The Student Room Group

Royal Veterinary College-any advice?

I'm looking at unis and I was wondering what people though about the Royal Vet College? From what I've seen it looks good, but does anyone have hands-on experience with it?
Hi

I've moved your thread to the Veterinary Medicine sub-forum, as you're more likely to get useful replies here.
Reply 2
I'm a second year vet student at the RVC if you have any questions 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by beckycat
I'm a second year vet student at the RVC if you have any questions ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! Thanks! ^^

I checked the website, but just to be sure do you need to have done maths in the sixth form?

Also, so, how much work experience/where did you do to secure a place? ^^ I know the minimum requirements, but they are just the minimum.
Reply 4
Original post by TheHalfCentaur
Hi! Thanks! ^^

I checked the website, but just to be sure do you need to have done maths in the sixth form?

Also, so, how much work experience/where did you do to secure a place? ^^ I know the minimum requirements, but they are just the minimum.

You definitely don't have to do maths, you have to do biology and chemistry but your third subject is up to you. I did physics but know others that did non sciencey subjects like English.

Work experience wise I worked a couple of evenings a week at my local vets for a two ish years before applying, 3 weeks small animal vets, 2 weeks large animal vets, 2 weeks lambing, 2 weeks dairy, 1 week goats, 1 week kennels, 1 week stables, 1 week exotics. I know people in my year with a bit less work experience though. Just try to get as much varied work experience as you can! :smile:
Thank you!

Do you know anything about doing an intercalated year at rvc?
Reply 6
Original post by TheHalfCentaur
Thank you!

Do you know anything about doing an intercalated year at rvc?

I don't know a huge amount about it to be honest since its not something I'm planning to do. But I do know of a few people planning to intercalate between 2nd and 3rd year. RVC offer you the chance to either study bioveterinary science or veterinary pathology in your intercalated year. Or you can go to another uni for the year and study something completely different.
That's great, thank you ^^
Original post by beckycat
I'm a second year vet student at the RVC if you have any questions ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, Thanks for the help!

I really like RVC but the one thing I'm not too keen about is how the college is dedicated to one department and it won't be as easy to meet a wide range of new people.
I've talked with the staff from the university and they ensured me that I will have lots of opportunities to meet people from outside the college.
However I know how intense the course is so I'm worried that even if I'm given the opportunity, I'll be way too busy to actually get out of uni and join clubs from the University of London and stuff.
So I was wondering what it is really?

Also do you like the course? I've heard that you get lots and lots of hands on experience...

Thanks for the help!
My daughter just got accepted. Anyone looking for a college roommate. Any tips on where to live? She is moving from the USA.
Original post by koalatpreschool
My daughter just got accepted. Anyone looking for a college roommate. Any tips on where to live? She is moving from the USA.

RVC should send out info on accommodation options soon (you can also look on the website as they are listed on there too). The main one for first years is in Kentish Town which is about a 20min walk from the campus in Camden, or she could choose to rent privately but that is harder to arrange from overseas. Room sharing is not an option in the UK by the way, some housing will have shared bathrooms (although en suite is more and more common) but always separate bedrooms!
Original post by Popsicle_pirate
RVC should send out info on accommodation options soon (you can also look on the website as they are listed on there too). The main one for first years is in Kentish Town which is about a 20min walk from the campus in Camden, or she could choose to rent privately but that is harder to arrange from overseas. Room sharing is not an option in the UK by the way, some housing will have shared bathrooms (although en suite is more and more common) but always separate bedrooms!

Some universities in the UK definitely offer shared accommodation in the form of twin rooms. At least Edinburgh definitely does and it's much cheaper obviously.
Reply 12
Original post by koalatpreschool

Congratulations to your daughter. My daughter is currently a second year vet med student at the RVC. Most international students are allocated onsite accommodation at College Grove.
My daughter lived there in 1st year. She shared a flat with 5 others, 2 of whom were from the USA. She had an ensuite bedroom and shared kitchen/dining area. College Grove tends to be allocated to students who live furthest from the university. We live in North England hence we were allocated this accommodation, although you do have a choice. Some prefer to live in Mary Banker, shared flats which as someone has previously stated is in Kentish Town, a short walk away from the Uni.
In subsequent years people tend to privately rent with friends until they move to the other campus in Hawskead, when again there is onsite shared accommodation available.
Hope this helps. However, she should receive an accommodation pack with all available choices from the RVC soon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending