The Student Room Group

If you had £10,000 where would you invest and why?

Our partners LAT (London Academy of Trading) are hosting a competition with a course on offer asking contestants interested in careers in the financial markets the following question:

If you had £10,000 what would you invest in and why?

We were wondering the same thing.

Let us know what you'd invest in and why you feel it would be a great move in the comments section.

For those who wish to enter the LAT competition, click here: http://lat-contest.pgtb.me/vrfN4j
One thing for sure, I won't be investing it with LSBF :smile:
Stick it all in the CF Woodford Fund
Original post by Runninground
Stick it all in the CF Woodford Fund

Aww come on, his good days are over. I believe he was just lucky.

Original post by London School of Business and Finance (LSBF)
Our partners LAT (London Academy of Trading) are hosting a competition with a course on offer asking contestants interested in careers in the financial markets the following question:

Let us know what you'd invest in and why you feel it would be a great move in the comments section.

For those who wish to enter the LAT competition, click here: http://lat-contest.pgtb.me/vrfN4j

Personally I would invest in index funds/etfs to reduce costs (I currently own some investments in these) and diversify and rebalance into many different asset classes that are uncorrelated with each other somewhat.

I.e:

15% in UK All-Share tracker
20% in US Equity tracker (S&P 500 or broader index)
5% in a good global property tracker
5% in commodities tracker
5% in emerging markets tracker
15% in Developed europe tracker
35% in UK Govt Bonds/Gilts tracker

or invest into some all-in-one solution, 60/40 split equity and global bond funds (not sure if I can state some names)

Throw in some small cap funds or global bonds trackers if you fancy.

Benefits of this strategy:

1) Lower costs than actively managed funds
2) Good performance long term
3) Highly diversified so less volatility

Disadvantages:

1) You wont get a market beating return
2) It's a long term strategy, 5+ years
3) Currency risk exposure if you are investing non domestically - with the case in EM and US/Eur index.
(edited 9 years ago)
In the current economic climate as it stands right now, I would sink the entire fund into crude oil stock as I notice a trough or flatline in the price, as the price has fallen heavily recently and is bound to shoot back up soon, or at least rise steadily. This would only be a short term investment to increase my capital quickly.

I would then re-invest the earnings into modern manufacturing/robot companies/research, as the popularity of machines such as 3d printers is increasing exponentially, with new functions and revolutionary uses being discovered almost daily. The current potential for profit in that industry is shooting up as more practical uses are found, and more 'problems' are solved by 3d printing with advancement in computer aided design and mass production of the product making it economically viable for smaller business or even personal use/purchase. Thus opening up new markets for businesses (such as simpalized design software aimed at standard end users), revolutionalizing manufacture processes with the ability to produce and customize new parts easily, and even home use for entertainment or household use (such as printing objects or tools to fix or build items).

An example for home use could be something like a known faulty product. Instead of a recall/refund, loosing companies money and angering consumers, free blueprints could be released for fixes and manufactured at home, or available as a cheap service from businesses specialized in this.

A result of this is eco-friendlyness, as consumers are more easily able to fix products cheaply, than have to destroy/repurchase, which is often the cheaper solution, especially in technology.

That is why I would invest in 3D printing companies and research, as there are clear high value potentials for the machines which have not yet been properly researched/tested. And lack of demand/availability/skill now will change as 3d printers become cheaper to produce and more user friendly.

I would not personally spread the investment (ie. keeping some in stocks/commodities/securities/low risk investments) due to its low value, I feel it would hit harder and make more difference as well as producing more profit if targeted at a few companies in a single industry or in a single company, as the possibility for equity value growth is much higher.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Anonynmous
Aww come on, his good days are over. I believe he was just lucky.

Not doing bad at the moment, 6.14% up on my original investment.
Original post by London School of Business and Finance (LSBF)

Id take my family out shopping and spend some on them.
Then put the rest in a high interest account of some sort for a while.
Reply 7
I would divide between ten global ETF's.
Reply 8
Surely you need to know intended timescale.

Assuming eternity investment I would consider whether the oil/gas sector has been oversold and if maybe mining has been oversold. If I wanted income as well as growth, or income whilst I waited for growth, the dividend yields in these sectors are interesting.

(Stated interest- have just bought more BP earlier today and already hold BP, Shell, Tullow, Genel, BHP and Blackrock World Mining. With the exception of Genel they are all held to pay a dividend as compensation for the fact that if I have got things wrong the dividend income will be compensation for long term holding until they hopefully come good. Also like and hold for the long term HSBC, Imperial Tobacco, Glaxo, Vodafone, Premier Farnell, Low and Bonnar and John Menzies- I like yield)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending