The Student Room Group

Is he too young?

okay. so me and this guy have been talking alot recently and last night he asked me if anything could happen between us, i said no because of his age - however i do kind of like him. i don't know whether to leave it be or say yep, but when ur older (i know the age gap will still be there but it won't seem as big an issue), when he's in uni or something.

i was wondering if it's morally wrong of me to even entertain the idea of a relationship with this guy (he's 16 i'm 18)? Any comments?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have a friend that is 18 and seeing a 16 yr old, they dont seem to have any problems.

The only thing that may be a problem is you going to university next year, then him going the year/2 years after that, will you be able to get through a long distance relationship?
I only know three couples of whom the guy was noticeably younger than the girl, but two of those couples have been together for a year or more, so it obviously can work. One couple were like 17/19, another were 16/18 and the other were 17/21! So it can work - it's just unusual...

Oh, and morals... **** 'em.
Of course it isn't morally wrong, so long as you are both mature and responsible. It's only two years difference, and he's over the age limit.
Reply 4
If You Like Him M He Likes You, That is What Romance Is All About, Nothing More.

Go For It!
it's not so much about a number, it's more about maturity and if your on the same level...
Reply 6
We're definitely on the same level, i would've considered it otherwise. Thing that worries me is me holding him back, i'll be in Liverpool and he'll be in Cambridge. I don't mind doing the long distance thing, its just while we're still young (well him even younger)... i don't know if this is making sense, but comments are all appreciated. keep them coming
Anonymous
We're definitely on the same level, i would've considered it otherwise. Thing that worries me is me holding him back, i'll be in Liverpool and he'll be in Cambridge. I don't mind doing the long distance thing, its just while we're still young (well him even younger)... i don't know if this is making sense, but comments are all appreciated. keep them coming

How do you mean holding him back?
Even though he'll be in Cambridge, he will have experienced life less than you. You will be more wise and mature.
Morally wrong? The question doesn't even have an ethical dimension. Jeez. If you think it could work, go for it. You're both over the age of consent, so why not?
Reply 10
hmmm, is it a bad thing that i may be more "wise and mature"?

I know my friends will take the royal piss, they're all +9 months older than me, so the age gap they will see as highly amusing.

Also i turned 18 about 3 months ago he's 17 early next year i think... but still.

I've always gone for guys who are older in the past - what do i have to expect (if anyone has any personal exp. from having a relationship with a younger guy)?
Age is just a number! Having said that, I wouldn't reccommend a 16 year old going out with a 68 year old! But the 2 year age gap isn't that big at all!
Reply 12
darkfairy753
:ditto:

I was 14 and my boyfriend was 16 when we first met. We're still together 3 years later.

As great as that is to hear, honestly its great that u 2 can make that commitment... but i think it's less socially acceptable for a girl to have a relationship with a guy her junior... i am right in saying that aren't i?
Oh yeah, definitely. Some people will say that it's only because the girl can't attract anyone her age.
^hah havent heard that one before
Reply 15
What's the difference between the girl being older or the guy being older? I really don't get it when people make a big deal out of an older girl with a younger guy but the other way around it's acceptable :rolleyes:

My boyfriend is 18mths younger than me (I'm 21, he's 19 and a half) and we;ve been together for over 5 years without any problems concerning age or maturity :smile:

I say go for it, you won't know if you don't try :biggrin:
Reply 16
blackswan
^hah havent heard that one before

I have unfortunately. I know i should'nt care what people think but i do - its just the way i am.
that age is fine! my mate in year 11 was seeing a year 8. now thats wierd.
Anonymous
that age is fine! my mate in year 11 was seeing a year 8. now thats wierd.

which one is in year 11 the boy or the girl?
Reply 19
My ex girlfriend was 25 when I was 19 and the age wasnt an issue but her ex boyfriend was. lol

Latest

Trending

Trending