The Student Room Group

How can I invite myself to interviews at my unis in the few days I'll be in UK?

I'll be in UK in march for about 5 days because a university has already requested an interview from me. So for that period, can I notify my other choices that I'll be there and readily available for an interview? The other universities don't usually require an interview, so I don't know what they'll say.

What to say when I contact them? Do other people do this?

I'll study computer science.
I've never heard of anybody requesting an interview before. I think you'll have to wait and see if they offer you and interview first and then if you can't make that day, explain why (you're not in the UK that day) and then see if they'll rearrange it for a day that you are in the UK.
If you are worried, you could call them and ask if they will require an interview at all and then explain why you ask so they could fit it around the dates you've said, but if the other uni's don't usually interview then they probably won't expect you to come from outside the UK just for a one off interview with them.
Original post by LandOfLogicGates
I'll be in UK in march for about 5 days because a university has already requested an interview from me. So for that period, can I notify my other choices that I'll be there and readily available for an interview? The other universities don't usually require an interview, so I don't know what they'll say.

Do you already hold offers from the other universities? If they don't normally interview, as you say, they may still be happy to arrange for you to meet someone from computer science for a chat and to answer any questions you have, and maybe a tour of the department.

I would contact the admissions office (or better still, someone in the computer science dept who is concerned with admissions - there may be a name on your offer letter or other communications you've had), letting them know that you'll be in the UK and asking if you could meet someone, suggesting the dates that you'll be available. My daughter has done this with one university where she is unable to attend the offer day, and they were very helpful.

Good luck with your application.:smile:
Original post by LandOfLogicGates

you wont be able to invite yourself to attend an interview. however some unis do campus tours and you might be able to book one of them. you may also write to the department explaining you will be visiting their university on such a date and asking whether anybody from the department would be available to show you round
Reply 4
Some unis offer interviews on Skype or Facetime to international students. If they require one at all, they will be aware of the practical limitations of you being overseas, and will be prepared to make suitable alternative arrangements.

Quick Reply

Latest