The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

uni of exeter parking

Have you taken your car to Exeter? If so where do you park and are there any restrictions E.G. no overnight stay, charges etc. If not, what is the bus service like.. i.e. is it easy enough to get to the uni from your accommodation and into town? Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by lisademaine
Have you taken your car to Exeter? If so where do you park and are there any restrictions E.G. no overnight stay, charges etc. If not, what is the bus service like.. i.e. is it easy enough to get to the uni from your accommodation and into town? Thanks

If you're going into your first year then don't bother. It's far more hassle than it's worth.

For a start if you live either on campus or within the city itself you are not able to apply for a parking permit, meaning that while you can park on campus it's strictly using the pay & display machines, and they operate with a ticket length of 2 hours.

After your first year it's still not really worth it. The vast majority of Exeter operates a residents parking scheme, so if you end up in a house where somebody else has brought a car then you're always going to struggle to find a space for yours, and if you end up living in a house that isn't on a residential parking scheme (there are some, but not many) then you'll find that all of the streets that are free from those schemes are always completely full as a result.

Essentially unless you are living in town and are the only person in your house with a car, and live within a residential parking permit area, or you live in a flat which has dedicated parking spaces, then I personally wouldn't bother with a car at all.

Public transport wise, it's reasonable, there are frequent buses running between campus and the city centre, but it's not necessary really. Even if you're not a fast walker it's 15 minutes at most from Campus to the middle of the city, and damn near every student once they move into their second year will live within a 20 minute walk of campus, so again it's easier just to walk it rather than have the hassle of dealing with buses that are inevitably late. Quite frankly it's usually quicker to walk it.

Personally I did bring my car down to Uni for this year (my 3rd year) but the only reason I did was because the block of flats I live in has a few off road parking spaces, and I was able to rent one of them. If it wasn't for that then I would have left my car at home and made do without it.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending