you have seen the series as I have seen the murderers name dropped in a few times (unless you can remember who it is!)

Haha thanks! I can't remember, though.
Reply 8
Bumping this thread as I still highly recommend this show, if anyone has some hours to kill in the New Year :biggrin:
(edited 2 years ago)
I freaking loved this show. I have watched it so many times. I wish they'd bring it back with some modifications to the rules. At times I felt like it was more of a popularity contest than anything else. I have actually made a board game of 'The Murder Game' that I play regularly because I just can't get enough of it!
Original post by ScreamKing93
I freaking loved this show. I have watched it so many times. I wish they'd bring it back with some modifications to the rules. At times I felt like it was more of a popularity contest than anything else. I have actually made a board game of 'The Murder Game' that I play regularly because I just can't get enough of it!

I'd love it if the BBC did another series, and modernised it for 2017. Sadly I think it's unlikely. But if done well, I think it could have a large viewing!
I'd love it if the BBC did another series, and modernised it for 2017. Sadly I think it's unlikely. But if done well, I think it could have a large viewing!

I agree 100%. I think if the BBC (or even another network) bought it back, they'd be surprised by the amount of people that would watch it. Every time I mention the show to someone they either say they loved it or that they never saw it but it sounds like a great show. But I also think you're right in the respect that I doubt any TV station will give it a chance.
I agree 100%. I think if the BBC (or even another network) bought it back, they'd be surprised by the amount of people that would watch it. Every time I mention the show to someone they either say they loved it or that they never saw it but it sounds like a great show. But I also think you're right in the respect that I doubt any TV station will give it a chance.

When I mention it, most people have never heard of it!
Although it's slightly dated, I think it's still an interesting series to watch, so I always recommend it.

It did become a bit of a popularity contest among the contestants - that became more of a feature of the show, than the actual investigation itself!
There were some big/competitive personalities in there.
I've got all the episodes on a VHS tape somewhere.

There definitely was talk of a 2nd series as i remember reading about it on the BBC website but as we know nothing came out of it.
Original post by TheTimeTraveller
I've got all the episodes on a VHS tape somewhere.

There definitely was talk of a 2nd series as i remember reading about it on the BBC website but as we know nothing came out of it.

Can we hold out hope of a second series now?
...14 years later! :s-smilie:
I keep watching this show on YouTube. I'm so obsessed with it. I agree that it should be revived in some shape or form. If it were, I would definitely apply to be on it.

The only thing I didn't like about the show was how unkind the other contestants were to Richard. Both Meryl and Richard were by far the most talented investigators, and worked really well together whenever they were on the same team.
Original post by Less(e/o)n
I keep watching this show on YouTube. I'm so obsessed with it. I agree that it should be revived in some shape or form. If it were, I would definitely apply to be on it.

The only thing I didn't like about the show was how unkind the other contestants were to Richard. Both Meryl and Richard were by far the most talented investigators, and worked really well together whenever they were on the same team.

It's interesting how the show became very centered on the contestants, as there was a lot of 'drama' around them. It probably fills up around half of the shows dynamics! Interesting to watch though.
I thought this person sounded familiar, and then I realised who it was... Chief Bob Taylor!
He was the one who sent the investigators out on their lines of enquires and passed/failed them.
I did and my daughter too - what I can't believe is that they have never made another series!

Quick Reply

Latest