The Student Room Group

Another "sexism" row. Presenter asks tennis player to twirl

Not that i think this is sexist.
Why wouldn't anyone want to see such a fine specimen twirl for them.
Shes lovely to look at.

Here it is anyway.
A sexism row has erupted because a tennis presenter asked this tennis beauty eugenie Bouchard to twirl for him.
It will be interesting to know your thoughts on this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r35Dyk9fze4

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/australianopen/11362222/Sexism-row-erupts-at-Australian-Open-after-Eugenie-Bouchard-and-Serena-Williams-are-asked-to-twirl-on-court.html
Reply 1
Sad but it happens when you got fools as your presenters. I also notice certain people are waiting to start arguments on twitter.
Crass.
Bouchard is a talentless overrated crap, neither is she extraordinary beautiful and she also has a deep voice. Now if the interviewer had asked Sharapova to do a twirl, it would have made sense as she is so damn fine but Bouchard come on lol.
Original post by K1NG93
Bouchard is a talentless overrated crap, neither is she extraordinary beautiful and she also has a deep voice. Now if the interviewer had asked Sharapova to do a twirl, it would have made sense as she is so damn fine but Bouchard come on lol.

She must have a certain amount of talent to have achieved Wimbledon Runner Up. To dispute this would be ignorant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It must have been a slow news day in bra-burner land. She obliged, and then said Serena's outfit was better. She's the only one who has a right to be offended, which she clearly wasn't.
It's not sexist.
It's not sexist. Sexist is the way women are treated in Saudi Arabia, Yemen and even India... But hey I guess feminists don't have the time to argue for them😒😒

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think that was sexist - I can't imagine an interviewer asking Murray or Djokovic for 'a twirl'.

The fact that the girl took it with grace is to her credit, but given that she was on camera and standing in front of thousands of people it's difficult to say that her reaction was necessarily wilful and genuine. I can imagine that moment being quite demeaning for her, actually.

Often these things get blown out of proportion, but when you're standing on the court of Wimbledon and a commentator would rather talk about your outfit, I can understand the anger.
(edited 9 years ago)

well when you market yourself as eye candy thats what happens.
she is eye candy
Original post by TurboCretin
I think that was sexist - I can't imagine an interviewer asking Murray or Djokovic for 'a twirl'.

The fact that the girl took it with grace is to her credit, but given that she was on camera and standing in front of thousands of people it's difficult to say that her reaction was necessarily wilful and genuine. I can imagine that moment being quite demeaning for her, actually.

Often these things get blown out of proportion, but when you're standing on the court of Wimbledon and a commentator would rather talk about your outfit, I can understand the anger.

It was certainly inappropriate for the presenter to ask such a thing but I don't believe it to be sexist.

A 'twirl' refers to what women do in many popular forms of ballroom dance routines. The men don't perform that move. It would be very odd to ask Murray or Djokovic to do a twil for that reason! No a fair comparison at all.

Like someone above said, sexism is treating women like they do in Saudi Arabia.
Original post by Lawyer_Up
It was certainly inappropriate for the presenter to ask such a thing but I don't believe it to be sexist.

A 'twirl' refers to what women do in many popular forms of ballroom dance routines. The men don't perform that move. It would be very odd to ask Murray or Djokovic to do a twil for that reason! No a fair comparison at all.

Like someone above said, sexism is treating women like they do in Saudi Arabia.

Oh sorry, I must have misinterpreted the video. I didn't realise the commentator and tennis player were ballroom dancing. My bad!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending