The Student Room Group

Should I drop a subject?

Currently I am studying English Literature, Language, History and Psychology (and general studies but... meh) at AS. I'm thinking of dropping one of them as I feel I'm spreading myself too thinly and not achieving the grades I'm hoping for because of this. I'm unsure whether there is any point in me dropping one anyway, considering I have done half a year already on each course. And also, I have no idea which subject I would benefit most from dropping.

The question is between History or Psychology as English is what I would like to pursue at University so that's a no-brainer (as Kevin Bacon would say...). I have a passion for both History and Psychology and have just received an A for my Psychology mock; however I feel History is most complementary for English and vice versa.

Basically, I need some advice to help sway my indecisiveness! Any help would be appreciated! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Trose198
Currently I am studying English Literature, Language, History and Psychology (and general studies but... meh) at AS. I'm thinking of dropping one of them as I feel I'm spreading myself too thinly and not achieving the grades I'm hoping for because of this. I'm unsure whether there is any point in me dropping one anyway, considering I have done half a year already on each course. And also, I have no idea which subject I would benefit most from dropping.

The question is between History or Psychology as English is what I would like to pursue at University so that's a no-brainer (as Kevin Bacon would say...). I have a passion for both History and Psychology and have just received an A for my Psychology mock; however I feel History is most complementary for English and vice versa.

Basically, I need some advice to help sway my indecisiveness! Any help would be appreciated! :smile:

Hi!

Firstly, it's a good thing your subjects are similar in that they are essay based. You can use similar skills in each one.

Secondly, the best way to choose which subject to drop next year, is to see how well you do in your real exams. If you get a B or below in one of them and you are aiming for A's, then drop that one and keep the others. If you get all A's like you want, then you can drop Psychology as it sounds like you need History more.

I think it really is based on what grades you get, then you know how much work you need to do to improve your grade.

Hope this helped!
Reply 2
Oh I forgot to mention, if you think you cannot do as well with 4 subjects then drop one. Universities really care for the first 3. You need to think about the fact that you need 3A's if you want to go into one of the top universities.
Original post by Trose198

Before you make any sort of decision, have a look at a few university websites for English courses. I'm not sure if it applies to English, but some courses require you to have three full A-levels and one AS.

Speak to your teachers about your concerns, they'll point you in the right direction. Don't stress too much (I know it's easier said than done), exams are still a little while away yet.
Reply 4
Original post by tazk786
Hi!

Firstly, it's a good thing your subjects are similar in that they are essay based. You can use similar skills in each one.

Secondly, the best way to choose which subject to drop next year, is to see how well you do in your real exams. If you get a B or below in one of them and you are aiming for A's, then drop that one and keep the others. If you get all A's like you want, then you can drop Psychology as it sounds like you need History more.

I think it really is based on what grades you get, then you know how much work you need to do to improve your grade.

Hope this helped!

Sorry - only just seen your reply... I don't really come on TSR much!

Ah thankyou! Yes you're right; I think I should probably drop Psychology.

Thanks again!
Reply 5
Original post by TheStudent18
Before you make any sort of decision, have a look at a few university websites for English courses. I'm not sure if it applies to English, but some courses require you to have three full A-levels and one AS.

Speak to your teachers about your concerns, they'll point you in the right direction. Don't stress too much (I know it's easier said than done), exams are still a little while away yet.

That's true. I will do, thanks for your help!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest