The Student Room Group

On a scale of 1-10, How much maths is in AS (Not A2) Physics?

Just could use some help, and thought this would be the simplest way?! this is assuming, one is the least, and ten is the most. I don't like maths, but I'm good at it. I'm going to do it for A Levels. Any help is appreciated :smile: (sorry for the rudimentary style of questioning)
Reply 1
7 for G481 on OCR, I don't know about the other exam
Reply 2
I'm doing AS right now and I'd say there is quite a bit, especially in the mechanics module. A lot of the questions you will get in the exam paper will be mathematical, so I'd say about 7. This is for Edexcel, so it could be different for other exam boards.
Reply 3
Original post by drowzee
I'm doing AS right now and I'd say there is quite a bit, especially in the mechanics module. A lot of the questions you will get in the exam paper will be mathematical, so I'd say about 7. This is for Edexcel, so it could be different for other exam boards.

2π out of 10.
G481 OCR - Mechanics - Probably about 9
G482 OCR - idk some other stuff - Probably about 4/5

Mechanics is basically an M1 paper with more words.
For AQA it comes up in every topic pretty much.

Calculating energy in ionisation/excitation, calculating photon energy and pretty much the whole mechanics unit which equates to already a half of the AS.
For AQA unit 1 is basic maths, a GCSE student could do most of it
AQA unit 2 is basically like mechanics for maths with some knowledge needed
For CIE, an 8 - Math is a key cornerstone and the fundamental laguage for Physics
Reply 8
Original post by Asurat
7 for G481 on OCR, I don't know about the other exam

How I envy you OCR A students. OCR B has very little maths and they make up for it by having vague/indecipherable questions to flummox us :frown:

AS Physics on OCR B I'd say 2-3. Basically GCSE level or below. If you're doing A level maths you'll have no problems with it at ALL, the level of maths is annoyingly low.

Quick Reply

Latest