The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College Medicine Offer Holders 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Helloooo everyone! I interviewed on the sixth of January and got my offer on the 21st. This is so exciting! I'm still shocked. I'll be firming Imperial College.

Just to introduce myself, my name is Francesca and I live in Switzerland :smile:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 41
I forgot to ask: does anyone know the name of the newest student accommodations? They're usually shown on the tour and they're really nice, relatively close to Sir Alexander Fleming building...
Original post by 13yuiop
Helloooo everyone! I interviewed on the sixth of January and got my offer on the 21st. This is so exciting! I'm still shocked. I'll be firming Imperial College.

Just to introduce myself, my name is Francesca and I live in Switzerland :smile:

Are you the girl that sat near me for some of it and your dad spoke to me about league tables, if so you're different to who I thought of originally
Reply 43
Original post by Futuremedic2096
Are you the girl that sat near me for some of it and your dad spoke to me about league tables, if so you're different to who I thought of originally

Hmmm... The student was bashing Queen Mary and my dad brought up the league table where Barts was 4th and Imperial 12th or 13th. I was sitting down for that part on the sofa and you (I think) on the arm (?). Any bells? It sounds like you thought I was someone else. Anyways, it doesn't matter!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 13yuiop

I was there on that day. What do you look like?

Original post by 13yuiop
Hmmm... The student was bashing Queen Mary and my dad brought up the league table where Barts was 4th and Imperial 12th or 13th. I was sitting down for that part on the sofa and you (I think) on the arm (?). Any bells? It sounds like you thought I was someone else. Anyways, it doesn't matter!

Fwiw, league tables don't mean too much. But still, Imperial has always been above Queen Mary (who were ranked 26th just 4 years ago) except for this year.

---------

Leaning more towards Imperial now. AAA would be so calm. I'd need (at least) 64% in Maths, 68% in Biology and ~80% in Chemistry.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 13yuiop

Yeah I know exactly who you are now
Spoke in another language occasionally
Yeah and i was saying it's best to look at uni league tables not individual course tables
Reply 46
Yeah I know exactly who you are now
Spoke in another language occasionally
Yeah and i was saying it's best to look at uni league tables not individual course tables

Yes, I completely agree about the league tables. It was just to bring up the point to discuss.

To "diseasedneckbeard", I was wearing black trousers and blazer, brown shoulder length, curly, italian-looking haha. My interview was scheduled for 2:30 but took place around 3:30? Which person were you?
Original post by 13yuiop
Yes, I completely agree about the league tables. It was just to bring up the point to discuss.

To "diseasedneckbeard", I was wearing black trousers and blazer, brown shoulder length, curly, italian-looking haha. My interview was scheduled for 2:30 but took place around 3:30? Which person were you?

You can quote multiple people by clicking on the +" button next to the reply button, then scrolling down and typing your comment.

I don't remember seeing you. I was 5 ft 9, in a black coat, Indian. If you came in after the tour, you probably wouldn't have seen me.
Original post by diseasedneckbeard
Convince me to firm it over Birmingham.

Birmingham is A*AA
Original post by Rishi1806
Birmingham is A*AA

Grades are one of the factors, but i would assume that most medical schools got at least one A*... so i think it is fine

I don't remember seeing you. I was 5 ft 9, in a black coat, Indian. If you came in after the tour, you probably wouldn't have seen me.

I went to birmingham for interview today, the tour is so nice, and i like the campus so much!!!!! make me want to study there!! the atmosphere is really good as wellll!!!!

Someone convinced me to go to imperial :biggrin:
Original post by DCMed96
I went to birmingham for interview today, the tour is so nice, and i like the campus so much!!!!! make me want to study there!! the atmosphere is really good as wellll!!!!

Someone convinced me to go to imperial :biggrin:

Yeah, I really liked the campus and everything at Birmingham. I'm going to read about the intercalated/6 year course and its benefits, and also whether that option is available at Birmingham.
Reply 51
Anyone else feeling too impatient to wait for the results of their other applications? I'm very tempted to withdraw the rest and just firm Imperial.
Reply 52
Has anyone got an actual email from Imperial yet about the offer? I'm just curious to know really

I assume everyone received their offer via track, since that's what happened to me :L
Original post by ozbilege
So as you guys know I'm an EU applicant :P I have my offer, but I apparently need to send them a completed DBS form and a Statement of Good Conduct. I have no idea what these are. Anyone with any ideas?

Why would they even want a DBS if you're from outside UK? :confused:
Original post by LJB96
Anyone else feeling too impatient to wait for the results of their other applications? I'm very tempted to withdraw the rest and just firm Imperial.

same!!!! that what i want to do!
Reply 55
Original post by LJB96

I can relate to that feeling as I'm planning on firming Imperial, but I'm also curious to see what the other medical schools have to say. Also, I'd get to miss some school to go to London :wink:
Original post by 13yuiop
I forgot to ask: does anyone know the name of the newest student accommodations? They're usually shown on the tour and they're really nice, relatively close to Sir Alexander Fleming building...

Yo
Princes Gardens -Southside and Eastside
Beit is the more Victorian one but has a more community feel from what I have heard
Yo
Princes Gardens -Southside and Eastside
Beit is the more Victorian one but has a more community feel from what I have heard

I'm hoping for a Southside, Eastside or maybe a Beit Single En Suite room :biggrin:

I really don't want to be obligated to sharing a room with someone else from day 1, but I would also not like to share bathrooms with 10 others :P And those halls seem to be the best
Original post by ozbilege
I'm hoping for a Southside, Eastside or maybe a Beit Single En Suite room :biggrin:

I really don't want to be obligated to sharing a room with someone else from day 1, but I would also not like to share bathrooms with 10 others :P And those halls seem to be the best

Completely the same
will not share
Yeah, I really liked the campus and everything at Birmingham. I'm going to read about the intercalated/6 year course and its benefits, and also whether that option is available at Birmingham.

Current Imperial final year here... some 6 years ago, I had offers from Birmingham and Southampton too and was undecided between So'ton and Imperial.

My thoughts at the time was that I preferred a 5 year degree and the people at Imperial taking me around were quite arrogant and I didn't particularly like it... everyone thought I was mad for considering So'ton over Imperial but long story... I ended up at Imperial anyway. 5 and a half years down the line now... I have to say the intercalated degree is A LOT of fun and time flies in medical school. You all probably think 6 years is long now but it goes in no time at all and you start wishing you had longer in uni. So the intercalated year is great for that, it's also really laid back, and adds points for any job applications later on. And if science isn't your thing you can always choose something like medical humanities for your project or do a BSc in management or global health.

Socially, Imperial has always left a little bit to be desired (but I'm not convinced Birmingham with their absurd A* requirement will be socially any more upbeat within medicine - if you had said Leeds, Sheffield... etc) but it really is what you make of it. You will find some of your peers to be scarily padding their CVs at every possible opportunity and it can become a little bit of a pressure cooker at times - which isn't the case in many other medical schools. But hang with the right group and you should be ok. Also, London versus Birmingham as a city... you have to be mad to compare. You're going to be in South Kensington for your first two years, stone's throw from Hyde Park, stunning area, Central London is really close by...

Also, the male to female ratio does suck, and inevitably will have some impact on your social life either way. But you are in London, so it really is what you make of it, you just need to try more to have the same smashing experience! I have enjoyed my almost 6 years here... though by the time you guys start here, I'll be off doctoring :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending