The Student Room Group

Greatest Overall Snooker Player?

Ronnie? Stephen? Steve?

Scroll to see replies

Ronnie.

The only challenger Ronnie really has in snooker is himself. If he can beat himself, he's unbeatable on the table.
Ronnie. The only argument would be that others were better in relation to the competition at the time. No past greats would dominate as they did in this era. Their styles did form the basis of the modern games in the same way that Ronnie's has. Hence it has moved on.
Still Hendry for me - completely dominated the era he was in but expect Ronnie to overtake him once/if he becomes the most successful Crucible winner.
Ronnie.
Reply 5
I have to say, I think Ronnie is the greatest I've ever seen. However, Stephen was a born winner and is still the number one player, despite what Ronnie has achieved. I'd love to see Ronnie win seven titles - then I think we can remove debate as to who is the greatest. So, although I consider Ronnie the greatest, I still think he has to win two more world titles to be considered the greatest by the majority.
The current incarnation of Ronnie.
Ronnie for me. What's impressive about him is his longevity. He is almost 40 and is still winning the big titles and has been for over 20 years. Davis and Hendry both dominated for a decade each but unlike Ronnie, they didn't have the longevity so Ronnie for me.
Reply 8
Original post by K1NG93
Ronnie for me. What's impressive about him is his longevity. He is almost 40 and is still winning the big titles and has been for over 20 years. Davis and Hendry both dominated for a decade each but unlike Ronnie, they didn't have the longevity so Ronnie for me.

I like how he didn't play for an entire season, returned to the World Championship in 2012 and won it. Most people were amazed at that. I'd love to see Ronnie beat Selby in the World Championship Final, to prove he still has it. I just hope him losing in his first final doesn't convince him he's on the decline, because I think the snooker he's produced this past few years is the best I've ever seen.
Original post by LeeMills77
I like how he didn't play for an entire season, returned to the World Championship in 2012 and won it. Most people were amazed at that.

Indeed. Talk about silencing your critics in style.
It's a no brainer, Ronnie O'Sullivan
It's Ronnie. As others have said his worst enemy is himself.
John Virgo.
Reply 13
Original post by Andy98
Ronnie

Totally agree with you. Whenever he is in his element, its sooo difficult to beat Ronnie. In top form no one is able to hold a candle to him. The last final against Selby was very unlucky (just think about the missed pink ball from the spot), so I hope that he will win in this year.
Reply 15
Original post by Kallisto
Totally agree with you. Whenever he is in his element, its sooo difficult to beat Ronnie. In top form no one is able to hold a candle to him. The last final against Selby was very unlucky (just think about the missed pink ball from the spot), so I hope that he will win in this year.

Yeah I reckon if he can keep himself in the zone mentally he'll definitely be around a few more years. The problem is he easily falls out of that zone and starts making mistakes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Yeah I reckon if he can keep himself in the zone mentally he'll definitely be around a few more years. The problem is he easily falls out of that zone and starts making mistakes

Think the same. Normally he can just be defeated by himself. Apart from that he is the best active snooker player.
Reply 17
Think the same. Normally he can just be defeated by himself. Apart from that he is the best active snooker player.

I think he could well be the greatest of all time when he's in the mood

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
I think he could well be the greatest of all time when he's in the mood

Yeah, that may true, but Stephen Hendry who was retired for some years and Steve Davis (does he still play?) at their best times must not forget.
Reply 19
Yeah, that may true, but Stephen Hendry who was retired for some years and Steve Davis (does he still play?) at their best times must not forget.

I'll admit it is a close call but I still think Ronnie would've pipped them to the posts if he is on form

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest