The Student Room Group

The most complicated relationship

Background info
Me: 19 and first year at uni
Boyfriend: 23 soon and doing his masters

We met the summer I turned 17 and he had just turned 20 a few months previous. We have been together 2.5 years. Its a typical relationship where there is ups and downs. We care about each other very much and are truly smitten by each other and in love.

The Complication

The September after we met he did a years placement from uni teaching in the school I attended for A-Levels. We tried so hard to stop the relationship, but it got to the point where we missed each other so much we needed to be together. I know it sounds awful. Anyway we kept the whole relationship a secret because of this, and also his sister was one of my teachers so that caused an extra problem. His family and friends along with my friends and a lot of my family do not know the relationship exists or that we know each other in any way.

Up until now it has still been a secret. However, we attend the same uni this year. Since we need to tell his family etc. we decided to wait until semester 2 to tell them and explain that we met there since we travel on the same buses and its quite a small university.

He wants to start telling his family next month and to be honest I am terrified. I'm so scared in case because his sister taught me she wont accept me. Furthermore, his mum sounds incredibly scary.

I always dreamt of this time when we could be free to have a proper open relationship however now that it has come I feel so anxious about it. I am so so scared of loosing him and his family preventing us being together.

I just need some advice and moral support from somewhere.
Reply 1
Is this the most complicated relationship? LOL What a dramatic title!

OP, just tell them. Your sister doesn't teach you anymore, so who cares?
Reply 2
He was in a position of trust during the placement year which makes it illegal. If his family ever found that out or anyone else for that matter it would cause huge problems.

Original post by catsis
Is this the most complicated relationship? LOL What a dramatic title!

OP, just tell them. Your sister doesn't teach you anymore, so who cares?

Its his sister.

She told him that if he ever dated one of her pupils or past pupils she'd be incredibly angry.
I am stressing about this and worrying so much about the fact it could mean me losing him.

So if you have nothing helpful to say then please refrain from posting
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
He was in a position of trust during the placement year which makes it illegal. If his family ever found that out or anyone else for that matter it would cause huge problems.

Its his sister.

She told him that if he ever dated one of her pupils or past pupils she'd be incredibly angry.
I am stressing about this and worrying so much about the fact it could mean me losing him.

So if you have nothing helpful to say then please refrain from posting

It's his sister. Would she report him? Probably not.
Reply 4
Original post by catsis
It's his sister. Would she report him? Probably not.

I'm not saying she is going to. I'm worried that she won't accept me etc.

Look I came to this forum looking for advice. You are being quite upsetting so please leave me alone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending