The Student Room Group

Farage against plain cigarette packaging...

Farage has spoken out against plain cigarette packaging. It is concerning to see a politician so apparently against the idea of getting people off cigarettes.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jan/22/plain-cigarette-packaging-pro-soking-ukip-condemn-move

This just shows the scant regard Farage and UKIP have for the health of the country. Farage is supposed to be the man of the people - I think he just gives his loyalty to the highest bidder... like in this example

What a crook.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by InnerTemple
Farage has spoken out against plain cigarette packaging. It is concerning to see a politician so apparently against the idea of getting people off cigarettes.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jan/22/plain-cigarette-packaging-pro-soking-ukip-condemn-move

This just shows the scant regard Farage and UKIP have for the health of the country. Farage is supposed to be the man of the people - I think he just gives his loyalty to the highest bidder... like in this example

What a crook.

I just don't understand this free-market worshipping. He's basically saying, "As far as I'm concerned, you can all go off and kill yourselves as long as you don't intrude into my ideology of a free market!".
Original post by Chlorophile
I just don't understand this free-market worshipping. He's basically saying, "As far as I'm concerned, you can all go off and kill yourselves as long as you don't intrude into my ideology of a free market!".

Indeed. His argument seems two pronged. One is that plain packaging infringes on the market and the other is that such measures will cause harm to the industry.

I'd have thought it would be desirable to have fewer smokers... yet Farage seems to disagree. I wonder whether the installation of cigarette vending machines in schools will be UKIP policy?

I was also not surprised to see Farage citing the Australian experience... using only one side of the story.
Plain packing won't get people off cigarettes. They don't smoke because of that.

This is a very illiberal law and one of the only things I agree with Farage on.

Why are so many people keen on government coercion?
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
Plain packing won't get people off cigarettes. They don't smoke because of that.

It seems to be having some success in Australia.

Anyway, if the plain packaging doesn't have an effect on sales, why is Farage so concerned about the profits of Tobacco companies?
Reply 5

I agree, I'm far from a UKIP supporter, however I really cant see forcing plain packaging is going to make a blind bit of difference to people who smoke or want to start smoking.
Original post by WNB
I agree, I'm far from a UKIP supporter, however I really cant see forcing plain packaging is going to make a blind bit of difference to people who smoke or want to start smoking.

But it does.

Think about it - they introduced it in Australia. If it really had no impact, why would the tobacco industry resist these measures so vigorously in the UK?
But it does.

Think about it - they introduced it in Australia. If it really had no impact, why would the tobacco industry resist these measures so vigorously in the UK?

They also increased the tax on them by 50% which you aren't mentioning.

Because it is against their rights and harms their business? Just because more QUANGO - thought up Public Health policies won't deter people from smoking, doesn't mean it doesn't harm tobacco companies by making it harder to distinguish brands.

It's wrong because it's anti-free market and it's wrong because it's illiberal and paternalist.
Reply 8
But it does.

The tobacco industry will resist ANY measures that are presented to them. This isn't a reliable basis for measuring whether it has worked or not in Australia.
harms their business?

Why?

And tough.
Why?

And tough.

I don't agree with nanny-state government policies. We need less bureaucracy and regulation, not more.

Do you call yourself a liberal?

What a crook.

It won't make a blind bit of difference. I like a bottle of Merlot every weekend. If they made plain packaging for red wine, I would still buy the bottle of Merlot each weekend, with the only difference being that I have to stare a bit longer at the packaging to make sure it's the brand I like.

What a crook.

And yet evidence from Australia shiws their efforts haven't been successful.

I'm an ex smoker, but I do think the way we treat the public is ridiculous. People can make choices.
Farage has expressed support for legalising hard drugs in the past. I don't think his main interest here is in tobacco companies' profits, it's in personal liberty.
Original post by WNB
The tobacco industry will resist ANY measures that are presented to them. This isn't a reliable basis for measuring whether it has worked or not in Australia.

They had some academic on radio 4 this morning explaining that the ban in Australia hasn't really achieved anything.

Recent drop in smoking appears to be linked more to e cigarettes that the thought police tried to ban.
Original post by MatureStudent36
And yet evidence from Australia shiws their efforts haven't been successful.

No it doesn't.

Original post by Observatory
Farage has expressed support for legalising hard drugs in the past. I don't think his main interest here is in tobacco companies' profits, it's in personal liberty.

Does this really affect liberty though? People can still purchase cigarettes if they wish to do so.

What's UKIPs position on gay marriage?
(edited 9 years ago)
It's an absurd policy, really. It is absolutely not the place of the government to comment on ordinary, law-abiding citizens' personal habits. Plain packaging is making a pointlessly intrusive state-sponsored statement that smoking cigarettes is "wrong and should be stopped". Yes, that is broadly true. But it is the right of the individual to make their choice on whether or not they want to smoke.

The role of the state in this matter, if anything, is to inform the populace - through education - of the facts regarding drug consumption. It is then the responsibility of every man and woman to make an informed decision, given all the proper information and facts, on whether or not smoking tobacco - or indulging in any kind of drug - is a risk they want to take.

This is not an issue of economy, or whether or not the profits of tobacco companies might be affected. This is an issue, however minor it may be, of personal liberty and freedom of choice.
I have no respect for Farage and his goons, they dont either share a collective vision. Theyre just a mish mash of failed politicians stitched together to form a Frankensteins mess of a monster. I hope UKIP fail at the general election and fade into obscurity.
Whether you agree with it or not plain packaging does have the effect in reduction of sales. Hence why the ciq companies are going up in arms about it. ALso do you really epxect us to beleive marketing doesn't work? Companies spend vast amounts of money and resources on marketing for a reason.

Personally I'm kind of indifferent. Smokers already pay loads of tax so they are not a financial burden in that they pay for any health problems they get. If you start smoking because the packaging looks cool you are a bit of an idiot. But I don't feel the need to defend tobacco giants either.

Original post by Robertus
It's an absurd policy, really. It is absolutely not the place of the government to comment on ordinary, law-abiding citizens' personal habits. Plain packaging is making a pointlessly intrusive state-sponsored statement that smoking cigarettes is "wrong and should be stopped". Yes, that is broadly true. But it is the right of the individual to make their choice on whether or not they want to smoke.

The role of the state in this matter, if anything, is to inform the populace - through education - of the facts regarding drug consumption. It is then the responsibility of every man and woman to make an informed decision, given all the proper information and facts, on whether or not smoking tobacco - or indulging in any kind of drug - is a risk they want to take.

This is not an issue of economy, or whether or not the profits of tobacco companies might be affected. This is an issue, however minor it may be, of personal liberty and freedom of choice.

Do you think the companies should be able to advertise on children TV then? Since all regulation is pure evil :rolleyes:

You are correct that drug use should be treated as a health and education issue. This includes the drugs that are currently illegal.
(edited 9 years ago)
No it doesn't.

Does this really affect liberty though? People can still purchase cigarettes if they wish to do so.

What's UKIPs position on gay marriage?

Here here Proves beyond reasonable doubt :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending