The Student Room Group

Scores of Churches Destroyed by Charlie Hebdo Protests in Niger

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2015/january-web-only/scores-of-churches-destroyed-charlie-hebdo-protests-niger.html

(WWM) Less than a week after Niger's president marched alongside dozens of world leaders in Paris following the Charlie Hebdo shooting, Muslim protests in Niger have claimed the lives of 10 people and destroyed more than 70 Christian churches in the desert nation's two largest cities.

Niger, long praised for its secular government and relative tolerance towards Christians (more than 98 percent of its population are Muslim), has seen growing radicalization in recent years. In 2012, several churches in the country’s second-largest city, Zinder, were vandalized by mobs in response to a provocative video, The Innocence of Muslims. This led Open Doors to add Niger to its 2013 ranking of the 50 countries where it's most difficult to be a Christian. (Niger was removed from this year's World Watch List, although persecution levels remain virtually the same.)

A Baptist church burned over Charlie Hebdo protests in Niamey.
Image: Open Doors International
A Baptist church burned over Charlie Hebdo protests in Niamey.
The weekend protests started in Zinder on Friday (Jan. 16) and spread to surrounding areas before reaching the capital, Niamey, on Saturday.

Nigerien police say 10 people died and 45 churches burned down in the two days of violence. (Religion News Service reports the "targeted churches were mainly of the evangelical denominations built on the left bank of Niamey.")

But information gathered by World Watch Monitor (WWM) reveals that more than 70 churches have been destroyed, along with numerous Christian schools and organisations, including an orphanage. The 40 children of “The Good Samaritan,’’ run by the Assembly of God Church, are currently in ‘‘disarray’’ under the care of police.

Over 30 Christian homes were believed to be looted and burnt down. Those affected say the violence has left them with “only the clothes on our backs.”

Stupidity and hate are still alive and well on the Earth, it seems. I can't think of a more stupid act that burning down churches because a magazine hundreds of miles away, that also insulted Christians, drew some pictures. I can't imagine killing someone because they have a slightly different religious belief to me. But I am not an idiot. So these things are just beyond me.

This makes about as much sense as attacking the offices of the local newspaper because you didn't like a dinner you had whilst travelling in Asia. Ridiculous.

Scroll to see replies

Disgustingly stupid.
It's a religion of peace don't you know?
I'm sure we'll get the usual crowd of apologists all over this story, explaining how the violent disgusting fools who went on this destructive rampage are Not True Muslims, and how yes, destroying churches is a bit sad and unnecessary and all, but really it's all the fault of The Evil West and the Zionists somehow (actually it's almost certainly a Zionist plot to make Muslims look bad), and that the real tragedy of the story is that there might be a backlash against Muslims somewhere. Because Muslims are allllllllways the real victims, no matter how much death and destruction some of them cause to others.
Those guys in Charlie Hebdo may not even be Christians, how stupid can some people get. If Charlie Hebdo insults Christianity, is it OK to burn down some mosques? Stupid, right?
Original post by Achaea
I'm sure we'll get the usual crowd of apologists all over this story, explaining how the violent disgusting fools who went on this destructive rampage are Not True Muslims, and how yes, destroying churches is a bit sad and unnecessary and all, but really it's all the fault of The Evil West and the Zionists somehow (actually it's almost certainly a Zionist plot to make Muslims look bad), and that the real tragedy of the story is that there might be a backlash against Muslims somewhere. Because Muslims are allllllllways the real victims, no matter how much death and destruction some of them cause to others.

Not being an apologist...at all...

But let's not tar a whole group of people with the same brush, because of the actions of a few. These are extremists. What they are doing is wrong plain and simple...they have overreacted to a magazine which decided to print a picture of the Prophet Muhammed (pbuh), which was in itself a response to more extremists overreacting to previous pictures the magazine published of the Prophet Muhammed (pbuh).

The majority of the protests have been peaceful.
As with any protest, it's the extremist ones -- ie. the people who are violent, which take center stage. Muslims don't tar Christians with the same brush when the EDL goes in and attacks a mosque.

Read for yourself...Islam, like any religion, has quite a tolerant attitude towards people of other religions.

“This is a message from Muhammad ibn Abdullah, as a covenant to those who adopt Christianity, near and far, we are with them. Verily I, the servants, the helpers, and my followers defend them, because Christians are my citizens; and by God! I hold out against anything that displeases them. No compulsion is to be on them. Neither are their judges to be removed from their jobs nor their monks from their monasteries. No one is to destroy a house of their religion, to damage it, or to carry anything from it to the Muslims’ houses. Should anyone take any of these, he would spoil God’s covenant and disobey His Prophet. Verily, they are my allies and have my secure charter against all that they hate. No one is to force them to travel or to oblige them to fight. The Muslims are to fight for them. If a female Christian is married to a Muslim, it is not to take place without her approval. She is not to be prevented from visiting her church to pray. Their churches are declared to be protected. They are neither to be prevented from repairing them nor the sacredness of their covenants. No one of the nation (Muslims) is to disobey the covenant till the Last Day (end of the world).”

And no. I'm not a Muslim.
But, I have the pleasure of counting many Muslims among my friends, and I'm really annoyed when people try to tar people with the same brush. The overwhelming majority of Muslims are moderate, peaceful, and very tolerant of people of different religions.
In the words of the Black Eyed Peas,

But if you only have love for your own race
Then you only leave space to discriminate
And to discriminate only generates hate
And when you hate then you're bound to get irate, yeah
Madness is what you demonstrate
And that's exactly how anger works and operates
Now, you gotta have love just to set it straight
Take control of your mind and meditate
Let your soul gravitate to the love, y'all, y'all

:pepsi::pepsi::pepsi:
Original post by jammy4041
Muslims don't tar Christians with the same brush when the EDL goes in and attacks a mosque.

What a ridiculous comparison. For a start the EDL are a political party and nothing to do with religion, so they can't actually be affiliated with Christianity.

sYou can't tar all EDL member with the same brush just because of the extremist few.
Hardly surprising.
Original post by DiddyDec
What a ridiculous comparison. For a start the EDL are a political party and nothing to do with religion, so they can't actually be affiliated with Christianity.

sYou can't tar all EDL member with the same brush just because of the extremist few.

The EDL's entire mission statement concerns Islam, with their perverse fears about Muslims. The comparison is apt, because of all of the Mosques which they went into and attacked. And they are the ones who are apparently maintaining "Christian" values. Of course, you and I both know, that they do not maintain Christian values, at all, but their claim of doing so could represent a significant challenge for harmony between Christian and Muslim people, if Muslims were to be of the belief that all Christians act like.

Responsible for Equality And Liberty (R.E.A.L.) supports our universal human rights of freedom of religion, freedom of conscience, and freedom of worship for ALL people without exception in the United States and around the world.
The Anti-Islam organization in the United Kingdom known as the English Defence League or “EDL” led protests on Saturday October 9 in Leicester. The EDL has a history of violent protests and riots in their anti-Islam demonstrations throughout the United Kingdom. The EDL protests and riots are rarely mentioned by the United States news media.
Photo Below: EDL Anti-Islam Protest in Leicester and Smoke Bombs Thrown at Police (Photo: YouTube)

Some have joined the EDL due to their fears and concerns about other extremists in the United Kingdom rationalizing anti-human rights views, violent plots, and terrorist acts based on their interpretation of Islam. But the EDL does not merely challenge such extremists or terrorists its has an anti-Islam campaign. Such anti-Islam extremism has come to attract those who believe that EDL extremism of their own, even violence, is justified. Others supporting the EDL seek to look the other way, excuse their violence, or rationalize their violence as the ends justifies the means. R.E.A.L. urges all people to re-examine the power of hate in their lives, and choose love, not hate.
The EDL lead spokesman, using the pseudonym “Tommy Robinson,” claimed that the EDL’s efforts are to defend “Christian culture” in the United Kingdom. Mr. Robinson’s speech included defending the dignity of the Christian Bible while using the “F-word” in the same sentence repeatedly. Such vulgar language was repeatedly a part of Mr. Robinson’s speech in support of “Christian culture” and against Islam and British Muslims. In Mr. Robinson’s speech, he also claims to be harassed by the British police who are investigating him and friends for criminal charges involving money laundering and other crimes, which have been discussed online. When the Stop Islamization of America (SIOA) group’s leader invited the EDL to join the 9/11 protest against the Islamic Center in NYC, Mr. Robinson was not allowed into the country by U.S. Homeland Security. While Mr. Robinson spoke, his supporters waved a signing reading “no more mosques.”

https://realhumanrights.wordpress.com/2010/10/15/edl-riot/

What if Muslims were to believe all Christians were as intolerant as the guy who burned the Qu'ran in response to the tenth anniversary of 9/11? The majority should not be tarred with the same brush because of the actions of a few extremists.
Original post by jammy4041
The EDL's entire mission statement concerns Islam, with their perverse fears about Muslims. The comparison is apt, because of all of the Mosques which they went into and attacked. And they are the ones who are apparently maintaining "Christian" values. Of course, you and I both know, that they do not maintain Christian values, at all, but their claim of doing so could represent a significant challenge for harmony between Christian and Muslim people, if Muslims were to be of the belief that all Christians act like.

What if Muslims were to believe all Christians were as intolerant as the guy who burned the Qu'ran in response to the tenth anniversary of 9/11? The majority should not be tarred with the same brush because of the actions of a few extremists.

Christian values does not mean they are Christian. The comparison is silly, it would be more apt to actually use the actions of some extremist Christians groups.

People can believe that ever they like, whether that be that all Christians are terrible people or that there is a magical man in the sky who grants wishes. As long as they don't tell me about their belief or have it effect my life in any way then I don't care.
Original post by DiddyDec
Christian values does not mean they are Christian. The comparison is silly, it would be more apt to actually use the actions of some extremist Christians groups.

People can believe that ever they like, whether that be that all Christians are terrible people or that there is a magical man in the sky who grants wishes. As long as they don't tell me about their belief or have it effect my life in any way then I don't care.

That's why I put Christian in quotes. In a similar vein, I would argue that Al Qaeda is an extremist 'Islamic' group. You and I both know that EDL don't represent Christian values, and quite frankly, a lot of Muslims will distance themselves from Al Qaeda, to such an extent that they can't really be said to represent 'Islamic' values either. But the whole raison d'etre of the EDL is the defense of their values of Christianity in the face of 'Islamic invasion.' Attacking Mosques in the name of Christianity isn't exactly the definition of tolerance espoused by Christianity.

The thing is, if ordinary Muslims were to believe that the EDL represented Christian values, because of their mission statement, because of their outright hatred to Muslims, then there would be signficant source of tension, and all Christians would be tarred with the same brush.

But then again, ordinary Muslims don't do that...

So let's consider the reverse. Why are attacks, on Churches, considered such an outrage? Well, the destruction of any religious place of worship is terrible. Why, are all Muslims being tarred with the same brush, because a few extremists in Niger have reacted very badly? They don't represent the values of Islam, since Islam espouses tolerance to ? Why is there the charges, on TSR especially, that Islam is a 'violent religion', 'intolerant religion' etc?

Again...Ordinary Muslims don't exactly go burning down Churches....

And again, What if Muslims were to believe all Christians were as intolerant as the guy who burned the Qu'ran in response to the tenth anniversary of 9/11? I mean...he is a pastor. He does have a singificant following...should all Muslims tar all Christians with the same brush because of the action of some hick?

The majority should not be tarred with the same brush because of the actions of a few extremists. That is my main takeaway. Regardless of religious affiliation.
Original post by navarre
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2015/january-web-only/scores-of-churches-destroyed-charlie-hebdo-protests-niger.html

Stupidity and hate are still alive and well on the Earth, it seems. I can't think of a more stupid act that burning down churches because a magazine hundreds of miles away, that also insulted Christians, drew some pictures. I can't imagine killing someone because they have a slightly different religious belief to me. But I am not an idiot. So these things are just beyond me.

This makes about as much sense as attacking the offices of the local newspaper because you didn't like a dinner you had whilst travelling in Asia. Ridiculous.

You called a march through the streets 'xenophobic' in your PEGIDA thread. You're now choosing to refrain from using the word when Christians are murdered, their chuches burnt to the ground by Muslim protesters. You're as bad as anybody.
I was kidding myself thinking that this wouldn't happen. A shame for all those who do nothing wrong.
Reply 15
How stupid is this. Please don't blame Islam. This is a forbidden act in islam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SHBK

Posted from TSR Mobile

It my be forbidden but it still happens.
Original post by SHBK

Posted from TSR Mobile

How typical, that people are dead and their places of worship destroyed and your only concern is to bleat 'don't blame Islam!'
Original post by SHBK

Posted from TSR Mobile

Repped.

Original post by Achaea

Original post by Achaea
How typical, that people are dead and their places of worship destroyed and your only concern is to bleat 'don't blame Islam!'

I know my post wasn't exactly filled with concern for Churches destroyed by the protests....but:

Let me please be frank here, but come on, now...you hardly showed concern for the scores of people dead, and the destruction of their places of worship, in your first post. In that, you chose to establish (or maintain) the link which tars all Muslims with the same brush because of the actions of some extremists. Ultimately, the main concern, and it's not just you, btw, is whether they represent all Muslims. It got to that point quite quickly. I get Muslim-bashing is fairly vogue...for some weird reason...and it's quite tetchy...but stereotypes and sweeping generalizations get no-where.

So it is quite right, to point out that we should not "blame Islam" because that is the general theme of this thread.
Original post by SHBK

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it is not Islam to blame, why is it that 66% of the world's terror attacks are committed by 4 Islamic extremist groups?

It is clear that these groups (Boko Harem, Taliban, ISIS etc..) are all linked by a single factor which is Islam, so there must something within the religion that is driving this trend.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending