The Student Room Group

UCAS/Uni/BTECH mess up

Hi Guys,

I'm currently in quite a big predicament and i'll try to condense as much back story as i can in this post so please bear with me...

In 2011/12 I did a failed year of AS Levels, and in 20112/13 & 2013/14 I retried my A Levels and passed with BCD. Not great by any stretch, but yeah it took me 3 years to finish A levels instead of 2. Last summer after receiving my results i ridiculously rushed into a clearing course studying media, mainly due to pressure of friends going to uni feeling I had to go. Months later i'm in this situation where i want to quit (de montfort) after half a year due to lack of interest in course and awful teaching. Media was not for me, and I have my heart set on a career in engineering. The only way for me to get to uni to study engineering is for me to do a 2 year BTEC level 3 diploma, meaning I will be 22 when i start Uni.

My question is due to having done half a year at a uni does that affect my ability to get funding for my new degree? (I only had a loan for the course, no maintenance loan)

And will my chances of studying engineering an another uni in 2 years time be seriously reduced because i will have dropped out?

If you stayed this long, I appreciate it and thanks for reading! :smile:
Original post by jackstevens911
Hi Guys,

I'm currently in quite a big predicament and i'll try to condense as much back story as i can in this post so please bear with me...

In 2011/12 I did a failed year of AS Levels, and in 20112/13 & 2013/14 I retried my A Levels and passed with BCD. Not great by any stretch, but yeah it took me 3 years to finish A levels instead of 2. Last summer after receiving my results i ridiculously rushed into a clearing course studying media, mainly due to pressure of friends going to uni feeling I had to go. Months later i'm in this situation where i want to quit (de montfort) after half a year due to lack of interest in course and awful teaching. Media was not for me, and I have my heart set on a career in engineering. The only way for me to get to uni to study engineering is for me to do a 2 year BTEC level 3 diploma, meaning I will be 22 when i start Uni.

My question is due to having done half a year at a uni does that affect my ability to get funding for my new degree? (I only had a loan for the course, no maintenance loan)

And will my chances of studying engineering an another uni in 2 years time be seriously reduced because i will have dropped out?

If you stayed this long, I appreciate it and thanks for reading! :smile:
Student finance allows you a false start. You get length of course + 1 year - years taken, and in your case this will still give you the full length of the new course.

Universities will judge you on your merits and if you are a good candidate they will consider you. They know people make mistakes. Your age will be immaterial.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending