The Student Room Group
Depends how much drive you've got. If you aren't bothered about pushing yourself, it doesn't need or cause any of those things. If you push yourself as hard as you can, any subject can cause those.
Reply 2
Maybe it requires more determination to do research in maths, because it's entirely possible that you can spend six months doing something which turns out to have no value whatsoever. At least if you do experiments for six months you find out something.

At the level you study it at university though, then no, it doesn't require any of those things any more than any other subject does.
Mmm, I'm not so sure. I did Psychology with Maths and Further Maths at A level, and found it not all that hard to get VERY impressive marks in Psychology coursework, essays and exams, and whilst I did well in Maths too, I would say it took more discipline and mental strength, suffering even, than an essay based subject like Psychology
Reply 4
Maths rocks.
Reply 5
Mmm, I'm not so sure. I did Psychology with Maths and Further Maths at A level, and found it not all that hard to get VERY impressive marks in Psychology coursework, essays and exams, and whilst I did well in Maths too, I would say it took more disciline and mental strength, suferring even than an essay based subject like Psychology

You're comparing apples and oranges: psychology isn't an academic subject!

*ducks*
Reply 6
--
Reply 7
naivesincerity
Mmm, I'm not so sure. I did Psychology with Maths and Further Maths at A level, and found it not all that hard to get VERY impressive marks in Psychology coursework, essays and exams, and whilst I did well in Maths too, I would say it took more discipline and mental strength, suffering even, than an essay based subject like Psychology
I wasn't talking about A Levels, though. Some A Levels are harder than others - this is reflected in the fact that many universities flat-out refuse to consider certain A Levels as evidence of academic achievement.

Latest