The Student Room Group

DSA Laptop choice help please

Hi there im looking for some advise, i have dyslexia and i am currently studying landscape architecture.

I have been but down to get a basic laptop which is a Intel® Core™ i3 15.6" 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD, Integrated Graphics,

Now My course leader has said that this laptop is not powerful enough for the programs i will be using throughout the course like - autocad for 3D rendering and i will also be using design studio and rhino. photshop indesign etc

My assessor will not change the laptop even though my course leader has emailed her and also my disability adviser, she states that them programs are core programs and not related to my disability and i have uni computers to use for them.

I am a mature student with two children so using the uni computers is not an option as most of my study time is spent at home once school has finished, about 80% of my modules are using core programs so for labeling in autocad or indeign i will need the software that helps me spell on the same computer, it seems completely illogical to have to spell check on one then transfer to another computer to then input it into my work.

I spoke to student finance wales and they said they can not upgrade the laptop to a high spec unless it is changed though my assessor.

can anyone give me some advise on what i should do, i have looked at the complaints process and it seems this is the only way.

sorry for the long post.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 0murtagh0
Hi there im looking for some advise, i have dyslexia and i am currently studying landscape architecture.

I have been but down to get a basic laptop which is a Intel® Core™ i3 15.6" 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD, Integrated Graphics,

Now My course leader has said that this laptop is not powerful enough for the programs i will be using throughout the course like - autocad for 3D rendering and i will also be using design studio and rhino. photshop indesign etc

My assessor will not change the laptop even though my course leader has emailed her and also my disability adviser, she states that them programs are core programs and not related to my disability and i have uni computers to use for them.

I am a mature student with two children so using the uni computers is not an option as most of my study time is spent at home once school has finished, about 80% of my modules are using core programs so for labeling in autocad or indeign i will need the software that helps me spell on the same computer, it seems completely illogical to have to spell check on one then transfer to another computer to then input it into my work.

I spoke to student finance wales and they said they can not upgrade the laptop to a high spec unless it is changed though my assessor.

can anyone give me some advise on what i should do, i have looked at the complaints process and it seems this is the only way.

sorry for the long post.

The laptops are chosen based on your disability. As dyslexia is not a physical condition that stops you from accessing the university machines then I'm afraid you'll be stuck with the basics. The only way you can upgrade the chosen machine is by paying extra for an upgrade.
Reply 2
Original post by KBradders
The laptops are chosen based on your disability. As dyslexia is not a physical condition that stops you from accessing the university machines then I'm afraid you'll be stuck with the basics. The only way you can upgrade the chosen machine is by paying extra for an upgrade.

Well this does not seem right, I have looked on here at other peoples concerns with getting a laptop for the course they are on and some have been given a Mac because they are on a design course. Another example someone who is doing music and video production was given a high spec laptop for the demanding software he uses.. Both these people have dyslexia.

My point is not the fact i have kids and cant use uni computers, its the fact that i will be using core software, most of my written work will be done in indesgin and autocad which will require me to label, tree, flowers, scrubs, etc having a laptop that does not power these core software seems pointless to have to spell check in a inadequate laptop and upload on another machine to input into the core software
That isn't right at all.
My partner had the same problem with his course and laptop. They upgraded his so he can run autocad and matlab on it.
Not by much mind but they did.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well this does not seem right, I have looked on here at other peoples concerns with getting a laptop for the course they are on and some have been given a Mac because they are on a design course. Another example someone who is doing music and video production was given a high spec laptop for the demanding software he uses.. Both these people have dyslexia.

My point is not the fact i have kids and cant use uni computers, its the fact that i will be using core software, most of my written work will be done in indesgin and autocad which will require me to label, tree, flowers, scrubs, etc having a laptop that does not power these core software seems pointless to have to spell check in a inadequate laptop and upload on another machine to input into the core software

But wouldn't you be in the same situation if you weren't disabled? Those people may have had to pay to upgrade.
Reply 5
Hey mate.

If you want a powerful enough computer without having to pay mad cash for a laptop, buy a desktop.

If you're short on cash check out the reddit community "buildapc" and post there, they're very helpful and will find you a PC suitable for what you need on a budget!

edit: just wanted to add that your course leader is right, a laptop will just not suffice for what you'll be needing it for. 3D Rendering takes a lot of processing and graphics power so realistically the ONLY affordable option for 80% of people is a desktop with a mid-range CPU and graphics card. The forum I mentioned is http://reddit.com/r/buildapc there are a lot of FAQ's in the sidebar.

PM me if you have any questions, I can help you personally too
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by OU Student
But wouldn't you be in the same situation if you weren't disabled? Those people may have had to pay to upgrade.

Clearly not as in some forums on here they bost about getting a free mac even though they have 2 other computers.
Reply 7
Original post by diazlol
Hey mate.

If you want a powerful enough computer without having to pay mad cash for a laptop, buy a desktop.

If you're short on cash check out the reddit community "buildapc" and post there, they're very helpful and will find you a PC suitable for what you need on a budget!

edit: just wanted to add that your course leader is right, a laptop will just not suffice for what you'll be needing it for. 3D Rendering takes a lot of processing and graphics power so realistically the ONLY affordable option for 80% of people is a desktop with a mid-range CPU and graphics card. The forum I mentioned is http://reddit.com/r/buildapc there are a lot of FAQ's in the sidebar.

Thanks for the reply and good info, i use to build gaming computers a few years back and sell them on eBay. So yes your right a desktop would be better and cheaper, but when it comes to presentations i will be in a pickle, this is where a laptop would be suitable.

Anyway today i phoned Disabled Students Allowances Quality Assurance Group and they said i have a good case to get it changed and i should go though the complaints process.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Firstly, this not about 'choice' but 'recommended' equipment. You don't get to choose your laptop, you get what is recommended as appropriate for your needs based on evidence (as per DSA regulations).

The provision of Apple computers has been an issue for a number of years, and due to excessive costs, will no longer be supported for September 2015 onwards applicants. Currently Apple's are only provided where the course leader confirms it is the sole operating system to complete coursework. A loose argument in my opinion.

Why do you feel you are a special case require a higher specification computer to support your dyslexic needs? Does your condition stop you from attending university to access the higher specification CAD machines there?

If you apply for DSA for a course starting after September 2015 you will be required to pay the first £200 of any laptop too.
Reply 9
Original post by diazlol
Hey mate.

How does the need to support 3D rendering assist dyslexia then?
Reply 10
Thanks for the reply and good info, i use to build gaming computers a few years back and sell them on eBay. So yes your right a desktop would be better and cheaper, but when it comes to presentations i will be in a pickle, this is where a laptop would be suitable.

Anyway today i phoned Disabled Students Allowances Quality Assurance Group and they said i have a good case to get it changed and i should go though the complaints process.

You could just display the rendered finished projects on a cheap tablet or laptop connected to the projector.

Also I agree with some of the guys above. Doesn't seem moral claiming for more than the prescribed equipment when your disability doesn't affect you using the university's equipment

sent my from my Z3 using tapatalk
There seems to be a lot of harsh people on here.
If all the computers are full come exam time how do they do their work? You are assessed for what you need for your disability as well your course needs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Clearly not as in some forums on here they bost about getting a free mac even though they have 2 other computers.

Yes I have a MacBook Pro through DSA and my own gaming laptop that I purchased myself a year ago before I had painful joints.
The problem was my disability which is a physical disability, a heart condition and painful joints that means I cannot get to university at times. That is disability related. I am on a media course that requires software that is Mac only based.

And in terms of the MacBook Pro, it hasn't even lasted 2 months before needing repairs. It overheats and the keyboard becomes a toaster, besides that it has problems connecting to the printer at times whereas I can print from the Windows machine fine. MacBook's are great for portability with power, but I prefer my Windows laptop because it is far more reliable and dumps the heat through the vents and doesn't try converting the keyboard into an oven. Shame it is huge though.
Original post by deviant182
There seems to be a lot of harsh people on here.
If all the computers are full come exam time how do they do their work? You are assessed for what you need for your disability as well your course needs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the same situation all students would be in though.
Reply 14
It seems to me that the reason you want a more powerful computer is your kids not your disability. I don't think that kids count as a disability for DSA.
Reply 15
Original post by Pariah
It seems to me that the reason you want a more powerful computer is your kids not your disability. I don't think that kids count as a disability for DSA.

If you cared to have read my posts you would have seen i stated it has nothing to do with my kids!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16

I am a mature student with two children so using the uni computers is not an option as most of my study time is spent at home once school has finished,

Really? That isn't how this reads to me, and I note that the DSA assessor posting on the thread agrees.

If you need a computer to do 3d rendering at home because of your dyslexia (not because it's inconvenient) you should make that clearer.
Reply 17
Original post by Pariah
Really? That isn't how this reads to me, and I note that the DSA assessor posting on the thread agrees.

If you need a computer to do 3d rendering at home because of your dyslexia (not because it's inconvenient) you should make that clearer.

Wake up!! don't be so incompetent.

(Original post by 0murtagh0) "My point is not the fact i have kids and cant use uni computers, its the fact that i will be using core software, most of my written work will be done in indesgin and autocad which will require me to label, tree, flowers, scrubs, etc having a laptop that does not power these core software seems pointless to have to spell check in a inadequate laptop and upload on another machine to input into the core software"
(edited 9 years ago)

(Original post by 0murtagh0) "My point is not the fact i have kids and cant use uni computers, its the fact that i will be using core software, most of my written work will be done in indesgin and autocad which will require me to label, tree, flowers, scrubs, etc having a laptop that does not power these core software seems pointless to have to spell check in a inadequate laptop and upload on another machine to input into the core software"

But that's still no different to other students.
Reply 19

What seems pointless to you is irrelevant, but you just go on repeating yourself if it makes you feel better.

Latest