The Student Room Group

Sex/Relationship Education at school; the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Scroll to see replies

I remember being told by one teacher all couples regularly have anal sex. We walked out chatting about it along the lines of 'She's just dirty probably'
I was told everything but the most important thing: how to convince a girl to have sex with me in the first place.
I
Original post by lyrical_lie
Hey everyone, I was thinking I really didn't learn much about relationships in school. I don't know if this was because it was a ridiculously catholicy school or if all schools were like this.

The only thing I got was in biology an awful video from inside the human body and a girl fainted. Also my RE teacher told us all that a girl managed to get pregnant without having sex but from foreplay and we should all be careful because we could end up pregnant :facepalm:

What are you entertaining sex ed stories? Or was yours really informative? :h:

We learnt nothing really useful but then of course I did m sex ed in a Catholic school in Ireland.Although I remember a video on teenage girls worrying about breast sizes, at the time me and my friend though it was the funnies **** we ever saw, couldn`t stop laughing(at time I was like 12 I think ). It was really good times ( for me and my friend it was just lolz, but yeah we didn`t actually learn any useful information).Now I feel bad for laughing but at the time I was immature but I guess that's no justification, apologies to anyone who felt offended by this post.
(edited 9 years ago)
The condescending cringe of our form tutor attempting to enstrangle a banana with a condom will never be forgotten...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARe5tEpb99s
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lyrical_lie
I'm the same we were told that we'd go to hell essentially is we used contraception.

This should be classed as child abuse. Seriously these religious schools that teach children this sort of stuff need to be properly clamped down on.

My won exspericne... I can't really remember much. We put a condom on a banana in RE once ^^

I already new the technicalities of it all, what is protection, how to protect against STIs and so on from general osmosis really. Mixture of school and looking it up myself. I had (and still only have) a good abstract scientific understanding of it all but no normal actual human real life experience. My sex life is like reading about sex in a biology text book. :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
This should be classed as child abuse. Seriously these religious schools that teach children this sort of stuff need to be properly clamped down on.

I'm wondering if that is from years ago, or if it is fairly recent. I would have thought that was a problem of the past, but if it's recent then there is still work to be done. Religion should not be an excuse to teach kids dangerous utter BS.

Just be thankful we're not in the USA, where abstinence sex ed is taught in a lot of schools in the more Conservative areas, despite the fact that study after study has proven it to be completely useless.
Primary school we were all separated gender-wise and I don't know about the boys, but we got told about periods etc... Nothing about sex or relationships!
My secondary was a bit rough and a lot of my classmates started seeming to know it all and do it all. I definitely had a "pick it up as I go along" strategy! Schools should be more open about talking about sex, not just "wear a condom or you'll get pregnant and die" but how to deal with the issues surrounding it I.e body image and relationships with other people. Sure most of us when younguns knew where what went and that condoms aren't just balloons but nobody told us how weirdly emotional it would be when we first started or anything lol 😂
Original post by RFowler
I'm wondering if that is from years ago, or if it is fairly recent. I would have thought that was a problem of the past, but if it's recent then there is still work to be done. Religion should not be an excuse to teach kids dangerous utter BS.

Just be thankful we're not in the USA, where abstinence sex ed is taught in a lot of schools in the more Conservative areas, despite the fact that study after study has proven it to be completely useless.

To put it more broadly - religion should not be an excuse to teach children anything. All UK education should be secular, not brainwash children, as proven in Birmingham.
(edited 9 years ago)
Mine was first of all in a C of E school, but they had no problem going through adolescence with us. I remember the separation thing as well, and we were all quite embarrassed.

Secondary school - I was in an all boys school (non-religious). In Year 8 we had a whole day learning about condoms, using beer goggles and dildos as models.

We then had a guy come visit us in year 11 for anti-LGBT discrimination week. Our school were outstanding on everything LGBT apart from the sex education. What I mean is, plenty of support was offered, bullying was really clamped down upon etc etc.

Year 9 we were introduced to the STI pics - gross!

Year 10 - we focused a lot on cancer of the sexual organs - the Know Your Balls campaign for Testicular cancer

Year 12 we didn't learn anything new

Year 13 we learned more on STIs and some stuff about women (I don't remember that much though on the women topic as we didn't cover much on the issues women have). The STIs involved everyone going up after assembly to do a urine sample and get tested. There were gifts offered as an incentive from the visiting company. I remember that there was a plastic watch, but can't remember the other choice.
In Year 6 we learnt about puberty and watched a BBC video on how to wash ourselves then learnt the difference between an uncut and cut penis, then about bodily hair (whilst the girls were in another class learning about bras and pads - literally that's not an assumption). That was all we had in primary.

Then Year 8 we learnt how to put on a condom and about contraception. Then Year 10 we learnt about relationships, a presentation from Stonewall about homosexuality and then about STDs with some pretty grusome pictures shown to us. :tongue:

That was it, the rest of my knowledge comes from the internet!
We started off in year 5 with a "periods and puberty" talk.

In year 6, periods.

In year 7, periods.

In year 8, periods.

In year 9, a contraception lesson from our Physics teacher, who made us all sit in a circle around her on the floor. We played Wink Murder behind her back.

And then in year 10, we watched a series of "personal safety" videos which basically told us not to wear a short skirt on a bus. This was our equivalent of relationship education.

I think I learnt most of my actually useful stuff from Laci Green, Scarleteen and reading erotica my older friends had written at the time.

Original post by Cadherin
To put it more broadly - religion should not be an excuse to teach children anything. All UK education should be secular, not brainwash children, as proven in Birmingham.

We had a girl in our year group who, up until Sixth Form, believed you had a baby because "God gives them to you when you're good" (this girl was Sikh, for reference). Oh, the joy we had translating erotic Latin poetry with her...!

The most worrying part? She's now studying medicine.
(edited 9 years ago)
I honestly can't remember very much. Which is strange because it wasn't *that* long ago (was it?)... I remember there was a video of a woman giving birth. We learned about periods and a teacher put a condom on a banana but that was the extent of what I remember or maybe the extent of what they taught us. I think it's important to delve more into relationships. I think children should be taught about different sexualities, how to practise safe sex and also about domestic violence. It shouldn't be a case of "lets hope it never happens". Rather, it should be "lets educate them in the best way possible in case x,y or z happens".
Posted from TSR Mobile
How's that worrying? People change over time and the fact she studying medicine means she probably got really good grades in all her subjects including science,perhaps maybe even better than you.
Reply 74
Basically nothing. All we were taught was that "when a person tries to do something uncomfortable, keep them away" "Do not let anyone in or go to a friend's house of the opposite gender if there's no one at home" was all that we were taught, from year 7 to year 11.
Watched a woman giving birth to a baby in a bath tub, rolled condoms onto bananas and fell into hysterics seeing femidoms for the first time. :rolleyes:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
We had very little sex/relationships education at my school. One RE teacher told my sister's class that the withdrawal method works and that they should use it :eek: :confused: :facepalm:

Aside from the fact that the withdrawal method is against Catholic teaching anyway, I thought that was very irresponsible of her to say to young girls :mad:

Loool. I was about to say something similar. I remember getting taught by an RE teacher about the withdrawal method >_< He also went on to talk to us about the fertility window and how there is a time during a woman's cycle when she is least fertile and sort of hinting at it being God's natural contraceptive.

I wasn't aware that it was against Catholic teaching though :beard:
We don't have sex ed in my school but I don't feel like I don't know anything. I think having a class like that would be extremely akward and uncomfortable. There are some pretty basic rules anyone knows-don't get stds, don't leave parties with strangers, don't let guys abuse you, use condoms for God's sake! and all that crap- why bother go into details? When having sex, I think everyone is interested enough into researching stuff themselves why feed kids weird crap in school? Well, imo kids in the western countries have A LOT of sex, so that could be a reason - that I get and why sex ed exists in some countries.
The only time I felt like needing advice was when I was 11-13 and my boobs were getting big and everyone was staring and I felt embarassed because I was the only girl needing a bra. Those few years were rather harsh on me but I got over it.
Also, TSR has had some very weird topics on... well you know stuff like that... so I'm not complaining about my knowledge right now I wish I hadn't known all I've seen. I feel like a fu**ing prude though.
Original post by khaleesikate
We had a fairly comprehensive cover of all the different methods of contraception when we had sex education in year 9, the main problem was our teacher absolutely hated men because her ex husband cheated on her while she was pregnant.

She asked one of the boys what he would do if he got a girl pregnant, and when he said he would try and support her, she looked very angry and said "well, thats more than most men do!"

She also told us girls not to look forward to our first time, because it would hurt, we'd bleed and he wouldn't care!

I'd like that teacher 😂

Also, we learned contraception when studying reproduction at biology. I think we had a lesson on hygiene and safety then.
Reply 79
Original post by khaleesikate
We had a fairly comprehensive cover of all the different methods of contraception when we had sex education in year 9, the main problem was our teacher absolutely hated men because her ex husband cheated on her while she was pregnant.

She asked one of the boys what he would do if he got a girl pregnant, and when he said he would try and support her, she looked very angry and said "well, thats more than most men do!"

She also told us girls not to look forward to our first time, because it would hurt, we'd bleed and he wouldn't care!

Woah, she sounds crazy 😮 our biology teacher did most of our sex ed and kept stopping and shouting at us every 2 minutes because the lads kept laughing

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending