The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Also people saying that you wouldn't be able to work in engineering without a degree are wrong. I know a guy that doesn't have a degree, just has a lot of experience and can read/construct from electrical diagrams better than most engineers with a degree. So he is now working for a big aerospace company and has gotten out of debt for the first time in years. It's not just a one off thing. Work hard and you'll do well. Also well done to OP, you've worked hard and deserve it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well congratulations, it's all about contacts and experience. I am working in a warehouse type job I passed my degree which is in Maths last summer and I am slowly loosing my brain cells doing repetitive work and tasks. And what pisses me off is people who clearly don't have degrees/Alevels being my managers bossing me about and shouting at me with their broken English.
And I am stuck on minimum wage doing housekeeping lol but very well done :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It all depends on the job, you definitely couldn't do that for some jobs, but business related jobs seem to let you get away with it.

Congratulations though.

p.s I wouldn't be bothered about not getting a degree if I were you. Id be advertising it like a right nob.
A salary of 77k after 4 years is an absolute dream for most people, even in your industry. It is unheard of, but well done to you. Most people in your previous position would have ended up with a 'not so great' job... you've got very lucky, but at least you acknowledge that. Do you regret not completing you degree?
Original post by neverlosehope
Hi All,

This post is going to be part informative, part humble brag, partly me getting something off of my chest that I have NEVER told anyone, but mostly me showing you that there's always hope.

I went to a very mediocre university, I studied computing with business, I passed the first year and got all 50% grades, I passed the second year with grades from 40% to 60%. I failed the final year, I handed in no coursework, I missed all of the exams and I only wrote 320 words of my planned 10,000 word dissertation.

Fast forward 4 years and I'm a manager at a very well known business consultancy firm earning £77,000 per year (excluding bonus which is up to 20%).

How did I do this? Experience and confidence.

When I was in my third, I took a year out to do a placement. The placement was with a very well known management consultancy. At the time, I was predicted to get a 3rd and they required a predicted 2:1. I got my tutor to write me an awesome letter of recommendation and I was very confident in my interviews plus I had done a significant amount of research and preparation before the 4 round interview process.

I was incredibly excited when I got the placement offer. The experience I gained in that one year set me up for life.

When I failed me degree (saw it coming a long way off), I became depressed, I could no longer take the job offer from the management consultancy as they required a 2:1. Luckily for me, I'd picked up some wicked software development skills over the previous few years, I used my experience at the management consultancy plus my software development skills to get myself a 30k job straight after failing my degree.

During the interview, my failed degree was never talked about even though I had is listed on my CV. It was listed as a Diploma of Higher Education (that's what you get when you only pass two years of your degree).

After being at this job for 2 years. I looked for a higher paying job and got a 46k offer at another software company. Again, they did not questions my education. They only cared about my experience.

Rinse and repeat this process until the current day. I applied for a managers job at a very well known consultancy. They accepted me based on my experience. This was also the first time my education was ever questioned. I explained that I did not complete my degree for various reasons (I did not lie). They mainly cared about my experience and what I could bring to the clients I would be working with.

I'm now a manager earning 77k.

It's funny when I look at other people from my Uni who actually got their degree. Most of them are still far more junior than me and earning a lot less than me.

This is the first time I have ever told anyone about failing my degree. Even my girlfriend (recently broken up) and parents don't know.

This is not supposed to be a 100% brag. It's supposed to be showing you that no matter how ****ed you are right now, you can recover if you are smart about it. Don't seek advice from the average person, that person can only give you average advice.

One more thing, I've been in debt (over 4k) twice and both times managed to pay it off (long before earning a good salary) but that's a story for another day.

I have never lied, I have never cheated, I am a smart guy and I'm actually very good at what I do (which is why I get paid well). My experience speaks for itself and my education has been explained to my employer (and countless recruiters). Experience and ability trump everything (well, most things).

Don't lose hope and.... ask me anything...

(please excuse any typos, I typed this on a tablet).

Well done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi All,

This post is going to be part informative, part humble brag, partly me getting something off of my chest that I have NEVER told anyone, but mostly me showing you that there's always hope.

I went to a very mediocre university, I studied computing with business, I passed the first year and got all 50% grades, I passed the second year with grades from 40% to 60%. I failed the final year, I handed in no coursework, I missed all of the exams and I only wrote 320 words of my planned 10,000 word dissertation.

Fast forward 4 years and I'm a manager at a very well known business consultancy firm earning £77,000 per year (excluding bonus which is up to 20%).

When I was in my third, I took a year out to do a placement. The placement was with a very well known management consultancy. At the time, I was predicted to get a 3rd and they required a predicted 2:1. I got my tutor to write me an awesome letter of recommendation and I was very confident in my interviews plus I had done a significant amount of research and preparation before the 4 round interview process.

I was incredibly excited when I got the placement offer. The experience I gained in that one year set me up for life.

When I failed me degree (saw it coming a long way off), I became depressed, I could no longer take the job offer from the management consultancy as they required a 2:1. Luckily for me, I'd picked up some wicked software development skills over the previous few years, I used my experience at the management consultancy plus my software development skills to get myself a 30k job straight after failing my degree.

During the interview, my failed degree was never talked about even though I had is listed on my CV. It was listed as a Diploma of Higher Education (that's what you get when you only pass two years of your degree).

After being at this job for 2 years. I looked for a higher paying job and got a 46k offer at another software company. Again, they did not questions my education. They only cared about my experience.

Rinse and repeat this process until the current day. I applied for a managers job at a very well known consultancy. They accepted me based on my experience. This was also the first time my education was ever questioned. I explained that I did not complete my degree for various reasons (I did not lie). They mainly cared about my experience and what I could bring to the clients I would be working with.

It's funny when I look at other people from my Uni who actually got their degree. Most of them are still far more junior than me and earning a lot less than me.

This is the first time I have ever told anyone about failing my degree. Even my girlfriend (recently broken up) and parents don't know.

This is not supposed to be a 100% brag. It's supposed to be showing you that no matter how ****ed you are right now, you can recover if you are smart about it. Don't seek advice from the average person, that person can only give you average advice.

One more thing, I've been in debt (over 4k) twice and both times managed to pay it off (long before earning a good salary) but that's a story for another day.

I have never lied, I have never cheated, I am a smart guy and I'm actually very good at what I do (which is why I get paid well). My experience speaks for itself and my education has been explained to my employer (and countless recruiters). Experience and ability trump everything (well, most things).

That's poverty line bro. 77k is naught.

I'll be earning 200k+ as my dad is a manager at a top London firm :wink:
Original post by Plastic Face
That's poverty line bro. 77k is naught.

I'll be earning 200k+ as my dad is a manager at a top London firm :wink:

lol yeah ok

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi All,

When I was in my third, I took a year out to do a placement. The placement was with a very well known management consultancy.

The experience I gained in that one year set me up for life.

Luckily for me, I'd picked up some wicked software development skills over the previous few years, I used my experience at the management consultancy plus my software development skills to get myself a 30k job straight after failing my degree.

They mainly cared about my experience and what I could bring to the clients I would be working with.

This is not supposed to be a 100% brag. It's supposed to be showing you that no matter how ****ed you are right now, you can recover if you're are smart about it.

I know what I'm going to be doing when I go Uni next year :biggrin:.
Thanks for sharing this, it's a great example of what's needed to succeed in life. Even at Uni, more than likely you'll be doing work placements anyway so this just shows one of the ways that you can capitalise on that aspect. Perseverance is a skill I will have to remember to use.

Who knows, maybe in a few years time I'll be holding a 1:1 MEng and doing just as well!
Hi All,

Had you headed for academia, they would have closed the door in your face. Metaphorically. :tongue:
You are just lucky. :cool:
Original post by anonwinner
I hate stories like this. You're basically encouraging students to not work as hard as they can because it will all work out for them anyway. You are a VERY lucky person, you're not 'smart' (like you describe yourself) if you went to a bad uni and still failed all your uni work, you're simply lucky. 99% of people who were in your situation would have ended up with a terrible job.

I disagree.

It teaches people that they haven't "locked in" after they graduate; in the exact same way, a lot of people take their foot off the gas after their degree and just settle, never really getting anywhere even if they graduated with a good classification from a top university.
(edited 9 years ago)
very well done, but you are very lucky; though you have acknowledged this!

clearly you are an exceptional case; and your ability in your profession has outweighed your lack of a degree. For most this probably won't be the case.
Typical of the snobs on here. Guy does well with no degree so the instant response is 'oh they got lucky'. If this was someone with a degree you wouldn't be saying that. You seem to be incapable of understanding that you can market yourself and show passion, determination and drive to succeed without a degree as well. Even with a degree you need someone to take a chance on you. It really does show that whilst the academics on here may be great at passing exams when it comes to the real world they're incredibly sheltered. Also, the vast majority of people i know who are rich have no degrees and they include some family members as well worth millions.

Original post by redferry
You're just lucky the job you wanted doesn't require a degree. If you'd wanted too be an engineer or an academic you'd be a bit screwed.

The vast majority of people don't want to be academics. The vast majority of academics do not earn anywhere near what the OP is earning. Also, you do not need a degree to be an engineer. I don't know where you got such rubbish from honestly.

Original post by Potally_Tissed
Very much this. IT is all about experience.

How is she right then? IT, Engineering and other practical jobs are all about on the job experience (doesn't require a degree) and pardon the pun, networking. The vast majority of jobs in these areas do not require a degree and if you have a proven track record elsewhere with a solid portfolio you'll be snapped up in no time. The vast majority of my friends are working for games development companies and have no degree whatsoever. They went straight from a college level course into an entry level position before progressing.

Original post by Mad Vlad

The amount of snobbery and panic that I see on here by people that think going to a Russell Group/Oxbridge uni is literally the only way they'll ever be successful is ridiculous. If you're good enough, you can succeed with far less.

Good for you, OP :smile:

Probably the most sensible comment on the thread.

Original post by anonwinner
I hate stories like this. You're basically encouraging students to not work as hard as they can because it will all work out for them anyway. You are a VERY lucky person, you're not 'smart' (like you describe yourself) if you went to a bad uni and still failed all your uni work, you're simply lucky. 99% of people who were in your situation would have ended up with a terrible job.

People don't only work hard in academia and to suggest someone is lucky for showing grit and determination to get their foot in the door elsewhere after struggling in their third year is just blatant snobbery. Its typical of TSR with people that those who have degrees believe they're owed something and those who don't have them and do well have got lucky to be where they are. A degree does not entitle you to a job at all. People need to get real.

Original post by hellodave5

First you need to be very very intelligent and have applied this in your own time to something practical - like programming. You also need a hell of a lot of luck, like getting your foot in the door, as you did.

You need luck with a degree. You need the people during interviews to like you. You need to come across correctly during telephone interviews. You need assessment centres, if you undertake them, to go your way. Lets not pretend those without degrees got their purely due to luck. The concept of grit, hard work and a desire to achieve do exist outside the academic world regardless of what the academic boffins on here would have you believe.

Original post by _Caz_
Also people saying that you wouldn't be able to work in engineering without a degree are wrong. I know a guy that doesn't have a degree, just has a lot of experience and can read/construct from electrical diagrams better than most engineers with a degree. So he is now working for a big aerospace company and has gotten out of debt for the first time in years. It's not just a one off thing. Work hard and you'll do well. Also well done to OP, you've worked hard and deserve it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is a great post.

Finally, well done to the OP. You arguably worked harder than someone with a degree because you had to convince someone that although you failed your final year you were still more than capable of doing the job on offer and would overcome recent failure to do so. Congrats.
So does this mean that next year,rather than take a 6th higher or go to college twice a week you would recommend work experience? Congratulations by the way!😂
Reply 74
Management. :frown: hope you still get to do some programming. Congrats on the $$$
Probably my final post here.

To address the haters - yes, there's always some luck involved, that's true for everything, including getting a degree. How lucky that you could understand the lecturers accent, how lucky that you were living in conditions that allowed you to study, how lucky that you had support from the people around you. Hard work, being smart and luck. That's always the secret sauce.

Now let me tell you what the point of my post was - to let everyone know something that NO BODY at Uni is telling you. For the most part, in most industries, experience is the most important thing.

If you think I am not valuing getting a degree, then you're are wrong.

I will be getting my BSC (top up) and MSC over the next few years but I'm doing that for personal / interest reasons (always wanted to get PhD, would love to work at CERN or Nasa doing ML / AI).

I am where I am now, I'm doing well in the tech consulting business. I am there because I had some amount of luck, but isn't it funny how out of everyone on my course that applied for the same placement as me (23 people), I am the one that got it? When I spoke to these people about their interviews, they told me that they had all manner of difficulties answering certain questions about technology and industry trends - I did not struggle with any of those questions because I spent a very long time and a lot of work learning my trade and researching the industry, I spent years doing this before even thinking of getting a job.

I got lucky, but I always worked very very hard. Secret sauce = hard work, smart moves, and luck. I don't know what the percentage split is their, but to claim it's mostly luck ignores all the hard work. I would never claim getting your degree was mostly luck. I would never claim a promoted CEO is a CEO out of mostly.

I guess the fact (most of us) we're born to a rich country on the first world side of the world makes us the luckiest of all.

Whatever you want to, get experience and be smart, the luck just comes as a side effect.
Original post by redferry
Both people I know who failed their degrees do similar jobs to you.

As does my friend who got a 2:2 in physics (I know, not a fail, but generally seen as substandard)

These types of sectors seem to be taking on more and more people without degrees.

I mean a couple of the big 5 consultancies have just started recruiting from A level. I think well see more and more shift towards that as time goes by.

'from Alevel'..?

A level of some form of evidence would be required here, my good Sir..

(although, there is that small voice, after reading this; going: damn! i need to step my game up..!)

Must be a serious lack of people in your line of business if 4 years and failing something so many people can do, still gets you manager.
I got lucky, but I always worked very very hard. Secret sauce = hard work, smart moves, and luck. I don't know what the percentage split is their, but to claim it's mostly luck ignores all the hard work. I would never claim getting your degree was mostly luck. I would never claim a promoted CEO is a CEO out of mostly.

You make me laugh, when I joined my current job one of the partners at some point invited me for a chat. So I asked him how to get ahead, and he literally said everything except hard work.

Because hard work is a given. Everyone works hard. If they don't they get gone. That's is like a pre requisite.

So go shove your hard sauce somewhere else.

ps maybe if you had worked hard at uni you wouldn't have failed your degree.
Reply 79
Original post by nixonsjellybeans
A 30k job straight after failing your degree?? :eek: Where on earth did that come from? You very very lucky chap :smile:

I believe that's pretty standard for software engineers with a bit of experience and obviously the OP has the DipHE too

Latest

Trending

Trending