The Student Room Group

was my tutor out of order and is my course rubbish

i ve been pretty depressed lately and had lots of virus infections at the start of winter, i missed a few lessons and on one occasion my tutor snatched a book from me a bit aggressively in front of my class, then had a really unhelpful talk that i was paying for my course (??? i know that omg) and that i should have phoned (even tho they only do absence by intranet) this guy is going to be my tutor for the rest of the year, he does not know about my subject much its just because he is the only higher ed teacher at the place i go to, it really sucks.

plus he says , if i don't want help with the course, then i don't have to have tutorials with him, all i did was ask if he was going to be my tutor next year, does my course sound ****? and now i have to make a product for a private company that they will not pay for from my own time and expense which they will keep forever. (
higher education, wow i feel exploited
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi

I'm sorry you feel that you're having a bad experience with this particular person. If you're unhappy with your student experience, you should speak to your SU- that's part of what they're there for and they may be able to advise you on any specific issues you have. Do you have a course rep? If you do, you could also raise any issues you have with how your course is run with them.

However, you should make sure you are dealing with your absences properly, and catching up on what you missed. Maybe check your uni handbook again to make sure there isn't a different policy for repeated absences or something.
Make a complaint.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Hi

I'm sorry you feel that you're having a bad experience with this particular person. If you're unhappy with your student experience, you should speak to your SU- that's part of what they're there for and they may be able to advise you on any specific issues you have. Do you have a course rep? If you do, you could also raise any issues you have with how your course is run with them.

However, you should make sure you are dealing with your absences properly, and catching up on what you missed. Maybe check your uni handbook again to make sure there isn't a different policy for repeated absences or something.

thank you :biggrin: they defo only do absence by intranet. they only just got a sort of student Union together. but i think i m just going to keep my head down and wait for summer and then leave the course. :s-smilie: they were desparate for money and didnt even ask for a reference. now i know its because its not a good course, and there is nothing i can do. waa
Original post by SweatHeart
Make a complaint.

hm realy? i don't want to get anyone in trouble tho.
Original post by rustyappletree
thank you :biggrin: they defo only do absence by intranet. they only just got a sort of student Union together. but i think i m just going to keep my head down and wait for summer and then leave the course. :s-smilie: they were desparate for money and didnt even ask for a reference. now i know its because its not a good course, and there is nothing i can do. waa

Just out of interest, what sort of course are you studying?
i ve been pretty depressed lately and had lots of virus infections at the start of winter, i missed a few lessons and on one occasion my tutor snatched a book from me a bit aggressively in front of my class, then had a really unhelpful talk that i was paying for my course (??? i know that omg) and that i should have phoned (even tho they only do absence by intranet) this guy is going to be my tutor for the rest of the year, he does not know about my subject much its just because he is the only higher ed teacher at the place i go to, it really sucks.

plus he says , if i don't want help with the course, then i don't have to have tutorials with him, all i did was ask if he was going to be my tutor next year, does my course sound ****? and now i have to make a product for a private company that they will not pay for from my own time and expense which they will keep forever. (
higher education, wow i feel exploited

Hiya,

First off - I've had to edit your post so that you're not avoiding the swear filter - please don't do this as it's there for a reason. :smile:

Secondly, you can request another academic tutor - especially if they're not being helpful to you.

What are you studying, if you don't mind answering? It may help me understand what's happening - do you have any more examples of them being unhelpful?

Are you having a good time otherwise? Are you enjoying your modules?

Look forward to your response :h:

-RF
Original post by Roving Fish
Hiya,

First off - I've had to edit your post so that you're not avoiding the swear filter - please don't do this as it's there for a reason. :smile:

Secondly, you can request another academic tutor - especially if they're not being helpful to you.

What are you studying, if you don't mind answering? It may help me understand what's happening - do you have any more examples of them being unhelpful?

Are you having a good time otherwise? Are you enjoying your modules?

Look forward to your response :h:

-RF

opps , sorry bout that :biggrin:
realy awesome ! thankyou but could I PM you? Its just that , if i name the course here it would totally single out were i am studying and who etc its one of very few courses in uk.
Just out of interest, what sort of course are you studying?

it is an art course. :redface: a higher education art course
opps , sorry bout that :biggrin:
realy awesome ! thankyou but could I PM you? Its just that , if i name the course here it would totally single out were i am studying and who etc its one of very few courses in uk.

Yeah sure :smile:
it is an art course. :redface: a higher education art course

Sometimes higher education courses are affiliated with particular unis and they are the ones who actually award the qualification. If this is the case, you could also contact the SU of the uni they are affiliated to for advice- a more established SU may be better able to help you (if, of course, you decide you want to take things further).

However, if it's something more general, like an art foundation year, this probably won't apply, and just keeping your head down may be the best option.
Sometimes higher education courses are affiliated with particular unis and they are the ones who actually award the qualification. If this is the case, you could also contact the SU of the uni they are affiliated to for advice- a more established SU may be better able to help you (if, of course, you decide you want to take things further).

However, if it's something more general, like an art foundation year, this probably won't apply, and just keeping your head down may be the best option.

thanku. :smile: hm ,its not an art foundation. it is suppose to be level 5 uni. :s-smilie: i ll have a look into an established SU. :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending