The Student Room Group

Gym beginner's journey

Hello everyone!

I recently signed up to the gym and had my induction last week and have been once since then.

I plan to go tomorrow. :smile:

From now on I will be updating this thread, (blog), with information on what I did at the gym as I now know how all the equipment fully work.

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by alexyyyy
Hello everyone!

I recently signed up to the gym and had my induction last week and have been once since then.

I plan to go tomorrow. :smile:

From now on I will be updating this thread, (blog), with information on what I did at the gym as I now know how all the equipment fully work.

Thanks! :smile:

Awesome! I'm thinking of starting at the gym too as a total newbie so will be reading how you get on!
Reply 2
Original post by Queen Cersei
Awesome! I'm thinking of starting at the gym too as a total newbie so will be reading how you get on!

Thank you! I have quite bad social anxiety so will be interesting myself to see how I get on and am glad it will help others. :smile:
Good luck :smile:

A great place to start is the new FAQ :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3014757
Reply 4
Original post by Angry cucumber
Good luck :smile:

A great place to start is the new FAQ :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3014757

Thanks for this!

By the way, working out on a treadmill doesn't have to be tedious, especially when you can play Majhong or other games on the treadmill in my local gym! :smile:
Thank you! I have quite bad social anxiety so will be interesting myself to see how I get on and am glad it will help others. :smile:

That is a massive reason I don't go to the gym... I'm pretty nervous about exercising in public, but I think it is amazing that you are tackling that which means that I should really follow suit!
Reply 6
Thanks everyone! I haven't been very well but hope to go to the gym tomorrow. :smile:
Reply 7
That is a massive reason I don't go to the gym... I'm pretty nervous about exercising in public, but I think it is amazing that you are tackling that which means that I should really follow suit!

Thank you very much! It really does do wonders if you can manage to go at non-peak times.

Went today and did an hour and five minutes on the machinery and burnt a total of 500 calories.

I am very pleased with myself. :smile:

I spent 20 minutes on the treadmill, 10 minutes on the rowing machine, 10 minutes on the treadmill, 10 minutes on the rowing machine, 10 minutes on the spin bike and then 5 minutes back on the treadmill.

The lady at the gym showed me how to save my progress on a fitness key so will be doing that properly next week.

Hope this inspires you and thanks for reading! :smile:
Thank you very much! It really does do wonders if you can manage to go at non-peak times.

Went today and did an hour and five minutes on the machinery and burnt a total of 500 calories.

I am very pleased with myself. :smile:

I spent 20 minutes on the treadmill, 10 minutes on the rowing machine, 10 minutes on the treadmill, 10 minutes on the rowing machine, 10 minutes on the spin bike and then 5 minutes back on the treadmill.

The lady at the gym showed me how to save my progress on a fitness key so will be doing that properly next week.

Hope this inspires you and thanks for reading! :smile:

Wow sounds like you went full hog! Well done :smile:

What on earth is a fitness key?!
Reply 9
Wow sounds like you went full hog! Well done :smile:

What on earth is a fitness key?!

Thank you!

Oh it's a TECHNOGYM key where you put it into a tablet on a stand in the gym to start your workout and then put it in each machine and it records your progress and at the end it adds up the calories automatically. :smile:
Thank you!

Oh it's a TECHNOGYM key where you put it into a tablet on a stand in the gym to start your workout and then put it in each machine and it records your progress and at the end it adds up the calories automatically. :smile:

That sounds awesome! Keep it up!
Reply 11
That sounds awesome! Keep it up!

It also has lots of other cool options, but I won't be using them at the moment. :smile:

So how about you? Any thoughts about going to the gym?
It also has lots of other cool options, but I won't be using them at the moment. :smile:

So how about you? Any thoughts about going to the gym?

I'm very ashamed to say that I am still terrified! I've not got the money at the moment so can use that as an excuse right now but I don't even think I would know what to do after stepping into the gym! How did you handle your first session?
Reply 13
I'm very ashamed to say that I am still terrified! I've not got the money at the moment so can use that as an excuse right now but I don't even think I would know what to do after stepping into the gym! How did you handle your first session?

Please don't be ashamed! I know exactly how you feel. I'm on ESA and I find it hard to find the money but my local gym does concessionary discounts.

I just went for an induction- you could go with a friend and just get a feel for the place.

I go when it's lunchtime as people are at work, (I don't work), and it's often empty.

The gym induction was so good and the lady understood my problems that I went again and it was fine. As time goes on it gets easier.

During the day it's mainly older people who are much less mobile than me anyway so I know they're not looking at me. :smile:

Hope that helps?
Please don't be ashamed! I know exactly how you feel. I'm on ESA and I find it hard to find the money but my local gym does concessionary discounts.

I just went for an induction- you could go with a friend and just get a feel for the place.

I go when it's lunchtime as people are at work, (I don't work), and it's often empty.

The gym induction was so good and the lady understood my problems that I went again and it was fine. As time goes on it gets easier.

During the day it's mainly older people who are much less mobile than me anyway so I know they're not looking at me. :smile:

Hope that helps?

Yes that's really good advice! I work above a gym though so it is packed at lunchtime :s-smilie: I think I might try an exercise class first before I dive into the gym section :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest